Istick 100w- not the Eleaf we're used to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheddy Vapes

Jul 20, 2015
Chepstow, SE Wales
Well this review has turned out to be a bit of a bummer. I started it a few days ago and didn't realise that the draft deleted it's self. Any way I wanted it to be getting it on here earlier today but I had to redo the whole thing.... And I may be a bottle of P15 Melbec down and with another one beside me ready to pop the cork.

So this is going to a be a review of the Istick 100w from Eleaf. It's far from the standard we are used to from the Istick series, and that's not a bad thing. Instead of a small, pocket friendly low(isn) powered device with an inbuilt battery, it's now a larger, high powered mod that takes two 18650's. It seems to me that Eleaf are now trying to break into more experienced vapers.

Product Description From Manufacturer:
The iStick 100W is a new addition to the iStick series. The 100 watts maximum output will give you a powerful vaping experience. Designed with changeable 18650 cell structure, it will be more convenient for users who like to carry spare cells. The ventilation holes are specially added for better heat dissipation. With a round and smooth surface, our iStick 100W will also give you a great feel in your hand.

Packaging: 7/10
The Box is a white and light green design with a single picture of the device on the front. It's not a complicated design at all but nor is outstanding in anyway but it is just a box. The reverse of the box has the product description, the "standard configuration" (contents of the package), all of the standard warning symbols and statements and a QR code and a "scratch and sniff" style authenticity code. The kit contains the mod, an Ego adaptor, a USB cable for use with the pass-through charging board and a rather in-depth 26 page user manual. It's nothing outstanding, it's just good.

Looks:7/10
I really like the looks of this device. It's different to the usual Istick but is still recognisable to the older mods in this series. The buttons have been moved from the front to the side as has the screen. There are vent holes on the top of the mod on both front and back which don't look great but function over form any day when it comes to safety. The battery door also fits nice and flush and while I know that's not looks as such it is something you sport when looking at the rear of the device. The curves on the 100w look really good though as I feel the sharp edges of the MVP 3.0 Pro look uncomfortable (but it does look great too). All in all i would it's nothing outstanding, it's just good.

Features: 8/10
The most obvious it that it has an expanded power out of 5 watts to 100 watts (2 volts to 10 volts) which makes the device very versatile and will be good for all levels of vapers although I feel it's mainly aimed at moderately to highly experienced. The resistance range has also been increased. It can now read from 0.15 ohms up to 5.0 ohms, but i would still suggest you build with your batteries amp limits to make sure everything is safe. The fully aluminium body feels sturdy enough but the buttons feel and look a little cheap for my liking and our sliding around a rattling a lot. The battery door with 4 magnets on both the door and the device is great though, it's one of the only battery doors the stay completely put with no movement in it at all which is awesome, it also blends in fairly well and fits super flush. It also has a spring loaded 510 which is great but it's also fairly standard, and almost a necessity now with all of the tanks with different length connection pins on the market. The Istick has a lot of inbuilt protection as well which is great: Advanced Temperature Alarm Function, Low Voltage Protection, Temperature Protection, Atomizer Low Resistance Protection, Short Circuit Protection and Over Charge Protection. While using this device with high-amperage batteries like the 25r's from Samsung it's pretty safe to be rocking a 0.3 ohm coil at 75 watts.

Well that's the second cork out!

510 Connection: 8/10
Eleaf have continued to use their spring loaded 510 with the 100 watt which is only common sense these days as a fixed 510 is a big no-no from me. The 510 is positioned on the opposing side to the screen which makes the device fit nicely in your palm. It's situated about 24mm away from the edge of the mod so it should fit nearly all of your tanks and drippers nicely. None of mine overhang but I don't own any 26650 sized tanks or drippers. The one issue i have is that the connection on mine sits proud of the body of the mod by about 0.5mm so when an arty is screwed on you can fit a sheet of paper underneath it and that might make your OCD scream a little but it's not an issue too much for me and all of my atties feel sturdy on top.

Usage: 8/10 (buttons let's it down for me)
At this current moment in time I have an Aspire Atlantis V2 on the Eleaf, it's got a 0.3 ohm coil in it and is filled with Chinstrap from Penguin E-Juices and i've got 75 watts pumping through it! It's gaping great so far and the chip seems to be working well! It's a very versatile device and I equally like to rock my Silo tank with a 1.6 ohm coil at 15 watts and it feels like it performs equally well then. It is quite a large device but fits well in the hand and is not quite as big as some other boxes I own, it's a great middle ground between needing oversized man-paws and clenching you fist to hold it tight. Eleaf have produced what feels to be a fairly durable device but I do feel like the buttons could be improved some what. They rattle around like loose change in your pocket and I really dislike any rattle from a device. I find that you have to have your finger or thumb in just the right place on the button as it doesn't fire and this bother's me a bit when I can't quite find the spot. They also quite cheap and plastic-y but that's really the only gripe I have with this device. The screen has the same layout as all the other Isticks which is nice and familiar to previous users of Eleaf's devices the only difference being that the screen can be altered for you lefties out there (strange bunch of people ;)) and that the ohm meter read to two three decimal places now and it seems to be pretty accurate.

Over-All: 38/50
The Istick 100w is my go to device for lower ohm builds as It's got a high output, is regulated and has a great battery life with two 18650's on board. It's got no silly menus just a set the wattage and toot away to your hearts content. I like the fact that this doesn't have TC as that may make it appeal to newer user a bit more and I don't get on with TC and don't like paying for feature's i won't use. For the money it's a great mod for people looking for a higher powered device, people who want to start getting into lower ohm builds and still use a regulated device or, like me, you just want a nice easy hassle free cape. It's sturdy enough, powerful enough and looks pretty good too for my uses.

Sheddy Vapes

Jul 20, 2015
Chepstow, SE Wales
Yeah I get that it's not for experienced vapers but I meant people that will utilise the full 100w! I know it doesn't have TC and I stated that! I dunni though I completely understand and agree to a certain extent what you are sying but for it to be used to its potential you would have to be more than an ego user if you understand what I mean! I just didn't word it great!

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
IDK man.... They can't just make 20 watt mods over and over. Its all nicotine consumption to me. If it doesn't have nicotine I don't vape it. Thats just me its all the same. 20 watts 100 watts. Its just a push of a button and a lower ohm coil. It's about time they made a high wattage device. IMO I think new vapers should start with the best mods higher wattage devices and RTA's. I do not get a satisfied vape with 20 watts and with ANY Apsire like tank.

Eleaf is my fav vape brand. They sell reasonable priced cheap products that have as or better quality then the blood suckers like those that sell cheap .... for over a hundred dollars a pop. Like Starbucks of Vaping bull.....

KyleStreet

Jul 17, 2015
I had it for a day and the 510 ....ed up. Like real bad. Like I can't use it until my new 510 connector comes. I just want to say: DO NOT SCREW YOUR ATTYS DOWN TOO FAR, IT WILL .... UP YOUR 510 AND POSSIBLY YOUR DAY IF YOU DONT HAVE ANOTHER MOD WITH YOU. Also, DO NOT USE A TUGBOAT V2 ON IT, AS THIS IS WHAT ....ED UP MY 510. Sorry for the profanity, I'm just gutted that my first replaceable-battery box mod disappointed me like this.

Don_Lewis

Dec 20, 2015
I just got a eleaf istick 100w today and i have a question.
In your review you said "Designed with changeable 18650 cell structure, it will be more convenient for users who like to carry spare cells."; these two sentences are everywhere, on the box, in the manual and every online anything i have yet found. I cannot seem to find an explanation of what it means though.

I originally thought that it just meant that you could change the batteries out, but about a half hour ago i got the flashing battery indicator meaning low battery power and instead of waiting for the mod to turn itself off, i switched batteries for a fresh set. When i put the batteries that were in the istick in my charger, the charger tells me that one battery is depleted and the other battery is still fully charged.

This reminded me of that sentence that you used... "it will be more convenient for users who like to carry spare cells".
So is it that it only uses one of the batteries and you can just swap where they are at in the mod? If that is the case, then why do both batteries have contact points in the mod? Besides, wouldn't it require power from two cells to fire 100 watts?
I am currently only using a 2.2 ohm atomizer at 7.5 watts and i was grousing that the battery life with two batteries in the istick wasn't any longer than in my tesla with one battery. This leads me to wonder if "changeable cell structure" might mean that it only uses one battery if the wattage requirement is below some number... if that is the case, will it auto-switch to the other battery if i let the first one run completely out?

This leads me to replying to your review... I cannot seem to find anything that actually tells how this thing uses batteries!
Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread