Is vaping doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Do you Really think the Average (or even Above Average) Person is going to do a NET using Hexane? Or for that Matter, any Extraction Method?

Will they or can they?

And like I said, you can use distilled water. Anyone can get that. It's just slower and not as efficient. You'll get less pure nicotine from the same amount of tobacco using it, but it works.

The real question is how many people will start growing their own tobacco? I suppose you could go buy a big pack of roll-your-own and extract from it, but I suspect that wouldn't be much in the way of savings compared to buying ejuice.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Will they or can they?

And like I said, you can use distilled water. Anyone can get that. It's just slower and not as efficient. You'll get less pure nicotine from the same amount of tobacco using it, but it works.

The real question is how many people will start growing their own tobacco? I suppose you could go buy a big pack of roll-your-own and extract from it, but I suspect that wouldn't be much in the way of savings compared to buying ejuice.

Right... I suspect the main interest in doing at-home extractions, certainly my own, is if the worst should come to pass and liquid nicotine is no longer available to consumers, or WTA -- then, whatever price you might have to pay for loose tobacco would be worth it, in order to avoid setting fire to those little cylinders of tobacco that cost so much more in every possible way.

Andria

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Here is an excerpt from the bill that will be passed in our Province.
If anyone bothers to even read it, you'll see they are anti vaping big time.
No online sales/advertising. No advertising at all in fact. A vendor will not even be able to speak to the customer about a device until AFTER the purchase.

This is WAR folks, fight, fight hard, or lose. It's all up to YOU! Don't remain in denial!

Scroll down to Schedule 3...Legislative Assembly of Ontario | Bills & Lawmaking | Current Parliament | Bill 45, Making Healthier Choices Act, 2015

Most vapers cannot even be bothered enough to read the bill let alone do anything about these
travesties. Shameful.

Heck I learned that a few years ago when the voters of Ohio voted into the state constitution that a person could not smoke in a public establishment.

Even if you are against smoking.. how the heck a person could vote out their freedoms is beyond me. From the the freedom of the individual to the freedom of the business owner to decide. If one is a non smoker and did not want to go to a smoke filled bar... they could go somewhere else. I as smoker would go to that smoke filled jazz club vs a non smoking club. Choices... Freedoms... voters are idiots.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Heck I learned that a few years ago when the voters of Ohio voted into the state constitution that a person could not smoke in a public establishment.

Even if you are against smoking.. how the heck a person could vote out their freedoms is beyond me.

There is no real freedom in any society. Society was born to limit freedom. From freedom to kill to freedom to practice medicine to freedom to pour gas down the toilet. Ideal society will carefully choose which freedoms should be eliminated. Have never heard about existence of ideal society.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
It may be that we are "preaching to the choir" here.
But a choir needs to sing the same words/tune, otherwise it's not pleasant or understandable.
NOBODY will listen!

This is exactly the right place for us to all get our heads screwed on straight.

It is however just the first step. Yes knowledge is power, but if not acted upon
it makes absolutely zero difference. Deeds Speak, lets do somthin' too. Cheers.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
There is no real freedom in any society. Society was born to limit freedom. From freedom to kill to freedom to practice medicine to freedom to pour gas down the toilet. Ideal society will carefully choose which freedoms should be eliminated. Have never heard about existence of ideal society.

Well that should go without saying especially in a educated society. Equally so as to how we are defining freedoms. In this case it is at its simplistic definition.

One is free to pour gas down a toilet. One then has to deal with consequences of their actions. Society would then take care of their own.

Still.. at one certain point in time, I believe 2005 or 2006, Ohioans were free to smoke in a bar restaurant or wherever the establishment did not itself say "No Smoking" Then election time the idiot voters in Ohio (yes I went there) decided that we as a state should have in our constitution the banning of cigarette smoking in any public establishment.

My point is there was a freedom... then it was taking away by the good voters in the state of Ohio.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Well that should go without saying especially in a educated society. Equally so as to how we are defining freedoms. In this case it is at its simplistic definition.

One is free to pour gas down a toilet. One then has to deal with consequences of their actions. Society would then take care of their own.

Still.. at one certain point in time, I believe 2005 or 2006, Ohioans were free to smoke in a bar restaurant or wherever the establishment did not itself say "No Smoking" Then election time the idiot voters in Ohio (yes I went there) decided that we as a state should have in our constitution the banning of cigarette smoking in any public establishment.

My point is there was a freedom... then it was taking away by the good voters in the state of Ohio.

This is a point I've made before... we're actually free to do whatever we like, and free to pay the price of it, too. Total freedom requires total responsibility. So many people nowadays shun the responsibility, so they let the gov't handle it... at the price of their freedom.

Andria

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I've only briefly looked into it. I have read a lot of posts from the resident chemist (Kurt) in the DIY forum. He was pretty specific about how difficult it is to "do it right" and also how risky it can be if you do it wrong.

He's probably just considering a chemical solvent solution, not using distilled water. The downside of using distilled water is it only recovers about 30-35% of the nicotine and doesn't remove all of the impurities. But it works, doesn't really require any special materials or chemicals, and can easily be done at home.

kaahn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern NC
I don't really see defeatist attitudes. Just realistic ones. Vaping is a vice. And also a vice that is threatening the revenue from another vice. Vices get controlled and taxed or outlawed to the black market. There's simply no way to walk out of this one unscathed.

So I reckon the guys who had the idea of splitting from england were unrealistic? I'm not saying we Are gonna walk away unscathed...every fight has its consequences but depending on how hard we push back will determine how heavy those consequences will be. I'm just not a person that let's the cards fall where they may. Call it unrealistic...maybe...but at least I've give it a shot. You are in control of you or do you let the govt control you?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Will they or can they?

He's probably just considering a chemical solvent solution, not using distilled water. The downside of using distilled water is it only recovers about 30-35% of the nicotine and doesn't remove all of the impurities. But it works, doesn't really require any special materials or chemicals, and can easily be done at home.

OK...

I use about 2200mg of Nicotine per Month.

About how much Bulk Tobacco would I need doing a H2O NET @ 35% Efficiency?

Cloud Waves

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2015
Texas
Correlation does not equal causation... Him getting pneumonia has nothing to do with vaping. It's possible he's sensitive to something in the flavors, or possibly even has that mythic PG allergy... or maybe it's just psychosomatic and he sees something that looks like smoke so his body thinks it needs to cough.

I'm sure if you were in a different room, he'd have no issues. Vapor doesn't linger or penetrate the whole house the way that cigarette smoke does.

Andria

Tried that. He was coughing before he knew I even did it. It never failed. I personally do not believe that vaping caused it either. I have been vaping much longer than he did and it has never happened to me. Therefor his argument is invalid. However him being my dad I must see if there are any facts in his concerns.

kaahn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern NC
We the people...in order to form a more perfect union(not perfect...nothing is a utopia)...establish justice (courts/police)...to ensure domestic tranquility (so we don't kill each other) to provide for common defense (so we don't get attacked by some crazed lunatic country...that includes domestic threats by the way)and to promote the general welfare (not micromanage every facet of our lives) do ordain and establish the constitution of the United States of America.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
So I reckon the guys who had the idea of splitting from england were unrealistic? I'm not saying we Are gonna walk away unscathed...every fight has its consequences but depending on how hard we push back will determine how heavy those consequences will be. I'm just not a person that let's the cards fall where they may. Call it unrealistic...maybe...but at least I've give it a shot. You are in control of you or do you let the govt control you?

Like I said in my previous posts. I wrote my Senator. I submitted my comments. I'm loud with comments to articles on the web but this particular battle has a heck of a lot more opposition than proponents. Senators urging the FDA to "hurry up" and the general public supports fast regulation. Health organizations urging the FDA to hurry up.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Like I said in my previous posts. I wrote my Senator. I submitted my comments. I'm loud with comments to articles on the web but this particular battle has a heck of a lot more opposition than proponents. Senators urging the FDA to "hurry up" and the general public supports fast regulation. Health organizations urging the FDA to hurry up.

and the new FDA Boss is saying he's going to do just that ... speed things up :glare:

Mr. Chill ... I do enjoy your posts.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Perhaps from the perspective of many interests, the e-cigarette concern is but a test case. There is a quasi-parallel industry with a potentially broader base that may be on the verge of an explosion of popularity.

I agree. I think it has been in planning for years and with BP getting nicotine. But ecigs threw a wrench in that.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
Vaping is IN NO WAY DOOMED, and there's a very basic reason: it's adherents and their vocal advocacy are NOT of a singular political stripe. The opposition is trying to make it political, and they're configuring the fight as such, but the vapers and supporters just aren't buying that kind of fight at its core, and our numbers are growing by the hour.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You sure about that? May want to do some research. It's really not very hard at all. The fastest and most efficient way is to use a solvent such as hexane or a hydrocarbon, but it can be done using just distilled water. Nicotine is water soluble, and extracting it isn't much harder than making tea or coffee, and then boiling the liquid until crystals are formed. The crystals will be pure nicotine which can then be mixed in with PG or VG to make your solution.
Uh, no. Nicotine has a melting point of −110 °F (−79 °C), so the only way you could possibly get pure nicotine crystals is at a temperature lower than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread