Is this a good idea? (mechanical mode related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

First of all, this is my first post, and my apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, I did search the forum, but did not find an adequate reply. I've been vaping for 6 months now, I am a former cigar smoker, and I'm currently using a simple ego-type battery, 22mm.

My question is the following: These ego tend not to last very long, the button has started to let me down, and I'm looking for a small battery (2.2cm width, no more than 6-7cm length), hoping it'll last longer. I've seen that some mechanical mods are just that size, and look exactly like what I want; simple-looking, plain steel and discreet. They also seem cheaper than the electro Dicodes mods.

Would it be a good idea to use a tiny mechanical mod with my atomisers (brit mini, guardian, nautilus 2, I exclusively vape above 1.0 ohm), or is it a waste of time and effort? I should add that I'm not very good with fixing stuff and building things. Any other suggestions, or am I missing anything?

And before you ask, no, I do not want a box mod, as I tremendously enjoy the cigar shape of these devices, more so with cigar n.e.t liquids inside. :)

Apologies again if this is a daft question, but your help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Reactions: SK1LL

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you really want simple, easy factory coil setups, take a look at something like an iCare 160. Simple design but it's an integral tank. For something to use with your other tanks, maybe an EHPro Mod 101. 50W, sorta the same look as the Dicodes, with a simple to adjust menu and works fine with your current tanks.

Why didn't I mention a mech? Well first, they tend (not always) to not do great with factory coils. If a coil has a problem, which factory coils can frequently occasionally have, you'll have a bigger problem on a mech than a regulated mod. No protection circuits. Which is why building and testing your own coils generally works better.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
I'd steer clear of the Mechs if I was you.

Factory coils + a Mech mod sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Reason I went into building my own coils was the amount of faulty factory coils I bought, last thing you want is one shorting.

Mechs are brilliant (subjective of course) but you have to be so careful as can be very dangerous if not treated correctly. A regulated device (like you have now) has numerous safety features built in so if the worse does happen, you will be safe. A Mech has none of those.

I'm sure someone here can recommend a great tube style regulated to you.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
So basically, you're looking for something along the size of a 16500 battery.
Why? Will an 18-series not fit in the 2.2cm form factor he wants? Last I checked, that's what all my 22mm devices took...

6-7cm long might be a little short to fit a 650 in but an 18490 or 18500 should do the trick.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
The new Ehpro Mod 101 is a regulated tube mod. It will do what you're asking, and provide plenty of room to grow, as well. They are a biy scarce, though...

There are also longer lasting unregulated tube mods on the market, as well... the Kanger Subvod C springs to mind... it's an 18 mm device and would look nice with a Nautilus Mini...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Mechanical mods are for advanced users only, who understand the risks and dangers of vaping without any safety nets.
These are not plug and play devices.

Never use factory coilheads on a mechanical mod.
They have very thin cheap rubber insulators and can easily short.
They are not desinged to be used with mechanical mods.

You need a full understanding of battery safety and how ohm's law relates to vaping on a mech.

Check out @Baditude 's blog for a fantastic introduction to mech mods.

Vape safe.
Know your gear.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm a mechanical mod guy, but that said, it being a good choice depends on your background & knowledge of electrical applications. YOU are the only safety feature, so if you don't know ... don't go there.

My experience is that if you have to ask, you probably don't know enough about electrical (different than electronic) to be using one ... yet.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2016
    If you want a regulated tube mod try to find a Provape P3! Provape decided to close a few weeks ago but their mods are great and I guess there must be still available!

If money is not a problem try Dicodes, I don't have one but learned that they are as good if not better than Provape

Dani Extreme v3 at Dicodes seems a great option!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Reactions: RainSong

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    You're not going to find any tube mods with replaceable batteries and variable output at less than 70mm. A provari mini using an 18350 battery comes in at 90mm.
    There's a plethora of fixed battery 22mm tube mods out there though such as the Joyetech AIO or Kangertech Subvod.
    You need to decide if you want a small mod with no features or a slighlty longer mod which you can customise to your tastes.
    It's surprising how quickly you can get used to a bigger mod once you realise the infinitely better experience you get from it over a fixed voltage tube....

Thanks everyone, it's been really helpful. I now have confirmation of what I suspected, i.e. that mods are definitely aimed at a different crowd. I had a look at the Ehpro Mod 101, and it seems like an interesting option: using only the bottom part with a 18350, I might get close to the size I'm after. Or just go for a Dicodes, we only live once. :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Hey, the Dicodes should last you a good long time, and comes with an excellent warranty. I certainly would not steer you away from it so long as your wallet can handle it. You shouldn't have to worry about it failing in 6 months and then hunt for a replacement.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2016
    Thanks everyone, it's been really helpful. I now have confirmation of what I suspected, i.e. that mods are definitely aimed at a different crowd. I had a look at the Ehpro Mod 101, and it seems like an interesting option: using only the bottom part with a 18350, I might get close to the size I'm after. Or just go for a Dicodes, we only live once. :)

Both options look great! Considering that the Dicodes gives 2 year warranty and that it is German I rather choose it. The only con I've read about Dicodes is that their navigation menu is complicated but I would choose quality and safety above other considerations.

If you buy it let me know about it because now that Provape has closed I guess Dicodes will be a good option. Not in a hurry since I have 5 Radius that should last a long

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Been out of it for a while... What so special about these dicodes? (finish looks great, granted)
    Otherwise looks like my vamo, a couple of years back :)
    Tube mods back in style?

They make tubes and boxes. Well, not boxes more like Vapor Flask sorta shaped. Popular as they have a reputation for excellent performance and reliability, excellent warranty, and German manufactured.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread