Issue with Smok Coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpap

Oct 6, 2017
So i work in a vape store and have had more than a few issues come across my counter with the coils for the smok cloud beast line of tanks (baby beast, cloud beast TFV8, cloud kingTFV12), wherein the top half of the cotton ends up burnt with the burnt taste, while the bottom stays quite like new. And this in the timeframe of only a few days.
Anyone seeing this issue?
Any solutions?

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The bottom half of the coil will stay saturated as the user vapes the tank down. As soon as the user allows the juice level to fall below the middle of the wicking openings, he's battling the ability of the wicking material to remain saturated top to bottom. At some point, the head differential between the top of the wicking hole and the juice level becomes too great and the wick can't keep up.

They should not allow the juice levels to get too low.

At higher wattages, this essentially makes the Baby Beast perform like a dripping atomizer, because the Smok TFVx line of coils are thirsty.

Jpap

Oct 6, 2017
The bottom half of the coil will stay saturated as the user vapes the tank down. As soon as the user allows the juice level to fall below the middle of the wicking openings, he's battling the ability of the wicking material to remain saturated top to bottom. At some point, the head differential between the top of the wicking hole and the juice level becomes too great and the wick can't keep up.

They should not allow the juice levels to get too low.

At higher wattages, this essentially makes the Baby Beast perform like a dripping atomizer, because the Smok TFVx line of coils are thirsty.

This makes alot of sense and surprised i didnt think of this before. Thank you.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
I am having issues with the coils for the Micro TFV4 tank. The STC2 stainless steel coils. After a couple of refills, the wadding expands, either at the top or the bottom of the coil, blocking airflow. Meanwhile, the wadding seems to clog up, and there is no wicking action resulting in continued dry hits.
This happening with genuine coils bought from different reputable vendors. As I can't find a solution, I bought two RBA kits and going for building my own coils for the tank.
I would highly appreciate any indication on how to solve the problem.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The pin or needle trick works for loosening up the wick material. Insert one in 2-3 spots on each wick slot/hole and wiggle a bit.

The airflow is a different problem. Air comes through the airflow chamber and up through the center of the coil head. It's most likely juice gunk blocking that. I don't own a TFV4 tank, so I'm no more help than that.

• Useful

AshKicker

Mar 10, 2018
Chicago
So i work in a vape store and have had more than a few issues come across my counter with the coils for the Smok cloud beast line of tanks (baby beast, cloud beast TFV8, cloud kingTFV12), wherein the top half of the cotton ends up burnt with the burnt taste, while the bottom stays quite like new. And this in the timeframe of only a few days.
Any solutions?
Check out my videos on different TFV8 coils and what wattage to run them on.

• Useful

AshKicker

Mar 10, 2018
Chicago
So i work in a vape store and have had more than a few issues come across my counter with the coils for the Smok cloud beast line of tanks (baby beast, cloud beast TFV8, cloud kingTFV12), wherein the top half of the cotton ends up burnt with the burnt taste, while the bottom stays quite like new. And this in the timeframe of only a few days.
Any solutions?
Most likely explanation is user error. Always fill your tank as soon as it reaches the very top of the wicking slots at the minimum. Also if you chain vape like me give at least 4-5 seconds between vapes while staying in the lower end of the best range. For example my favorite TFV8 full size coil is the t6 with a 110-150 best so I all day chain vape at 115.

rollersk4te

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2016
Orlando, FL
socialonlinebydesign.com
Extra emphasis on priming the TFV coils! With these, it isn't good enough to just let them sit for a while with eliquid in the tank. You have to drop some eliquid directly on the wick before you put the coil in the tank, too. I suspect this is because the wicking material is packed so tight in the chamber.... it doesn't really wick the eliquid in the tank very well unless it's saturated first, loosening up the wicking material.

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The bigger the coil... The more it needs priming. Etc.

I find several "no wattage" pulls into a coil to work for most of my priming needs (and at the moment I am vaping rather thick juice as I am PG sensitive) even before I press the fire button, usually starting at wattages that emit no visible vapor as I prime. A well primed coil is a happy coil. For some of those stubborn Smok coils, it does seem for some folks to improve results with a judicious needle poke or two into the coil, to help prime it. It just sort of loosens up the cotton a bit and allows it to prime more easily.... Best of luck.

I also tend to inhale a second or two after I stop hitting the fire button, and I find that practice (which is kind of second nature to me now) to help with consistent wicking in some more stubborn coils.

Anna

AshKicker

Mar 10, 2018
Chicago
Extra emphasis on priming the TFV coils! With these, it isn't good enough to just let them sit for a while with eliquid in the tank. You have to drop some eliquid directly on the wick before you put the coil in the tank, too. I suspect this is because the wicking material is packed so tight in the chamber.... it doesn't really wick the eliquid in the tank very well unless it's saturated first, loosening up the wicking material.
The wicking is packed way too tight. I’ve been they like 150+ tfv
The bigger the coil... The more it needs priming. Etc.

I find several "no wattage" pulls into a coil to work for most of my priming needs (and at the moment I am vaping rather thick juice as I am PG sensitive) even before I press the fire button, usually starting at wattages that emit no visible vapor as I prime. A well primed coil is a happy coil. For some of those stubborn Smok coils, it does seem for some folks to improve results with a judicious needle poke or two into the coil, to help prime it. It just sort of loosens up the cotton a bit and allows it to prime more easily.... Best of luck.

I also tend to inhale a second or two after I stop hitting the fire button, and I find that practice (which is kind of second nature to me now) to help with consistent wicking in some more stubborn coils.

Anna
Ditto lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread