Is VG safer than PG?

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by Tristalec, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tristalec

Tristalec Full Member

I don't mean to imply that PG is dangerous, but from what I have read it seems that PG can cause throat irritation and possibly harm cats...or something like that.

And I haven't found anything about VG causing throat irritation (although I haven't looked extremely hard)

I'm thinking about ordering the sample pack from Johnson Creek and I don't know if I should order PG, VG, or if it even really matters.

2. ZambucaLu

ZambucaLu ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I think most people here use PG based juice if for no other reason than VG suppliers are very limited...only one, Johnson Creek, that I see. If you're hooked on VG, I guess that's the only way to go. Otherwise, PG should suffice.

Lu

3. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Although know one knows about saftey as there are no studies--it is confimed that PG breaks down as lactic acid and can cause cramping in legs--etc. VG breaks down as a "glucose". Also it has been reported that more people seem to have allergy issues with PG (sore throat, etc) as compared to those with VG--That is why I only use VG or NON-PG. That is my take on it--Sun:)

4. Hermetic

Hermetic Full Member

Vegetable glycerin in comparison to propelene glycol is considered much more healthy when ingested. But regarding inhaling each one, not much study has been done at all about the effects of inhaling either. People might make assumptions to think that if something is safe to consume in its natural state, then it would be safe to inhale, but this is just not true.

5. Catman51

Catman51 Senior Member ECF Veteran

I've noticed cramping in my legs, and just ordered the JC non-PG to see if VG is the cause.

6. Sun Vaporer

Catman--I think you meant to say PG as being the cause??--Sun

7. Catman51

8. Catman51

Oops, must be the PG affecting my brain!8-o

9. Tristalec

Tristalec Full Member

I ended up ordering the Non-PG sample pack from johnson creek.
    Is non-pg the same as vg? What I mean to ask is, Is VG used in Non-PG E-Juice/E-Liquid instead of PG, or is some other "Ingredient" used?

10. Catman51

It's VG from all I've read on their site.

11. Sun Vaporer

Trist--Catman has you covered--it is VG--Sun:)

12. TropicalBob

TropicalBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Go read this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/1734-germ-killing-vapor.html and know that Health New Zealand's Dr. Murray Laugesen verified this and other tests on PG and included the findings in his report of Oct. 30, 2008.

This is THE reason I e-smoke. And this is the reason I will use only PG liquids. It's my own belief that inhaling PG vapor might actually make me healthier than I would be as a non-smoker. VG has minimal benefits, if any.

13. Catman51

TBob,
    The only concern I have is the leg cramps, which I never had before.
    So gonna give VG a shot. If it does away with the symptoms, I'll stick with it. If not, then it's back to PG.

14. Keef

Keef Super Member ECF Veteran

I tried vg it gave me an upset stomach .

Never had any problems with pg .

Someone somewhere must have done a study on pg being inhaled.

There was a post the other day about it being an ingredient in inhalers for asthmatics.

I don`t think for one minute they just used it without testing its effect on the lungs and the body.

15. TropicalBob

TropicalBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Keef! Look two posts up! Follow the link. Of course there have been PG studies ...

16. Elle

Elle Super Member ECF Veteran

my husband said the same thing- he started drinking more water and thats helped a lot.

17. taz3cat

taz3cat Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Tbob ,is right the studies show that PG has some healthier aspects and I have not found that much on VG being inhaled. That is the big factor is that PG has been used as a inhalant.

18. Keef

Keef Super Member ECF Veteran

Thanks Bob, not gone down the health side of it, Just been having fun vaping away.

19. unknwn

unknwn Senior Member

My very first and only experience to date with vaping was in a smoke store where they allowed me a "51 Duo" to try in hopes that I would buy.
    Shortly after my 6-10 draws on the e cig I developed a headache "NOW" that stuck with me through much of the afternoon. I also experienced a very unpleasant reaction to my mouth and lips rhat lasted well into the next day. While studying about e-smoking and fluids I found out about non-PG products intended for those of us who exhibit allergic reactions to PG induced products.
    I am pretty certain that a skin reaction that I have experienced on several occasions while using skin-patch medication delivery was due to the PG used as a delivery vehicle in those products also.
    I have been a moderate to heavy smoker for quite a few years, so I am convinced that this was not a reaction to nicotine in either of my adverse experiences.
    So, Johnson Creek non-PG products it is for me.

20. Kate51

Kate51 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I had to switch off from PG, gives me very sore throat and raspy voice, feels like I'm choking. VG ALSO has anti-bacterial properties, I may add.
    Both have been studied. VG does seem to have a "slightly greasy" aftertaste, but for me better than choking. So far no problems. Can tell right away now if I use just one cart of PG, so that was definitely an irritant for me. Nice thing about Johnson Creek, can order same flavors either way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.