istick 100w

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuCloud

Apr 10, 2015
Knoxville,TN
I see the new istick 100w is coming out soon, and a lot of people have it for preorder...My question is why is it priced so cheap? I have seen it from $30-$75. It seems to me like it would be priced around the $75-$100 price range, since the istick 50w is usually around $50 or less. It doesnt make sense the 100w would be cheaper than a 50w.

Any thoughts on this from anybody?

Reactions: Bantam59

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
e55et-albums-misc-picture48519-medium-uvex-fire-suit.jpg

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Considering companies with much better track records have had trouble with usb charging, I wouldn't trust eleaf with it.

IPV4 had the great design of squeezing the charging board in and putting a tiny little piece of tape to "protect" the consumers, is that one the companies with a "better track record"?

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
My :2c: :

Isticks have been known to lower the price point. Their sales motto is volume sales with moderate quality. When Eleaf came out with the Istick 20, it shook the market, forcing all others to lower their prices. Then they improved and made the 30 for practically the same price. The thing is, those were very reliable items. When they came out with the 50w, they did have those problems, but most ecig companies have had one sort of problem or another. It's just the nature of the business. I don't distrust a company based on one failure... usually, those are the companies that learn from their mistakes, and I am sure Eleaf will.

Case in point.. the Cloupor mini. They did have a problem with one of their IC's... It's easy to criticize a company based on their failure. Sure, all Ecigs should work as intended with no problems, but this isn't a perfect world. Their failure rate was less than %.5, yet the stigma was gotten through pictures from a few cases.. I think I've seen only 5-6 cases, and they said under 20 were reported last time I checked.. that is out of THOUSANDS, possibly over 100,000. That was their failure rate, and other failures were reported while charging. Since the cloupor mini comes with a USB charge port, most people assume that you can plug in just any ole' USB charger and everything will be fine... but USB is not a set amperage. If you plugged the device into a 2A charger, you would be fast charging the device. They listed the specs in the manual, so it wouldn't surprise me that something was blown. Anyway, Back to the point.. when they came out with their upgrade, they added a battery, increased the wattage, and added temperature control, added spring loaded center contact and lightened the box by using aluminum.. it's known as the Cloupor GT. Same setup, same overall design, but with improvements. Guess what's NOT on their new box.... a USB charging port. Let's just hope they can continue after suffering through this problem.

Istick has had their problems with the Istick 50w..but again, it's not a common occurrence. Sigeli 100 learned from it's reverse threaded center pin (which I love, but others didn't), and now they're all spring loaded. Vamo had the problem with their center pin and contacts being brass.. the latest versions fixed that problem as well as the poor bottom spring contacts. I can go on.

So, I wouldn't let one bad seed destroy the bunch. There WILL be problems with mods, there WILL be some defective mods. But don't blacklist a company for one problem on a past device when they've produced many other products. Companies learn from their mistakes, and with an industry that's evolving so much in a short amount of time, don't expect a %100 trouble free ride.

pevinsghost

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2015
St Louis, MO
Let me try to be even clearer, I'm not hating on eleaf. I love my istick 20 watt. Perfect fit for my nautilus mini, and been completely trouble free.

But when you say:
So, I wouldn't let one bad seed destroy the bunch. There WILL be problems with mods, there WILL be some defective mods. But don't blacklist a company for one problem on a past device when they've produced many other products. Companies learn from their mistakes, and with an industry that's evolving so much in a short amount of time, don't expect a %100 trouble free ride.
I would say, the one place you absolutely can not afford mistakes is with battery safety, unless you can afford to replace a burned down house.

It was a mistake to single out eleaf, as I did. I don't care if the device is made by Mercedes Benz, I don't trust mods with onboard, multi battery charging.

If there goes multiple years with no devices being released by any manufacturers with any problems whatsoever, I may reconsider that position, but as things stand, it is too risky for me personally, and I won't be recommending it to others.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Let me try to be even clearer, I'm not hating on eleaf. I love my istick 20 watt. Perfect fit for my nautilus mini, and been completely trouble free.

But when you say:

I would say, the one place you absolutely can not afford mistakes is with battery safety, unless you can afford to replace a burned down house.

It was a mistake to single out eleaf, as I did. I don't care if the device is made by Mercedes Benz, I don't trust mods with onboard, multi battery charging.

If there goes multiple years with no devices being released by any manufacturers with any problems whatsoever, I may reconsider that position, but as things stand, it is too risky for me personally, and I won't be recommending it to others.

Fair enough. I can understand the concerns. But I just wanted to point out, that laptops have multi-celled lithium ion batteries, and some of them catch on fire. I also just recently responded about someone blaming a tablet for when the battery vented and was contained in a bag. The tablet was for his 10 year old, and specified 1.5a charging max from a micro USB port. I bet the youngster used a 2.1 amp charger. I see lithium batteries venting all the time in the news, and most of the time it's due to abuse from the user. I can understand from the manufacturers point of view, that they need high power batteries for the latest devices, which Lithium Ion is the clear winner at the moment. Unfortunately, they have to bulletproof everything to keep users safe from themselves. Cellphone batteries have vented, laptop batteries have vented.. but it's not the company that is the problem, it's how the device was used.

Yes, battery safety should be a prime concern, and yes, vaping is a device that demands a lot from the battery. So, charge and treat your battery with respect, and you should have no problem.

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
the 50w, they did have those problems, It's just the nature of the business. I don't distrust a company based on one failure... usually, those are the companies that learn from their mistakes, and I am sure Eleaf will.

My problem with them is how they handled THEIR screw up by first ignoring the problem, then by claiming every single one of the devices that failed where clones, even though they had passed the scratch and sniff test

That alone, even though I own a working Istick 50W, I don't think I will ever buy another Eleaf device, I've seen the TC40W for sale at $25 and have no desire.

Reactions: Bantam59
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread