Is there really such thing as as a no steep recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
@IDJoel ok it was going to drive me crazy.......
It was posted in the TFA flavoring thread, post #6759.
At some later point he mentioned the addition of marshmellow and cutting back the sweet cream.
I mixed this and never looked back, pretty much have stuck to the original recipe.
Oh and he did name it: My Sweet Menthol.......
But I like Rock de Menthe better........LOL

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@IDJoel ok it was going to drive me crazy.......
It was posted in the TFA flavoring thread, post #6759.
At some later point he mentioned the addition of marshmellow and cutting back the sweet cream.
I mixed this and never looked back, pretty much have stuck to the original recipe.
Oh and he did name it: My Sweet Menthol.......
But I like Rock de Menthe better........LOL
Awesome @Tmebs! I really appreciate you going through all that extra trouble for me. I like to have author info if I ever want to share a recipe so I can give proper credit. Original post source is nice so I can refer to author notes as well as other's comments and reviews.

I appreciate it my friend! :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@IDJoel, can't find the thread. It was definitely on this forum and definitely Sgt. Rock.
It was given by him within a thread (no name I can remember) as a starting point recipe. And at some later time commented that he lowered the sweet cream and added marshmellow. Thats when I started mixing it. My recipe card and 1st notes are dated feb. 9th, 2015.
Lets call it Rock de Menthe!!!
Sorry for the tardy reply. I figured out why this was such a bear to resurrect; Sgt.Rock limits access to his ECF info. That removes all his posts from any search results.

I got everything I needed so I am all good now. Again, I appreciate you sharing the recipe, and I really appreciate you going the extra mile to satisfy my OCD. You deserve a cookie! Thank you! :D

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Been using this recipe everyday since 2/15.
A recipe by Sgt. Rock on this forum.

All TFA
2% Menthol
2% Koolada
7% Creme de Menthe
8% Sweet Cream
1-2% Toasted Marshmellow

I tried a FW CdM and didn't care for the flavor, went back to TFA
Also tried TFA Marshmellow and went back to Toasted.

I started with 30 ml batches and now make 90 ml batches, but over the two years with equipement upgrades the 90 mls. last about the same amount of time the 30 ml batches used to last me.

I use (now) about 8mls a day (1 boreas tank) so I mix about every 11-12 days and I don't really experience a flavor change with this mix. ( this is heavy sweet cream, don't know what it would taste like if I gave it a 4 week steep)

I smoked methol (Salems) for 39 yrs and this one just does it for me. I never had any luck with peppermint or spearment or wintergreen. They always ended up tasting like bad mouthwash or toothpaste to me.

I love TFA Creme de Menthe!!!

Good luck, happy mixing

Made this yesterday, tried today and I LOVE IT!!!!!! This is my new ADV. THANK YOU!

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Now I want another awesome no steep recipe! Anyone have anything more to share?
I do not.

The best way to avoid having to wait is by starting now mixing up a few big batches and 1 or 2 that are shake n vape friendly to vape on while the others steep, then mix a few more in a few weeks. Back in Oct/Nov I mixed up about 1.5 liters over the course of a week which I am now vaping on. Then I mixed a few big batches at the end of Nov, and a few more at the end of Dec and I will be mixing more at the end of Jan. I literally have over 3 liters of juice steeping right now and am vaping on juice I mixed in Oct/Nov that is well steeped.

fcC0u25.jpg

That big bottle one from the end on the right is 500ml. Most are 120ml batches with a few 220ml batches on the far left in the center row of the stand, and starting the long row (with one 220ml batch hidden by the bottles on the stand).

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I do not.

The best way to avoid having to wait is by starting now mixing up a few big batches and 1 or 2 that are shake n vape friendly to vape on while the others steep, then mix a few more in a few weeks. Back in Oct/Nov I mixed up about 1.5 liters over the course of a week which I am now vaping on. Then I mixed a few big batches at the end of Nov, and a few more at the end of Dec and I will be mixing more at the end of Jan. I literally have over 3 liters of juice steeping right now and am vaping on juice I mixed in Oct/Nov that is well steeped.

fcC0u25.jpg

That big bottle one from the end on the right is 500ml. Most are 120ml batches with a few 220ml batches on the far left in the center row of the stand, and starting the long row (with one 220ml batch hidden by the bottles on the stand).

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Fozzy71

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure. I was in your spot when I first started DIY in Aug/Sept trying to find recipes that I could vape right away and trying various speed steeping methods. Now I have so much juice steeping it would likely take me 4 - 6 months to vape it all if I stopped mixing right now.

Reactions: ChelsB

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
The best way to avoid having to wait is by starting now mixing up a few big batches
Sorry Fozz, perhaps it is just a choice of words, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. I am not a "fan" of mixing large quantities of anything that are untried/untested. By all means; mix up many small (15mL, 10mL, even 5mL) trials of potentially interesting recipes. But I see very little benefit of mixing up a larger volume (and committing those resources) to something I have no idea whether I will like. I can accomplish the same thing, with less resources, and faster results (less volume results in faster blending/equilibrium), if I am willing to ration the results a bit more conservatively.

Once you get an acceptable recipe, by all means, mix to your heart's content. But why would you want to commit a half liter worth of material to something you have no idea whether you will like or not.

I can mix up 8 different 15mL "samples" and, alternating through all 8, can have more than a month's supply vaping 10 (ish) mL/day for less than one "unknown" 400mL batch.

I am also not a proponent of blindly aging everything without tasting along the way. Yes it may be perfectly vapable, but how would you ever know that "it was at its best" after only "three days (or insert number here)" unless you are tasting all along the resting period?

I respect that your method works for you. I just am not sure it is right for everyone; at least until they explore the journey to get there.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Sorry Fozz, perhaps it is just a choice of words, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. I am not a "fan" of mixing large quantities of anything that are untried/untested. By all means; mix up many small (15mL, 10mL, even 5mL) trials of potentially interesting recipes. But I see very little benefit of mixing up a larger volume (and committing those resources) to something I have no idea whether I will like. I can accomplish the same thing, with less resources, and faster results (less volume results in faster blending/equilibrium), if I am willing to ration the results a bit more conservatively.

Once you get an acceptable recipe, by all means, mix to your heart's content. But why would you want to commit a half liter worth of material to something you have no idea whether you will like or not.

I can mix up 8 different 15mL "samples" and, alternating through all 8, can have more than a month's supply vaping 10 (ish) mL/day for less than one "unknown" 400mL batch.

I am also not a proponent of blindly aging everything without tasting along the way. Yes it may be perfectly vapable, but how would you ever know that "it was at its best" after only "three days (or insert number here)" unless you are tasting all along the resting period?

I respect that your method works for you. I just am not sure it is right for everyone; at least until they explore the journey to get there.

I learned that the hard way. Was making 30 ml and have had to dump several....wish i would've started with 5

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5

I skipped the part where I did a ton of 20 ml testers in 30 ml bottles and speed steeped them in a crock pot to decide what I wanted to mix into big batches.

If I wasn't a fan of a particular 20ml tester I would mix it with something I did like then vape the combined testers which were usually better than the one I didn't care for but yet not as good as the better of the testers. While not ideal it was still better than having to dump it down the drain. 4 of the 120ml bottles I have steeping are combinations of 6 x 20ml testers that I liked just fine but I wanted to free up my tester bottles so I just combined them all.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
Bust-a-Nut (credit Alisa Borek)
Bavarian Cream (FW) 3%
Butter Pecan (FW) 4%
Hazelnut (FW) 7%
Sweet Cream (FW) 5%
Sweetener (Sucralose) (FW) 1%

I have substituted CAP & TFA Bavarian Cream, Sweet Cream as well as TFA Sweetener in this @ the same %'s with no noticeable differences. Good shake & vape, but much better after 3 days to a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread