Is vaping really cheaper than smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

spawnsharks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Austin, TX
If you do not want to DIY the juices, you can do as people have suggested in other threads and buy 128ml of unflavored, no nic juice.. it's cheap. Then, when you order juices, get double your nic strength, and a flavor shot or two then dilute with the plain stuff... If you go through MBV, this can make your juice really, really cheap.

As for gear, it sounds like you're set up. If not, then consider what you need, and wait for sales. I just scored an itaste MVP 2 for $40. That's what, 5 packs of smokes?

Thais

Nov 18, 2013
California
In addition to what Heartisan has said, I think over-buying by a small measure on your initial purchase might be a good way for most poeple to go. I started with an eRoll, moved up to an eGo-C (this caused the aha moment), and eGo twist ('cause, you know, VV) and then on to an SVD/MVP. If I had just taken the plunge and gone from the MVP from the get go, I would have saved a pile of money.

Of course at the outset, an MVP seemed absurd. But now, I consider it to be very modest...

for me it's been cheaper overall, but it could have been a lot cheaper. Now that I understand my preferences, the real savings should start to happen.

That is Exactly how I feel! I started with an eGo T kit, $40, and a couple flavors, at $6. Then I got my husband vaping - repeat cost. Then found out I am allergic to PG- and my husband hates anything but Highbrow Vapor French Pipe flavor... Then his eGo quiet, and we upgraded him to a Kamry K100, and the shop owner through in an iTaste MVP for $25

so with a few tanks, I like the toss away clearos, hubby loves the protankII, and initial mistake costs, the month we've been free of analogs has still saved us hundreds. And we're currently converting old pipes into epipes... Totally a hobby, and Still super affordable. Plus it's cheaper than cancer!

VStarGirl

Aug 26, 2012
WV
My initial start up was expensive and of course I kept buying the new cartos, clearos and tanks. Then I found a tank that I really liked (Vision STV 3.5) that worked great on my eGos. I bought several and now all I need to buy are the replacement heads and juice. My husband is still spending $175 a month on stinkies and I MAYBE spend $40! I just helped a friend get set up with 2 batteries, 2 tanks, 2 sets replacement heads, and juice for about $110. After the first expense of hardware she may only need to spend $20-40 on heads and juice in the next couple of months. I'd say it's definitely cheaper than smoking tobacco.

KC0YNU

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
McPherson, Kansas
Only been seriously vaping for about a month now.

carton a week=$35.00 X 4=$140.00

First kit =$49.00
2nd kit =$41.00
back up battery = $19.00
juice = $30.00
EVOD tank = $10.00

Total =$149.00

Slightly more than what I would have spent on cigarettes,
but I still have enough juice for one maybe two more weeks of vaping.

PRICELESS

NickSteel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Napa, California
Only been seriously vaping for about a month now.

carton a week=$35.00 X 4=$140.00

First kit =$49.00
2nd kit =$41.00
back up battery = $19.00
juice = $30.00
EVOD tank = $10.00

Total =$149.00

Slightly more than what I would have spent on cigarettes,
but I still have enough juice for one maybe two more weeks of vaping.

PRICELESS

Lot better than a used up carton of cigarettes. :)

econofast

Jul 29, 2013
Boston, MA
I'll throw in my several thousand cents:
I use an Android app called E-Cig Diary to track my spending. It was also a great motivator in the early days - working on breaking even, and then saving...

I live in MA where smokes are now 10 bucks a pack (!!) and I was smoking a pack a day, so I broke even really fast. It's been 117 days since I started. $383 spent on vaping gear and juice (a Blu kit, an MVP, an MVP v2, and a big old pile of cartos and juices). I would have spent (gulp) $1177 (!!!!!!) on butts. So I'm $794 in the black. And I have enough juice and gear to last me for several months if I wanted.

Wow. Typing that out really hit home!

Oh, and food tastes better so I use less salt, and I can smell again. I forgot what autumn smelled like. I've had childhood memories come back to me because I smelled freshly fallen leaves for the first time in decades!

XJ-linux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Since August 26th 2012 I've spent $1207.26 on vaping. At $54 a week on cigarettes (9 packs a week) I would have spent $3594.99 in the same 466 days. That is a saving of $2387.73 which I am happy with. It would have been more savings but I splurged and spent almost $300 on Black Friday on a 300ml of juice, two clearomizers and replacement coil/wicks, a charger and two batteries, and two APV's. At my rate of vaping, I'm good on supplies for another 3 months. I would have spent about $650 in smokes over then next 3 months. Good enough savings for me!

Planethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Lynden, Wa.
All of the posts here are pretty much spot on. It all depends on what you are into. I went to a local B&M because I was confused by all of the things I was reading about online, a language I totally did not understand. The B&M got me set up with a ego Twist style VV mod and a pro tank. My original idea was to ween myself off of the analogs gradually but found I really liked vaping and haven't had an analog since. That was the first of July and haven't had an analog since and don't even want one. This after smoking 1-2 packs a day for over forty years.

I quickly found that vaping turned into an expensive hobby but for me it was never about the cost it was about getting off of the analogs. Right now I definitely spend more on vaping than I did on smoking. This forum introduced me to all of these folks from Greece that make such nice stuff that I just have to try it all.

I guess the bottom line is vaping can be what you want it to be, a means to quit smoking or that and a hobby as well.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I think if you do a lot of research it can be cheaper and very rewarding, not to mention better for my lungs than analogs. I started vaping about 4 months ago. Started with a Vision spinner and Protank II. Since then I added a mini Protank II and a MVP2. My first juice was a sampler pack from Halo, really liked the Tribeca and Torque56 (ended up ordering 30ml of both). I also ordered a few bottles from MBV

At this point I decided I wanted to try my hand at DIY. Procured 500ml of 100mg Nic, 29 TFA flavors, some syringes, storage bottles from Wizard Labs and a gallon of PG and VG from Essential Depot. I also bought 100 feet of 32g Kanthal and some Ekowool to rebuild my heads. I've spent around $400-$500 but have enough supplies to make my own juice for more than a year (still have my eyes on a few more flavors lol).

Overall I think it's much cheaper once you get over the initial start-up cost. I'd say I've probably broken even so far (taking into account of all the DIY supplies I now have). I researched a lot and don't think I've made a lot of mistakes in gear or supplies along the way. I enjoy reading and learning - it's actually been quite a bit of fun, plus it's been 4 months without a single analog after 30 years of smoking. I can't complain at all.

Even if I only end up breaking even but quit analogs, I feel like I've saved something much more important than money! Sorry for rambling on, but I'm really happy I haven't smoked in 4 months :)

Last edited:

dZXn

Nov 11, 2013
Costa Mesa
Every time I think about the costs I think about the possible end game costs of smoking being added in. Oncologists, cancer treatments, and oxygen can really raise cost per day of my habit. My health and ability to experience life are hard place a value on.

That's how I plan on rationalizing my purchases when my girlfriend finds out how much my mods and all the goodies I buy cost. Most of the time I am just happy to not have lit an analog in 23 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

athens

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
United States
After you find a battery that works for you and a flavor you like, stick with it. Vaping only gets expensive for me when I start online shopping for random new juices. In the end I just go back to a nice menthol and the fruity flavors. I used to spend about $100 every 6 months or so. Ive found some juice wholesalers, or the dyi or custom online ordering which can be pretty cheap too. It depends on what your going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread