Is vaping more than I used to smoke ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhdonline1

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2012
canada
A tip I got from the store I picked up my pv from I found useful! If you want to get off analogs with a pv, keep up with your normal smoking routine. With coffe, driving... Whatever your habbits are. Leave your pv in another room. I found myself having to do this for the first couple days because I enjoyed it so much! Not saying there is anything wrong with heavy vaping, just found I was getting too much nic! Ordered some lower nic juice tho! ;)

I vape WAAAAAAY more than I smoked, because I can do it in the office or in the house, whereas when I was smoking I had to go outside for "breaks". I've gone down in nic level from 18 to 4 or 8 (depending on the time of day) and the only time I've had a problem was when I was OUT of the 8mg level, and used the left over bottle of 18mg.

I got just a *little* bit sick from that... headache, running to the bathroom, etc.

But at 4-8 mg, I'm vaping pretty much from the time I get up until the time I go to sleep.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I chain vape whenever I can - not just for the nic, but because it quells my crazy sweet tooth (lost about 40 pounds since I started a year ago) and it's fun! But I've also gone for long periods (4+ hours) without vaping at all, and surprisingly without going through the withdrawal symptoms that I got when I used to smoke - like getting mean, grouchy, cranky, irritable, fidgety, losing focus/concentration, etc.

I don't think there's any harm in it (my health is better than ever), but you do have to pay attention to any symptoms of getting too much nic (pounding headaches, palpitations, etc.), which can be harmful. This new delivery system is quite a bit slower than smoking, and sometimes you have to slow down a bit to give it a chance to catch up. Also, drink plenty of water, cuz headaches could be due to dehydration as well (the liquid is known to cause dehydration)...plus it flushes down any sediments from the liquid that can cause sore throats, leather tongue, bad breath, etc.

cocoabellaRSD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Texas
I was glad to read this thread. I quit analogs 3 mos ago and have been only vaping since then. But I seem to vape a LOT! I didn't smoke inside, but I can vape inside, so I now sit and vape at my computer all day.
I was encouraged to read about the lower nicotine absorption rate through vaping as compared to smoking analogs.
My family has commented on my constant vaping, they are concerned about my nicotine intake.
I am vaping 12 mg nicotine.

rturner76

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
www.robertmn.com
I used to smoke a pack a day when I could smoke inside. Every other day or even 3 days when I was kicked outside. Now I pretty much chain until I'm nicely nic'd up. The higher nic, if I get too happy with it, I'll start to get a little almost sweat on my forehead but it doesn't actually sweat. It will be just about to when I stop. I can be satisfied for a couple hours like that but at lower nic, I feel like I need to be constantly vaping and I am a little irritated like an itch I can't quite scratch. I'l be puffing and puffing but just not hitting the satisfied button like with the higher nic. I'd like to work my way down on the nic though. I went in and tasted a buch of juice at 10mg and it was so great and I bought at 24 and the taste was altered quite a but a that level. THink I'll start cutting a little and see what I come up with. No measuring just a little dilute till I feel I can try 18mg without strapping a eGo to my face.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
GOD, I hope its ok to vape more than you used to smoke, im doing like 12 mils at 24 nic a day:)
I have read other posts that state that the nicotine transference is not as efficient in vapeing as it is with analogs.
Best of Luck!
12ml of 24mg nicotine per day? That's vaping 288mg of nicotine per day. If you figure your body is absorbing 33% of that amount (a decent guess) than you are getting 96mg of nicotine per day.

96mg of nicotine per day:
= same nicotine as 4 packs of Camel Blue 99s or Marlboro Lights per day (80 cigarettes). These are .8mg nicotine per cigarette.

It could be that your vaping technique is not as efficient as some or you were a very heavy smoker.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I used to smoke a pack a day when I could smoke inside. Every other day or even 3 days when I was kicked outside. Now I pretty much chain until I'm nicely nic'd up. The higher nic, if I get too happy with it, I'll start to get a little almost sweat on my forehead but it doesn't actually sweat. It will be just about to when I stop. I can be satisfied for a couple hours like that but at lower nic, I feel like I need to be constantly vaping and I am a little irritated like an itch I can't quite scratch. I'l be puffing and puffing but just not hitting the satisfied button like with the higher nic. I'd like to work my way down on the nic though. I went in and tasted a buch of juice at 10mg and it was so great and I bought at 24 and the taste was altered quite a but a that level. THink I'll start cutting a little and see what I come up with. No measuring just a little dilute till I feel I can try 18mg without strapping a eGo to my face.
It just takes a little discipline to lower your nic. You have to be really committed to it and weather through the sleepiness and withdrawals. But it doesn't last very long (like maybe a couple of weeks) and you can do it in baby steps (ever so gradually). Do it when you can just go to sleep anytime you need to. Nice thing about lower nic strength is that you can vape all you want to without worrying about getting too much nic, and yeah, it tastes better! You lose a little throat hit though, but I like it better now when it's not too harsh. I'm down to 4-6mg, and I can't even vape anything over 8-9 anymore without coughing. You get used to the lower nic over time.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Nicotine hits me harder in vaping. I monitor myself and have a pretty good rhythm down to know when to vape. Nicotine is a stimulant, but without all the other chemicals present from the combustion of tobacco, you aren't really going to get any calming effect (at least I don't). I have since started vaping WTA (from Aroma) and it actually counteracts the effects of too much standard niquid vaping, and, it generates very closely to the overall sensation (without the chest pain) of a cigarette. I am really pleased with my juice line-up now. Too much vaping is relative and only your body can discern what "too much" is. I don't mean to be funny, but ask your body if you have had enough. Also, I don't exactly know if vaping is a pit-stop to quitting nicotine altogether, or more of a migration to another form. I remember thinking I was only going to be vaping for half a year, but that was a year and a half ago...

p.s. I think you will be fine!

Last edited:

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
I vape less then I smoked, puff for puff that is, but not a lot less. I vape 36 mg though which has a lot to do with it. If I were vaping even at 24 I'd be puffing on the thing all day and not be satisfied. That's the key word though, getting satisfied, I was a heavy smoker who most of the time had one going, and I wasn't able to quit even at 30 mg vaping my face off, it took the higher nic to satisfy me. Everyone is different here although if you find yourself vaping a ton maybe you should look to move up to a higher level of nic to actually get satisfied more easily. Overall the secret is to just vape when you want to and not just do it as a habitual thing, in other works wait until you feel that you want another hit and not just mindly vape away, and once you can do this you're a lot more in tune with your needs :)

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
My 2 cents. When you first quit you have kicked 3,999 other chemicals. I found that I almost vaped myself into a coma for the first few weeks. Then after that faze I found that I like vape way more and kept myself in a coma. I am in one right now. :vapor:
Your .02 is worth a lot more than that. Yes, reduction of tobacco tar is a 99% reduction of smoking risk. If you can tolerate high nicotine for a short while during transition go for it and cut down later.

I worked in tobacco fields as a kid. I got sopping wet with natural tobacco juices during the first day each season. I didn't smoke back then. Tobacco juice soaked my clothes all day long and I was sicker than a dog at the end of the first day. Puked my guts out along the side of the tobacco barn that evening. The older tobacco hands thought this was very funny and laughed a lot. The next day or two things got better. It's amazing how much nicotine you can take if you get used to it.

One good thing about nicotine... as a an avid boater active in a big fresh water estuary I know that nicotine is a natural insect repellant. That's why tobacco plants produce it. The male mosquito feeds on plant juices. Female mosquitoes feed on plants as well but they need an additional blood meal to produce fertile eggs. Mosquitoes of both sexes are repelled by nicotine because it is a natural insecticide. Yep, nicotine is a bona fide organic insecticide.

When I smoked, mosquitoes would never bother me on the boat. Part of that was because of the cloud of cigarettes smoke around my body and the taste of cigarette smoke and nicotine on my skin. The non-smokers had to go into the cabin to escape mosquitoes. If they stayed on deck at dusk they had to use a good mosquito repellant like Deet.

It will be interesting to see this summer if the nicotine I absorb as a vaper is enough to give me the mosquito protection I enjoyed as a smoker.

Incidentally, I have little doubt that part of reason Native Americans used tobacco was related to mosquito protection. I'm part Cherokee.

Freeality

Apr 28, 2012
Olympia, WA
Gawd I hope its "ok" to vape more than i smoked. the only thing that keeps me from vaping currently is work! If you are trying to quit though like you said, (I'm' in the same boat) think about DIY. Even if you dont want to get into the nitty gritty of mixing up your own flavors, you can always mix up lower strengths of nic in with the higher ones to gradually wean yourself off of it. check out the zero nic thread on here for more on that.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Your .02 is worth a lot more than that. Yes, reduction of tobacco tar is a 99% reduction of smoking risk. If you can tolerate high nicotine for a short while during transition go for it and cut down later.

I worked in tobacco fields as a kid. I got sopping wet with natural tobacco juices during the first day each season. I didn't smoke back then. Tobacco juice soaked my clothes all day long and I was sicker than a dog at the end of the first day. Puked my guts out along the side of the tobacco barn that evening. The older tobacco hands thought this was very funny and laughed a lot. The next day or two things got better. It's amazing how much nicotine you can take if you get used to it.

One good thing about nicotine... as a an avid boater active in a big fresh water estuary I know that nicotine is a natural insect repellant. That's why tobacco plants produce it. The male mosquito feeds on plant juices. Female mosquitoes feed on plants as well but they need an additional blood meal to produce fertile eggs. Mosquitoes of both sexes are repelled by nicotine because it is a natural insecticide. Yep, nicotine is a bona fide organic insecticide.

When I smoked, mosquitoes would never bother me on the boat. Part of that was because of the cloud of cigarettes smoke around my body and the taste of cigarette smoke and nicotine on my skin. The non-smokers had to go into the cabin to escape mosquitoes. If they stayed on deck at dusk they had to use a good mosquito repellant like Deet.

It will be interesting to see this summer if the nicotine I absorb as a vaper is enough to give me the mosquito protection I enjoyed as a smoker.

Incidentally, I have little doubt that part of reason Native Americans used tobacco was related to mosquito protection. I'm part Cherokee.

Great story. I never knew that about the blood suckers. I wonder if they hate cat nip too. I know its a bug repellent but not sure if it works for all of them. I plan on putting some of that in around my garden. Best thing about CN is that is an annual growth plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread