Is this really safe? I am sure it is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Ya know, that with no vent holes at all - my lowly eGo-type mods don't have any either.
But the top with the firing button and circuity is just wedged in. Bottom caps the same. Ostensably meant to pop off in a case of thermal runaway.

Now looking at my iStick TC40W ... I get two slotted vent holes looking back at me.

Sure it's a regulated mod with all kinds of protective circuitry in place, plus the charging port at the bottom would also allow venting, but nevertheless, in a worst case, I've got two openings capable of spewing hot gases and chems right at my mug. Ain't the purtiest mug, but it's the one I'm carrying through all my life and I kinda grew attached to it ;) .

Took a look at the VTC mini . No vent holes. Battery compartmet lid held by magnets. So it will give way easy.
If it does so while holding it... hmm.

Seems manufacturers are putting a lot of confidence in their products not venting ever...

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
In other news:

Turn your family sedan into a performance race car by removing the brake pads.... :party:

Oh sure you laugh, but....

11114751_913956941998041_1614489700757202544_n.jpg

That's my cousin after he won the Wisconsin state championship in Street class drag racing last year. And yes, that's the car he won it with.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Oh sure you laugh, but....

11114751_913956941998041_1614489700757202544_n.jpg

That's my cousin after he won the Wisconsin state championship in Street class drag racing last year. And yes, that's the car he won it with.

Always watch out for the old, ugly car that idles rough, it'll eat your lunch! Something I was taught years ago! I had a 4x4 Suburban with a built SBC 400 in it, would do 135 flat out, not a fun ride, and around 13's in the quarter. Caught a lot of people off guard in that beast.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Always watch out for the old, ugly car that idles rough, it'll eat your lunch! Something I was taught years ago! I had a 4x4 Suburban with a built SBC 400 in it, would do 135 flat out, not a fun ride, and around 13's in the quarter. Caught a lot of people off guard in that beast.

See the car in my avatar? It looks like a base model 2012 V6 Mustang. It doesn't even have a rear spoiler and uses the stock exhaust tips. Pay no attention to the supercharger under the hood.

;)

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
See the car in my avatar? It looks like a base model 2012 V6 Mustang. Pay no attention to the supercharger under the hood.

;)

Riiight! Sleepers rule! Fastest car I rode in was a 2013? Bullet Mustang, 5.0 conversion, Tremec 6 speed with a huffer on it. Did 9 something in the quarter. It hooked so hard it sucked the seat belts tight! I was having to unbuckle all the time to breathe! We did 145 down Highway 1 on Orlando with my 10yo son in the back seat. Mama wasn't really pleased, but the boy has been hooked since! Gotta love starting them young!

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
.09 ohms @ 4.2v = 46.66 amps .... so you figure it out.
Obviously not safe, I did do the calculations myself, but I wanted to see if I was possibly wrong, and what I had been taught was wrong, and it is OK to build beyond the CDR of a battery, to a 'pulse' rating.

I understand there is no recognised industry pulse though, Samsung publishes data but I gather this is more for situations where it could happen as a safety thing in say another high drain application, and not something to ever be utilised in any way.

It isn't, which I kind of expected, it was just a topic I wondered about as I have never exceeded the CDR of my batteries in a mech (Or actually gone anywhere near them).

By the way, who is towel guy? Have I missed something lol?

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
EDIT: I would like to add, I have NO intentions of ever building near this level, I just wondered if the setup could be safe, or they are very mistaken with what they are doing.

Hi everyone, I hope you are all OK.

The other day, I went to a Brick and Mortar vape lounge with a friend, I don't tend to visit them as all of my vaping orders are done online.

To cut a long story short, the man behind the counter was running a tube mech, with no vent holes, at 0.09 Ohms, using a LG HE4.

He quoted how his build is very safe, due to the pulse rating of the cell. I am aware of the datasheet for the 25R and HE4, but I am worried the guy has it horribly wrong.

He even showed me the mech unscrewed, and said what can you see wrong? I said "no vent holes?"-he said yes, this is for 'performance'. I asked if he will me making his own vent holes, he replied no, he will not as it will impair performance, and he has only ever vented "one battery' (One too many for me).

I have always built on mechs to well within their limits, and enjoyed them, but is it possible to safely go off of pulse ratings, or as I have known myself for over a year, always stick to CDR as a maximum? I never even am usually near 10A on a mech in all honesty, I just wondered if this is genuinely safe, or he is wrong.

Thanks everyone, Conan.

I ain't no expert, far from it !.

Though, from what you've described it sounds incredibly like an I.E.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread