Isnt it beyond all madness they're banning vape products in the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
It's not getting the same treatment because they don't want smoking to go away, because of the tax money, and all the money spent on the patches, and other almost worthless quitting methods that that BP makes a killing on. Follow the money.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
how the hell is tobacco not getting the same treatment?
Simple. Big tobacco had the settlement for $Billions, and States take in Billions more in taxes.

Here in AZ the tax is $2 a pack in Washington its more like $4-5 a pack just in taxes. In New York and New Jersey the tax is even worse

That is why this war is on vaping.

For the past 18 months or so i have been Advising people to prep so they can continue to vape instead of going back to the stinkies.

This means spare mods, spare attys, get liters of nicotine.

Nicotine will be the next choke point. The US Snail has already determined not to ship any nic higher than 61.5 mg/ml

Of course learn to rebuild and DIY Ejuice.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I see the stigma side and that was one reason I got away from cigarettes. The stigma from cigarettes is okay with me. They are bad. But the stigma from vaping as an alternative is just deplorable. Many countries are recognizing the benefits, maybe to varying degrees, but they recognize that the evidence supporting them is present.

The problem here in the States is the reliance on the taxes and the political strength of tobacco/pharma companies. Well, also, just the people that like to open their mouths without understanding.

There is such a lot of information access in today's world, but is it good information?

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Simple. Big tobacco had the settlement for $Billions, and States take in Billions more in taxes.
It's not getting the same treatment because they don't want smoking to go away, because of the tax money...
Y'all are probably right. But, isn't the solution obvious? Tax the eLiquid, and BT & BP make the switch to get their share of the money.

I wouldn't be opposed to tighter regulations to provide a safer vaping experience. And totally willing to pay the taxes as an alternative to an attempted government smack-down of vaping.

But, honestly, where is it being BANNED, other than in places where smoking has been prohibited for decades? That's news to me.

Reactions: Eskie

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
  • NCC
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Drug talk is not permitted on ECF. No exceptions.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
But, honestly, where is it being BANNED, other than in places where smoking has been prohibited for decades? That's news to me.

While even under the most extreme interpretation, vaping by individuals is unaffected by the deeming regulations in their current form. Locations for banned vaping are obviously regulated on a local level generally matching general smoking laws. However, any and all vape stuff that was not on the market as of 2007 (pretty much everything) will no longer be allowed for sale as of 8/2018. That, and local tax rates currently undermining vape shops means there will a de facto ban on vaping without calling it one. If you DIY and build your own coils and have a stockpile, you can continue to vape. you just can't buy anything unapproved (essentially everything).

To add another level to how nutty the Feds can be, back in November, HUD decided to enforce a no smoking policy throughout all public housing. However, the policy does NOT include e cigs:confused:

It was stated "The rule covering public housing forbids cigarettes, cigars, pipes and hookahs (or water pipes) — but not electronic cigarettes — from being smoked in all living units, indoor common areas, administrative offices and all outdoor areas within 25 feet of housing and office buildings." https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/...moking-in-public-housing-nationwide.html?_r=0

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
[Removed], and many drugs/alcohol are used to escape. Hence, many paint the town red on Friday. We have quite a few people that "escape" just a little to often.

I did my share, and probably more than the average, but I like the ups and downs of life as it is.

I don't negatively judge people that do such things within fair reason, but, I understand the gateway concept. I really get ticked when parents with a young child or domestic pet do it to excess. If it was taken off the Schedule, what about free speech, advertisers would push the limits.

When commercials for hard alcohol were banned, that was a very, legally, difficult decision. A LOT of conflict occurred.

@NCC , like many things there is a balance and a bigger picture. I am against some things and less so on others.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
However, any and all vape stuff that was not on the market as of 2007 (pretty much everything) will no longer be allowed for sale as of 8/2018.
August 2018. Lots of time to speak out. And time for modification, which I would expect before enactment.
Has it been passed, or is it a proposal at this point?

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
While even under the most extreme interpretation, vaping by individuals is unaffected by the deeming regulations in their current form. Locations for banned vaping are obviously regulated on a local level generally matching general smoking laws. However, any and all vape stuff that was not on the market as of 2007 (pretty much everything) will no longer be allowed for sale as of 8/2018. That, and local tax rates currently undermining vape shops means there will a de facto ban on vaping without calling it one. If you DIY and build your own coils and have a stockpile, you can continue to vape. you just can't buy anything unapproved (essentially everything).

To add another level to how nutty the Feds can be, back in November, HUD decided to enforce a no smoking policy throughout all public housing. However, the policy does NOT include e cigs:confused:

It was stated "The rule covering public housing forbids cigarettes, cigars, pipes and hookahs (or water pipes) — but not electronic cigarettes — from being smoked in all living units, indoor common areas, administrative offices and all outdoor areas within 25 feet of housing and office buildings." https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/...moking-in-public-housing-nationwide.html?_r=0

"If you DIY and build your own coils and have a stockpile, you can continue to vape. you just can't buy anything unapproved (essentially everything)."
^^^^^
Does this apply to the U.K too?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
"If you DIY and build your own coils and have a stockpile, you can continue to vape. you just can't buy anything unapproved (essentially everything)."
^^^^^
Does this apply to the U.K too?

No, the UK and the EU are exercising some common sense. There are limitations under the TPD which will do things like limit tank sizes to 2 ml, bottles of juice to no more than 10 ml, assorted and sundry annoyances, but not the scorched earth approach the US regulations are heading towards. With Brexit, I wonder if the UK will even adopt the TPD regs.

Reactions: Ragnar94

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Y'all are probably right. But, isn't the solution obvious? Tax the eLiquid, and BT & BP make the switch to get their share of the money.

I wouldn't be opposed to tighter regulations to provide a safer vaping experience. And totally willing to pay the taxes as an alternative to an attempted government smack-down of vaping.

That should work but it can't because the States will not tax fairly.
Pennsylvania added a 40% tax.

At one time New York wanted to tsx 2 ml of ejuice the same as a whole pack of cigsrettes. A $10 bottle of ejuice coykd have $55 in taxes.

Then in New Jersey they are trying to limit vapers choice to 3 flavors

Tobacco
Menthol
Clove.

Basicly the States are destroying vaping so Big Tobacco has to keep paying the States $Billions, and tgdyy get to collect tobacco taxes too.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
August 2018. Lots of time to speak out. And time for modification, which I would expect before enactment.
Has it been passed, or is it a proposal at this point?

Oh, it was enacted in 8/2016 with 2 years for manufacturers to submit applications for their products to remain on the market. Which might sound good until you see the requirements for an application. And even if you can jump trough every hoop, and spend anywhere from $250,000 (low ball estimate) to $1 million PER individual product, there's no guarantee it will be approved or even what the standards will be to even hope for an approval. But it's not an outright ban or anything.:facepalm:

Reactions: NCC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread