is this 'safe vaping power chart' safe to follow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundane24

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
CA USA
http://www.ecigadvanced.com/community/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/power.jpg

i just got my provari today. yey! unfortunately, my ordered tanks and cartos hasnt come in yet. =( not to mention, im running out of juice. i did get my nano clearomizers and that's what im using right now.

i read the ohms and it shows 1.7-1.8. im setting my provari at 3.5v and it seems to be my preferred voltage for the nano. my question is.. what's the vape experience like if it's set too high (or too low)? im such a noob that im not quite confident to experiment with my new provari. im just playing it safe so to speak.

also, what's the ideal way of vaping? i know it's different for everybody... but i tend to vape with a time span of like smoking a cigarette - 5-10 minutes nonstop. i see videos on youtube and some people tend to just vape ONCE in every 5 minutes or so. like i said, it's personal preference but i'd like to hear what you guys do.

again, thanks in advance! i appreciate all the inputs. =)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I can't agree with either chart. They are just someone's subjective vaping preferences. There are many long time vapers who vape 2.8 ohm single coil attys/cartos at 4.7 to 5.0 volts. Yet that is a no-no on these charts. And I saw no listing for dual coil cartos/attys. I would just experiment until you find what works well for you.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
yup. Charts like those are just a good starting point. You'll need to adjust your voltage / wattage for your juice, tank / carto / clearo ...

And in general, you want to start low on the volts and work up to where you get the vapor and taste you like, not what some chart says is "best."

About how to vape... uh, there again, it's a personal taste thing. Sometimes I'll chain vape for 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes I'll just take a puff now and then. No rules. No ideal. There are some techniques, like drawing the vapor into your mouth before inhaling, slow smooth draws for carto tanks, and so on. But the bottom line is to find what works to keep you off cigarettes. That's all that counts.

:vapor:

Sheila Michele 1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The charts are good starting points. I also vape higher than suggested, but Ive always started low and worked high. You will def know if you are too high. --burnt juice taste or straight up blown device

As for techniques, I find inhaling then exhaling thru the nose seems like you get more nic quickest......Sometimes I chain vape, sometimes I do a few here and there....depends on my mood etc.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
The chart is good. That's what I used as well but then someone told me a lil trick...if that's what you wanna call it. When you check your atomizer you can add 2 to it at most. Otherwise you risk burning. So if your resistance is 2.5 you can vape safely at 4.5 at most if you like but feel free to adjust down. It's worked for me.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
The chart is good. That's what I used as well but then someone told me a lil trick...if that's what you wanna call it. When you check your atomizer you can add 2 to it at most. Otherwise you risk burning. So if your resistance is 2.5 you can vape safely at 4.5 at most if you like but feel free to adjust down. It's worked for me.

That's what I do too. Adding "2" to the resistance and using the resulting number for the voltage will give you roughly 8 watts, which I find a good starting point to dial up or down from.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
It will vary a lot on how you vape, what juice you vape and what device you vape the juice from.

I have one of my favorites I like to use as an example... It's a Caramel Apple juice in a 50/50 pg-vg blend. This one likes to run about a full watt (a couple of tenths of a volt) "cooler" than some of my similar juices, even in the same tank (or dripper). What's more if I drop the power down another couple of notches I hit a "sweet" spot where I REALLY taste juicy apple on the inhale. If I go the other direction and turn the power up the caramel flavor, especially on the exhale, really becomes the star of the show. Turn it up much higher and it starts tasting burnt.

I get to spend a lot of time around the house right now (between jobs) and I tend to chain vape a lot. I usually vape 16 or 18mg juice and I'll have it in my hand over half the time, unless I'm busy doing something else. If I'm out and about I take some stronger juice with me, usually 24mg, and I have three, maybe four good puffs off it about as often as I would have had a cigarette.

It's all up to each individual.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Safe Vaping Power Chart is meant as a general guideline, and can be very helpful to new vapors who don't understand the relationship between resistance rating and voltage/wattage. I recommend it a lot, and most new vapors are quite appreciative because it provides a picture and a graph that is easy to understand.

I'll also agree that different flavors and juices can benefit from different voltages. For example, my fruit flavors are best between 3.4 - 3.7 volts. Other flavors like coffee are best 4.0 - 4.5 volts. And my cinnamons taste best above 4.5 volts.

I use a Provari and a 2.5 or 3.0 ohm single coil carto in tanks. This resistance in carto gives me the widest range of voltages to use at the range I vape at (3.4 - 5.0 volts).

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I think the red areas in those charts start at much too low of a wattage.
I think they dissuade people from vaping in a higher wattage range that they may very well find far more satisfying.

I've been vaping in the 8-10 watt range for at least two years now with no problems.
In fact, vaping at anything under 8 watts just doesn't do much for me.

But then I don't ever vape fruit flavors... mostly tobaccos, coffees, and chocolates.

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I just received my Provari the other day and am using a manner T3 with a 2.0 ohm coil...I tend to hit a sweet spot between 3.8-4.1 volts so far, depending on juice.

So far coffee liked to be a little cooler and my Cuban banana wants to be a little hotter, which is opposite of what I expected. I was really surprised when I checked the coil resistance on a 2 week old coil and saw it was at 2.0 (started as 1.8 marked on the box, but I did not check it when new). I tend to chain vape whenever possible :D so it was a nice surprise that the coil wasn't worse for the wear...

Just thought I'd chime in.

Thanks
Geo

Last edited:
[..

And in general, you want to start low on the volts and work up to where you get the vapor and taste you like, not what some chart says is "best."

About how to vape... uh, there again, it's a personal taste thing. Sometimes I'll chain vape for 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes I'll just take a puff now and then. No rules. No ideal. There are some techniques, like drawing the vapor into your mouth before inhaling, slow smooth draws for carto tanks, and so on. But the bottom line is to find what works to keep you off cigarettes. That's all that counts.

:vapor:[/QUOTE]

This makes perfect sense! I prefer going by a general safe starting point and fine-tuning...I know there is a rule between high/low resistance and juices...but that's another discussion, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread