Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Up to around $35-$40 I'm okay with fixed batts. I've got 6 iSticks and even the 6 month old i50 is still plugging away (though one i30 did get dementia... it's "autofire" unsafe now).
But for higher priced mods, I prefer the replaceables. It really is that "now it's a doorstop" issue.

I have a VS DNA40 with a soldered in battery. The small size is nice. When the battery goes I'll just solder in a new one. They can all be replaced if you can do the job, even the Lipo's.

The thing I don't like with a fixed battery mod is you can't vape it while it's charging.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Sony vtc4s are $6 each at illumn.com. I recommend those for a 100W mod.

If I needed batteries, and those are verified, I'd snap up a few myself. Might do it anyway for the xCube using 25Rs right now.

But again... it's a parallel dual mod. And only 100w at that. The current draw is split between them so even 20A cells are more than enough for the max ~17A that it will ever pull.

Because the cells never "see" the coil, resistance is useless for a regulated mod's "amps at the battery" calculation. Instead... it's "current equals watts divided by battery voltage".
And opposite to a Mech, it goes up as the cells fade. Use 3.2v to be safe.

ETA: Sorry, I was thinking of the 30A VCT3 as your suggestion. Never had Sonys and I got confuzzled.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
If I needed batteries, and those are verified, I'd snap up a few myself. Might do it anyway for the xCube using 25Rs right now.

But again... it's a parallel dual mod. And only 100w at that. The current draw is split between them so even 20A cells are more than enough for the max ~17A that it will ever pull.

Because the cells never "see" the coil, resistance is useless for a regulated mod's "amps at the battery" calculation. Instead... it's "current equals watts divided by battery voltage".
And opposite to a Mech, it goes up as the cells fade. Use 3.2v to be safe.

ETA: Sorry, I was thinking of the 30A VCT3 as your suggestion. Never had Sonys and I got confuzzled.

They are a trustworthy seller, and they're good batteries. I've had a 25r just croak out of the blue for no known reason, so I'm going with Sonys from now on. They've been more reliable for me. I'm also tired of rewrapping the 25rs. They have the thinnest wrappers!

They do sell the 25r for $5 each if you prefer them.

Reactions: InTheShade

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
They are a trustworthy seller, and they're good batteries. I've had a 25r just croak out of the blue for no known reason, so I'm going with Sonys from now on. They've been more reliable for me. I'm also tired of rewrapping the 25rs. They have the thinnest wrappers!

They do sell the 25r for $5 each if you prefer them.

I borrowed some of the wife's clear nail polish and coated the bottom and top layers of the wraps on my 25R's - seems to have done the trick. The latests green 25R's also seem to have a slightly more durable wrap - but I agree - they would nick after the first charge without the nail polish.

Reactions: roxynoodle

PD Vapes

Sep 29, 2015
UK North-West
I have a VS DNA40 with a soldered in battery. The small size is nice. When the battery goes I'll just solder in a new one. They can all be replaced if you can do the job, even the Lipo's.

The thing I don't like with a fixed battery mod is you can't vape it while it's charging.

You can get quite a few fixed battery devices you can vape on while charging.

Personally that's why I like my mods which work on 18650s. I have several sets I swap out and charge when the others are low.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I borrowed some of the wife's clear nail polish and coated the bottom and top layers of the wraps on my 25R's - seems to have done the trick. The latests green 25R's also seem to have a slightly more durable wrap - but I agree - they would nick after the first charge without the nail polish.

More often than not the tears are on the sides! Now it might be just one or two of my mods causing this, but I use mechs, too, and won't use a battery with a damaged wrapper.

But, if I buy more I'll get the green ones. At the moment I'm using all Sonys in the high power regulated boxes and the mechs. I've recently bought a slew of Sonys for them.

PD Vapes

Sep 29, 2015
UK North-West
What does it take to shrink a replacement wrap?
I haven't touched a heat gun since I was with the Gov't a couple decades ago (oops, did I just admit that?). :eek:

Most heat shrink wrap will work with a lighter or a decent hair dryer as well as a heat gun.
A heat gun makes it a lot easier, though it's essentially cut the tubing to the size of the battery, sliding it on and giving it some pass overs with your heart source and watching it shrink to fit your battery.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You can get quite a few fixed battery devices you can vape on while charging.

Mine can be vaped when it's charging, but it's got a 2500 mAh 18650 in it that the charger charges in about 1 1/2 hours. I bought a 2.5 amp wall wart for it to handle the current safely and so I don't have to risk my computer USB port. In order to vape it while it's charging I have to go to where it's plugged in. I just vape something else until it's charged.

PD Vapes

Sep 29, 2015
UK North-West
Mine can be vaped when it's charging, but it's got a 2500 mAh 18650 in it that the charger charges in about 1 1/2 hours. I bought a 2.5 amp wall wart for it to handle the current safely and so I don't have to risk my computer USB port. In order to vape it while it's charging I have to go to where it's plugged in. I just vape something else until it's charged.

When I started out, I had a 30w eleaf i stick, had a fixed battery, but it was advertised as being able to vape while charging.

At the moment I have a 150w Sigelei TC mod. So I just have a few sets of paired batterys, I swap in and out when others run low.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
At the moment I have a 150w Sigelei TC mod. So I just have a few sets of paired batterys, I swap in and out when others run low.

That is my preference. It lets me chose the batteries I use and I can swap them out at will. Works well for me :)

OTOH, the VS DNA40 is smaller than my Reo Grand and that's nice sometimes. I think of the Sigelei 150 as 'the brick' because of its size and don't take it with me when I go out. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
You can get istick50W for ~$30 online, they are cheap and disposable.
Or you can get 4 batteries for $40 and a charger for another $25-30, so that's $65 spent and you even have a mod yet

4 batteries for $40? I don't know how you spell relief, but I spell it, S.A.M.S.U.N.G (25r R5).

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I use a blow dryer to shrink new wrap. Those Samsungs just have paper thin wrappers. I'm very nice to my gear and batteries. I bought a roll of shrink wrap off ebay for $5 or $6 that can do 80 batteries. Precut would be easier, but I didn't know if I would ever need to do 18490s...well I guess you can just cut off what you don't need for smaller batterys. The stuff I bought though is thick and very tough. I doubt I'll tear that.

Just make sure after rewrapping you let the battery cool off at least a couple of hours before using or charging it. Its not hard, just kind of a pain. My fingernails have gotten very weak lately, probably due to malabsorption of nutrients from having pancreatitis. So getting the old wrap off can be a nightmare for me. Don't use metal tools to get it off.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I use a blow dryer to shrink new wrap. Those Samsungs just have paper thin wrappers. I'm very nice to my gear and batteries. I bought a roll of shrink wrap off ebay for $5 or $6 that can do 80 batteries. Precut would be easier, but I didn't know if I would ever need to do 18490s...well I guess you can just cut off what you don't need for smaller batterys. The stuff I bought though is thick and very tough. I doubt I'll tear that.

Just make sure after rewrapping you let the battery cool off at least a couple of hours before using or charging it. Its not hard, just kind of a pain. My fingernails have gotten very weak lately, probably due to malabsorption of nutrients from having pancreatitis. So getting the old wrap off can be a nightmare for me. Don't use metal tools to get it off.

Not as bad as those Sonys! Those things have such thin skin that mine are peeling right now because they feel insulted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread