Is this really safe? I am sure it is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
EDIT: I would like to add, I have NO intentions of ever building near this level, I just wondered if the setup could be safe, or they are very mistaken with what they are doing.

Hi everyone, I hope you are all OK.

The other day, I went to a Brick and Mortar vape lounge with a friend, I don't tend to visit them as all of my vaping orders are done online.

To cut a long story short, the man behind the counter was running a tube mech, with no vent holes, at 0.09 Ohms, using a LG HE4.

He quoted how his build is very safe, due to the pulse rating of the cell. I am aware of the datasheet for the 25R and HE4, but I am worried the guy has it horribly wrong.

He even showed me the mech unscrewed, and said what can you see wrong? I said "no vent holes?"-he said yes, this is for 'performance'. I asked if he will me making his own vent holes, he replied no, he will not as it will impair performance, and he has only ever vented "one battery' (One too many for me).

I have always built on mechs to well within their limits, and enjoyed them, but is it possible to safely go off of pulse ratings, or as I have known myself for over a year, always stick to CDR as a maximum? I never even am usually near 10A on a mech in all honesty, I just wondered if this is genuinely safe, or he is wrong.

Thanks everyone, Conan.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
It's up to each individual to decide their own safety limits, but based on my own experiences and advise from those I trust to know what they are talking about, no.
I always stay within the known CDR of a battery, with the range of equipment available today there is no good reason to exceed it. Pulse ratings are essentially undefined by manufacturers, and from a safety perspective you are pushing your luck. You may get lucky, or you may end up eating your porridge with dentures for the rest of your life.

46 amps from a battery with a 20 amp CDR, make your own mind up as whether that's safe or not. When Mooch tested the HE4 at 35 amps continuous it reached 112°C.

No vent holes for performance, that makes literally no sense. Vent holes are a last line of defense if you do end up severely venting a battery, which this 'expert' seems to be in imminent danger of doing.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone, I hope you are all OK.

The other day, I went to a Brick and Mortar vape lounge with a friend, I don't tend to visit them as all of my vaping orders are done online.

To cut a long story short, the man behind the counter was running a tube mech, with no vent holes, at 0.09 Ohms, using a LG HE4.

He quoted how his build is very safe, due to the pulse rating of the cell. I am aware of the datasheet for the 25R and HE4, but I am worried the guy has it horribly wrong.

He's drawing around double the continuous amp rating of that battery and that's for a healthy battery. Also, how accurate is his ohm meter? If the resistance is really 0.07 ohms he's at 2 1/2 times the CDR.

Too risky a scenario for me.

He even showed me the mech unscrewed, and said what can you see wrong? I said "no vent holes?"-he said yes, this is for 'performance'. I asked if he will me making his own vent holes, he replied no, he will not as it will impair performance, and he has only ever vented "one battery' (One too many for me).

I have always built on mechs to well within their limits, and enjoyed them, but is it possible to safely go off of pulse ratings, or as I have known myself for over a year, always stick to CDR as a maximum? I never even am usually near 10A on a mech in all honesty, I just wondered if this is genuinely safe, or he is wrong.

Thanks everyone, Conan.

The whole 'vent holes will impair performance' thing makes no sense to me. If he thinks that setup is 'very safe', he obviously doesn't understand the risks. The really scary part is he's selling these things to people :shock:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
holes affect performance?? ummm that must have been in the physics class I missed when I had the flu... ;)
the guy in the shop is [edited]... Im really interested in what his reasoning for the lack of holes is... just how does it degrade performance...

ahhh okay, thought this one thru... the holes affect the performance of allowing it to be a better pipe bomb ;)

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
OK, I was certain it was not safe, thank you for the clarification.

It was just worrying that he is selling vape gear (Granted, not just mechanical mods), with quite a dangerous set up, if that was a new vaper, they would trust the guy in the shop wouldn't they? That doesn't seem right to me at all.

Also, I did find it very odd that my mentioning of adding vent holes would decrease the performance, his explanation was "It is lined with silver and a competition mod".

I hardly use mechs anyway now, and as I do not go to vape stores often, I did not know many people still used them as all day devices-especially not at this level of madness.

It was in Basildon though, so I can't really say much lol. (I live on Canvey, so if you're from Basildon, no insult, Canvey is not that good either lol).

Reactions: Ryedan

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The guy is a fool, plain and simple. I highly doubt that the 'cheapie' ohm meters we vapers generally use will accurately measure .09 ohm.
'Pulse ratings' are purely fictitious. There is no such thing as Pulse Rating, as an official spec for batteries.
I would love to hear how having no vent holes is better for performance.
"Only vented one battery"? Now there's something to be proud of.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
duct%20tape.jpg

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN

The really scary part is he's selling these things to people :shock:
If I was the owner of that B&M, I would be sitting down with that employee and letting him know that he is free to vape anyway he chooses (in his own home) but not in the vape shop.

And I would tell him that any conversation with a customer MUST abide by certain rules (with regards to safety) and the equipment they sell.

Anything less than that is a huge liability for the vape shop should something bad happen to a customer who follows what he/she was told by the vape shop/employee.:2c:

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
OK, I was certain it was not safe, thank you for the clarification.

It was just worrying that he is selling vape gear (Granted, not just mechanical mods), with quite a dangerous set up, if that was a new vaper, they would trust the guy in the shop wouldn't they? That doesn't seem right to me at all.

Also, I did find it very odd that my mentioning of adding vent holes would decrease the performance, his explanation was "It is lined with silver and a competition mod".

I hardly use mechs anyway now, and as I do not go to vape stores often, I did not know many people still used them as all day devices-especially not at this level of madness.

It was in Basildon though, so I can't really say much lol. (I live on Canvey, so if you're from Basildon, no insult, Canvey is not that good either lol).

You should let him know Plaza Vapes in Brooklyn, New York is looking for experienced managers like himself

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Vent holes ( or lack thereof ) affecting battery performance... Woot ?!.
He afraid dem 'lectrons might sneak away though the holes instead of doing their job in the coil ?
Maybe that fella needs a lesson in elementaries. Like he'd plug his own vent hole ( the one between the buttocks ) and sees what happens after a couple of meals....

Prime candidate for the next Darwin Award, IMO

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
A person can get away with doing stuff like that for months, even years without ever having a problem. But it only takes once for everything to go horribly wrong, and with a setup like that if it does go horribly wrong he'll likely end up in the hospital hoping they can put his hand back together.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
View attachment 550910

My YouTube Hero: Dish Rag Man.

Happy to see someone picked up on my reference. :lol:

I said this back in the Dish Rag man thread but it's worth repeating. "I predict Dish Rag Man will go far, well some pieces farther than others".

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Happy to see someone picked up on my reference. :lol:

I said this back in the Dish Rag man thread but it's worth repeating. "I predict Dish Rag Man will go far, well some pieces farther than others".

I heard that his Family doesn't call him "Dish Rag Man" anymore. They call him "Lefty" now. And people who don't know him just call him "One Hand Jack".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread