Is vaping bad for your lungs/breath?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by rhyzw, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rhyzw

rhyzw Full Member

Im currently training for a 1.5 mile run in 11 minutes and i have about 2 weeks

i have been vaping now for a few months but was wondering if it effects your lungs at all? i rung the shop i got it from and he said its basically just water vapor so it does no damage to your lungs.

was hoping you guys could give me confirmation? :)

2. tiggerrts

tiggerrts ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Vaping is bad for your breath if you use crab juice

3. gthompson

gthompson Free at last Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Cigarettes are much better for you.

4. rhyzw

rhyzw Full Member

can i get some serious posts please.. is it worth quiting vaping to focus on my fitness? thanks! :)

5. subversive

subversive Super Member ECF Veteran

It is much, much better than smoking. Most people say they breathe easier. Can't really give you much more than that. It's not water vapor. It's either propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin. PG is used in breathing treatments, asthma inhalers, fog machines, medicines, cosmetics, food, etc. VG is used in cosmetics and food. The rest is made up of flavoring and nicotine. Check out the medical section of the site.

6. inanitydefined

inanitydefined Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

it is not water vapor. its more akin to artificial fog from a fog machine. it has a slight drying effect but as long as you stay well hydrated and avoid vaping for as long as you can before the event you will be fine

7. rhyzw

rhyzw Full Member

thank you subversive. excellent answer, youve compared smoking with vaporising, how would you compare some1 that doesnt use a vapour to some1 that uses 1? would there be a big difference?

im trying to weigh up my options, if there is little difference to some1 that doesnt use a vapour to some1 who does then i will buy myself some more e liquid :) if its going to make my running slightly harder i will knock it on the head :D

8. subversive

subversive Super Member ECF Veteran

I would say pure air is best. I don't really know. I can only look at it from an ex-smoker's perspective and tell you that my lungs feel much better since the switch. I'm not aware of any hard evidence for lung function differences between nonsmokers/nonvapers and nonsmoking vapers.

9. rhyzw

rhyzw Full Member

And thanks for the replies, i smoked the vapour before my last mock fitness test and failed it, this was a couple of weeks ago, im guessing it dehydrated me?

10. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

My only concern, in your case, would be staying hydrated. Get some electrolytes flowingand you should be OK. While scientific studies have not concluded. (And most likely, never will) that vaping is beneficial to pulmonary function, there have been studies that show vaping is up to 98% healthier than smoking. I know, first-hand, that my respiratory function has improved since quitting smoking (started vaping).

As far as breath, there's no tar to stain your teeth, and I must say, I don't ever recall feeling like my breath was funky, since vaping, unless garlic or too much coffee was involved.

Good luck with your run!

11. rhyzw

rhyzw Full Member

Thanks dougie, i wasnt worried about my breath smelling xDDDD was more about my lungs and being able to breath, i was never good at long distance running :)

12. frosting

frosting Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Your question actually hit me quite personally.

One of the big reasons I got fed up with smoking was because I started running and reality hit me in the face of all the damage I did smoking a pack a day.

I've been training for long distance jogging, as long as I've been vaping.

I went from being completely in-able to even do one lap on a 3 lap mile track, to my personal best around August/September of being able to jog 3 miles without so much as a break in stride in about 30 minutes. I've never been a runner so it took time to accomplish this but if I hadn't switched to electronic cigarettes I know this dream could of never materialized. It was a goal for me after I finally ran that 1st mile non-stop, to reach 3 miles non-stop.

Hopefully, that helps answer your question where it's coming from.

Good luck on your goal!

13. RoseB

RoseB Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Hello and welcome. How much do/did you smoke?

14. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Bad comes in degrees, so lets just say that vaping is not without risks. If you need to pass something like a PT test in two weeks, it certainly wouldn't hurt your chances of passing to give up vaping for a while. At the very least you should not vape for one hour prior to, and one hour after working out. It's more about what nicotine does to blood flow than to your lungs. Remember that good lung function and good cardio function go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other.

15. rhyzw

rhyzw Full Member

frosting i appreiciate your reply more than ever, could i ask for 1 more reply, i know this is a vapour site but can i ask for your running routine? i only ask this because alot of running routines are for advanced or completely new runners, you seem to be on the same level as me, what do you do for your weekly runnings? if youd be so kind

and Rose, i used to smoke ......... so its hard to answer, all i can say is i smoked it for 3 years, ive quit now for about 5-6 months and have been using vapour e cig from totally wicked, i must say i love the device, just wanted some opinions :)

16. gthompson

gthompson Free at last Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    It's better for you than smoking, but no one here can say it's good for you. There's no evidence, there are no long term studies.

17. RoseB

RoseB Ultra Member ECF Veteran

This really kit how bad of shape I was in when I smoked. Switched to chewing tobacco in '07 for martial arts training. Was getting old and didn't want my butt handed to me :D Started smoking again a year later and got pneumonia that lasted 2 months. Went back to chewing and did good. This summer I quit chewing and started smoking. My work outs suffered. Went from a 1 hour cardio + 1 hour weights a day thats two hours folks 4-6 days a week. To dying to get through 45 minutes! In matter of two weeks of smoking. Then came the e cigarettes. A two week detox off smokes. Then I started working out again it was awesome. If you're new and reading this check out this section of the forum
    Switching
    It really helped me out :) Be sure to check the stickies.

18. Shy One

Shy One Full Member

My "smoker's cough" went away went I quit smoking 7 months ago and switched to vaping. That says something :)

19. frosting

frosting Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'm sort of out my routine as of late. Had some knee pain, had to stop running, got new shoes. I think I figured out the culprit. If you plan on keeping up the running, make sure your shoes are not too worn out. It most defiantly can lead to injury. I was out 3 weeks unable to run in-till I got new shoes. Just did a 2.4 jog yesterday and my knee seems happy. Hit the weights too.

When I was training a bit heavier, a lot of protein. I still like to hit the weights at the gym. Standard 3 times a week/every other day. I do about 25-45 mins weights depending what I feel like. I personally think working the legs helps a lot. I felt it increased my stamina overall. The core is important to train too for running if you don't know. Almost everyday after I did weights I'd have about 8 oz of grilled chicken tenderloin with some kind of salad, typically mustard greens(I garden and would just pick them from my garden to eat. Can't always find that in the grocery store). I loved making a peanut butter sauce over it for added protein.

Protein, protein, protein when you're lifting weights. Gotta heal the muscle.

As for the running aspect alone, a really good stretch before my runs. 15 minutes is ideal. I normally stretch about 10. Really, really stretch yourself out the best of your ability. I'd walk first for a warm up about 5 minutes. Pretty standard routine. A lot of people say to stretch after a run. It's probably a good idea. I should. I'm just so over the exorcising after a long jog, I just wanna have a glass of water and my vape by the time I'm done.

Don't push your pace too hard. This is what leads to stitches. I use to get them a lot. Deep into your belly breathing helps with them a lot. http://running.about.com/od/runningforbeginners/f/sidestitch.htm

--

No problem at all! If you can't tell this is something I kinda love. So I prob gave you more information than you even needed...oops...

20. rhyzw

rhyzw Full Member

no that was great! did you run 5 days a week? i was running 2 but now im upping it to 5 days a week, i have probably about 1 month till the test!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.