The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Is vaping cheaper than smoking?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by triplxratd, Jan 22, 2010.

Is vaping cheaper than smoking?

1. Its way cheaper than smoking

2. Its a little cheaper than smoking

3. Its about the same cost

4. Its a little more expensive than smoking

5. Its way more expensive than smoking

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. triplxratd

triplxratd Senior Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Vancouver
    For those competely switched over to vaping from smoking. I used to spend around $200 and up a month for cigarettes. I totally quit this month and started vaping, and Ive stocked up with around $700 in supplies and juices. I will need to see how long that gets me before Ill know if its cheaper for me or not.

2. SmilingSlasher

SmilingSlasher Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 9, 2009
    NC
    After you get all the batteries you need for your unit of choice......I would say yes. I spend so much less on juice than I did on cigarettes.

3. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    In the beginning it is more expensive, for a short period of time.

That period of time becomes longer as you try to find the right juice and nicotine strength.
    That period of time becomes longer if you start messing with different models.
    That period of time becomes longer if you start looking at mods.

That period of time becomes MUCH longer if you start stocking up.

If you are satisfied with something that works, once you find it, then it is way cheaper than smoking.
    Because ongoing costs to keep you rolling are MUCH cheaper than smoking.

4. starchelle

starchelle Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I said it's a little cheaper because I just recently started and have probably already spent what I would in a month on analogs. Then again, I'm trying out all kinds of juices so I'm spending more now than I probably will after I settle all the way into it.

5. cliff5550

cliff5550 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

After 6 months of vaping we're staying $500-$600 pretty consistently under what we would have spent on analogs. It's been that way for a while now.
    Like everyone says, the first month or two will make you doubt you're ever going to save money vaping. It balances out. At least it's worked that way for us.

6. warbdan

warbdan Moved On ECF Veteran

It's way cheaper. I've already shown my savings on my blog, so I'm not gonna bore you all with it here. It's in the neighborhood of $300/month savings though. I like USAmix and my wife likes Vanilla, so we don't order juice a lot.

7. Elapid

Elapid Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2009
    Mississippi
    Even with buying a battery mod about every two months it's still cheaper. At $50 to $60 a carton which last one week at best, look at what you can get in PV's and supplies with that money and how long they will last. Granted I have spent a little over $2k in the last 6 months, but I have more than enough supplies to go for something like 2 years for both me and the wife. Cigarettes costing me over $350 a month, a modest figure, would be $8,400 in two years less the 2k I spent makes the savings at over $6,000 in two years! My cost for vaping wouldn't be as high as it is if I didn't think I have to collect battery mods like I do.

8. triplxratd

triplxratd Senior Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well the $700 in my first month includes around 400ml of juice, a dozen batteries, and a pile of attys etc. Im pretty sure Im good for a while. Really though, I dont care how much it costs, I would pay whatever I had to...
    I plan on stocking up much much more soon soon soon...

9. 5cardstud

5cardstud ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2010
    Wash
    After the initial exspense.

10. cyberwolf

cyberwolf Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2009
    Coral Springs, FL
    Absolutely cheaper. In the last 8 months I would have spent well over $1000 on cigarettes. I haven't spent nearly that much on vaping and that includes about a 6 month reserve of juice and atomizers and a whole bunch of spare batteries.

11. tribalmasters

tribalmasters Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Of course its bloody cheaper than smoking :D :D Until the latest vaping gadget comes out that is :)

12. mwahle1

mwahle1 Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL. USA
    At first it cost much more than smoking; especially because you want to try everything and find the e-cig that suits you the best. I have purchased many different e-cigs, and have at least a year supply of juice, cartomizers, and batteries. Calculating the cost of smoking over a year compared to my year worth of vaping supplies; vaping cost me between 20%-30% of what I would have spent on cigarettes.

13. martha1014

martha1014 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2009
    Delhi, LA USA
    If I could quit buying I would definitely save money. Right now I am in the red but if I figured up everything I have it would last for months or even a year or longer. If I would quit thinking I have to have anything new coming out I would save money.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chrisl317

chrisl317 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2009
    Warren, MI USA
    It used to cost me $13 (usd) a day to smoke, now it cost me about $8.50 a week to vape.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pianoguy

pianoguy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 4, 2009
    Apple Valley, MN
    You'll be buying a new Mercedes with your savings soon at that rate :D

My savings aren't that dramatic, but I have reduced my cost by about 50%. And if I start mixing my own juices, it's go down a lot more.

16. Dudeman

Dudeman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2009
    Fall River, MA
    The purchase of my starter kit and juice cost approx. twice my average cost of analogs for 1 week. Since that purchase, I've only spent my weekly analog cost of $25 (I was a RYO guy for 10 yrs) and in 1 months time, I have enough supplies and juice to last me quite a while. I'm now planning on placing orders every other week until I'm overwhelmed with stuff. Then the "real" saving will begin.

As long as juice doesn't end up taxes like analogs, it will remain to be a serious cost reduction.

17. Heracleum

Heracleum Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Italy
    Since my first e-cig (M201) was a present, my second (Joye501) is the prize of a contest I won in this forum :D and I spent 80$ for ejuices (13x20ml) that will last me for about 2 years :)
    yes I can easily say it's way cheaper than smoking analogs!

18. Fishman7

Fishman7 Senior Member Verified Member

Jan 7, 2010
    FT. LAUDERDALE FL
    does it even matter if it cost more most of us dont look at this for a cost or savings

its health i cant put a price on that
    ive spent a whole lot more on this vs analogs but im not sucking in all the tar ,carcinogens sp? and less likely to get cancer

but i do own a mass of mods and supplies now
    2- prodigys
    1- protege
    1 BB
    1 X haler
    1- BB

damn i had to build a battery charging rack lol

its worth the extra money to me

19. AlexTM

AlexTM Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    I voted "a little less" but that is a long-term thought. So far it has been considerably more expensive, and probably will be for a bit. But then, I smoked fairly cheaply (stuffed my own), and I am seriously stocking up, because I don't want to go back again.

In the long term, I do expect to safe money. Probably quite a bit, compared, but as I said - I spent fairly little to begin with. Like around 25 Euros a week, maybe 30, that's around 18-20$ I believe. So obviously, even a 510 starter kit sets me back. Lasts longer, though.

20. Synf

Synf Full Member

Much cheaper. Im already feeling that after a few days. I bought my stuff on my credit card, and I buy cigs with pocket money. I'm really enjoying Whiskey and 555 juices right now, and probably wont switch for a while. But with a week only vaping, I have had more pocket money then I have had in a LONG time. Havent spent a dime of it really since pay day. :D I figure in about two weeks at most all the stuff I bought will technically be 'payed off' in sense. Then it will be time to buy some new attys, batts, and a few packs of samples :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.