• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Is vaping a sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
No it is not per say. Anything that a person places before God is sin. This could be basically anything not just inclusive to something that harms the body.
Body is the temple of God- Does not mean what most people make it to mean. It is simply the place where God dwells. Nothing more, nothing less. Many will use this scripture to taboo smoking, drinking, tats, dancing, piercings or whatever. If the scripture was meant to be used in this fashion, why does the apostle Paul later say that exercise profits little. Seems we have a Bible contradiction. No contradiction. The contradiction comes from a poor interpretation of the scripture. Is having a drink sin? Is smoking a sin? Only if it comes before one's service to God.

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Yes nicotine is a drug, but so is caffeine. How many church functions are without a coffee pot? If the "Church" feels that vaping is a sin so is coffee. The one sin that is specifically mentioned in the Bible is Gluttony. I have a difficult time taking correction from any head of church that is obese. But these comments are just my humble opinions.

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I like the way you put it, So Gent. I saw that thread and it seemed to turn into a Christian bashing thread pretty quickly..although to be fair, not exclusively. bjannr, while I understand your point, it seems to me that any judgement of others is probably as great a sin than most sins we accuse them of. To assume that a person struggling with obesity is gluttonous, or that caffeine is also a drug and therefore a sin.... is just as judgemental.

Also, most drugs, including nicotine, caffeine, ( and yes even other "herbal" products) are originally something that God created for our consumption. They probably have a purpose and intention. It is our choice whether or not we abuse it.

The simple fact that people are looking for something to label as "sin" is indication that they are missing the point. Once someone is "in Christ", there is no sin. All things may not be expedient... but they are legal in Christ.

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I didn't mean to be judgemental, but many are to the point they do not see their own faults. We need to be comfortable with what we do. Everything in moderation. I was just trying to make a point that I do not see much difference between caffeine and nicotine. Both can cause health problems if used in excess.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
If smoking is a sin because it harms the body then so is a McDonalds cheeseburger. I can remember just a few short years back, the front steps of the church looked like the building was on fire with ciggy smoke. It was not until it became politically incorrect to smoke that most churches jumped on the bandwagon. The church cannot/should not be involved because of pc.

Last edited:

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
No it is not per say. Anything that a person places before God is sin. This could be basically anything not just inclusive to something that harms the body.
Body is the temple of God- Does not mean what most people make it to mean. It is simply the place where God dwells. Nothing more, nothing less. Many will use this scripture to taboo smoking, drinking, tats, dancing, piercings or whatever. If the scripture was meant to be used in this fashion, why does the apostle Paul later say that exercise profits little. Seems we have a Bible contradiction. No contradiction. The contradiction comes from a poor interpretation of the scripture. Is having a drink sin? Is smoking a sin? Only if it comes before one's service to God.

Perfect scriptural response SG!... and I agree with that apt interpretation. :thumbs:

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Perfect scriptural response SG!... and I agree with that apt interpretation. :thumbs:

What Blonde said. Great answer SG.

All things are put here by God for our use. Unfortunately, like alcohol (during prohibition) and other things (with the exception of California), cigarettes, e-cigs, fatty food, salt, and all sorts of other things may be illegal. God says we are to obey the laws of the land unless they go against His law. Since He doesn't say we have to smoke and eat hamburgers.....

Somebody kick me for saying that out-loud. I may be kicking myself for it later. Darn logic.

~A

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
What Blonde said. Great answer SG.

All things are put here by God for our use. Unfortunately, like alcohol (during prohibition) and other things (with the exception of California), cigarettes, e-cigs, fatty food, salt, and all sorts of other things may be illegal. God says we are to obey the laws of the land unless they go against His law. Since He doesn't say we have to smoke and eat hamburgers.....

Somebody kick me for saying that out-loud. I may be kicking myself for it later. Darn logic.

~A

Logic will not be tolerated in this forum. A 3 day suspension is in order.

Reactions: K9Luvr

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Vaping is no more a sin then smoking cigarettes or a pipe, driving too fast, sky diving, eating fast food, drinking soda,putting too much butter on your baked potato, more then 1 cup of coffee each day. or anything else that isn't extremely and perfectly healthy or risky behavior. Jogging can kill you too.........lol.

It's just part of being a human. I'd love to be free from it if I could, but don't know if I ever will.

...I'd love to be free from it if I could, but don't know if I ever will.

Didn't think I could do it either, but here I am 'nic-free'! Don't know if it's a sin for anybody else or not, but I DO know that nicotine isn't a very enjoyable substance - for me. Even compared to sugar, there's just so little pleasure from it. Here I was all scared of withdrawals, only to learn kicking nicotine by itself (without the other stuff in cigarettes) was actually rather quik & easy.:blush:

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Didn't think I could do it either, but here I am 'nic-free'! Don't know if it's a sin for anybody else or not, but I DO know that nicotine isn't a very enjoyable substance - for me. Even compared to sugar, there's just so little pleasure from it. Here I was all scared of withdrawals, only to learn kicking nicotine by itself (without the other stuff in cigarettes) was actually rather quik & easy.:blush:

Really? You didn't notice any difference when you switched over to nic free liquid? I've never tried the nic free stuff. Do you get any kind of throat hit from it at all? You've peaked my interest! :)

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
This is probably not going to be a very "popular" post, but "sin" is what someone else does. Christians realize that they are sinners, but their sins aren't as bad as those of someone else. Non-Christians see themselves (in general) as "holy" because they follow guidelines set forth by their religion. Heck, even atheists will accuse Christians of sinning because they do something that they (the atheist) wouldn't do. Case in point, the OP in that thread could say that smoking and vaping were sins because that was something that she didn't do. However, when caffeine and gossiping were brought up, she got defensive because THAT was something that she was guilty of. It's human nature. Humans like to be judgmental--even those who say that they aren't.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA

I'm glad for you NG!! :thumbs::thumbs::banana::banana: That gives me hope, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread