Status
Not open for further replies.

Killowatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Florida
I have one, and another on the way. Haven't had any problems to date, but I only run it at 15w. From what I've read, these have a problem getting rid of the heat of the boards, so even though they say 50w, I wouldn't run them above 25w-30w. I got mine for the battery life, not the power. I'll use a quality box mod with an evolve board for my higher power usage.

Reactions: Cool_Breeze

VaperBox

Unresolved Status
Apr 30, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My 20W iStick fire switch feels flaky and always has, but it has never auto-fired as far as I know. It will change from watts to volts by itself sometimes and will change the voltage or wattage setting on its own, but that usually happens when It's been in my pocket. Same for the 50W, except the 50W has a very positive switch that takes significantly more pressure to fire and has a noticeable de-actuation feel as it returns to off. You feel the "click" both ways, on and off.

I've only noticed my iSticks getting warm when I plug them into a 2A adapter. If I charge them at 1A or 1.3A they stay relatively cool. There's a little warmth if I run them to low battery levels before charging. I try to top them off daily rather than running them to cutoff.

I waited a few months before diving in and buying them. Maybe I got a retrofitted or later version. Anyone know how to bring up the revision level on the display?
---

ETA ... I picked up this tip from the web site in the URL below. Maybe we can compare temps while charging. Mine showed 29 degrees C.
Try pressing the fire button exactly ten times in a row in less than 2-3 seconds when the device is powered off. It will display the internal temperature of the iStick 50W for a couple of seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cool_Breeze

RichJr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boston Ma.
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Business discussions not allowed. Thank You!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Well I now have the 1A charge thingie supplied with the iStick30w. What I've discovered is that the iStick gets warm while it's charging, but the wallwart does not. When it stops charging and the display goes off, by the time I realize that and go unplug it, the iStick is no longer particularly warm. So I think me and my iSticks are safe. Of course I've never let it run down beyond 2 of the flashy squares in the display; when it's only one of the squares, then it doesn't even get terribly warm.

Andria

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I had mine for months unil I dropped it twice in a row. Never a problem. We are aware that eLeaf has a couple issues that only affects <1% of iStick 50 watt. A charge issue and a auto fire issue. They are also aware that many clones are produced now and that's where the exploding ones come in. On our forum we had one auto fire issue that was a real iSick and it never exploded.

Just my 2¢, no need for retaliation. Just passing on that info.

how do you know these issues affect <1% of 50w iSticks? ... I would think, most of the mishaps are not even reported.

it's a disposable device ... when it dies or vents 91 days in, it goes in the dumpster.

RichJr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boston Ma.
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Business discussions are not allowed. Thank you - Robino1

RichJr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boston Ma.
qT2no18.jpg
S6aS78T.jpg

I use the iPhone 1A block for all my USB charging needs. Works without issue for everything I've used including the iStick 50 watt.

(The charge issue previously stated is actually a "no charge" issue. It will simply fail to charge.)

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I'm in association with a big authorized reseller. ;)

Also they do support 1A charging hence the extra heat while charging.

fair enough, you confirm <1% within 90 days ... I was referring to days 91 and beyond.

not many are gong to survive a year ... hence, no one year warranty.

what's concerning is? ... the way some of these 50w iSticks are dying ... if they just didn't turn on one day, who cares? it's disposable ... but these kind of failures are a funeral waiting to happen.

the survival data on these gets lost on the 91st day ... where a company like ProVape can provide the failure rate well beyond the one year warranty expires ... because, they still repair the odd 5 year old broken device.

RichJr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boston Ma.
I understand your point fully. That's why I usually opt for devices that you can swap batteries. They usually last longer because one of the parts that usual fails is somewhere along the charging line, weather it be the batteries or the IC chip. I'm fully addicted to the Tesla 120 watt box mod now. So much power, plenty of charge (dual 18650 series) and it can be repaired much easier than the iStick, if that's your cup of tea.

Remember the 90 day period is where most faults appear. Usually much sooner if its going to happen. I own over 100 devices accross over 10 different manufacturers and in my 4 years vaping this seems to prove true.

That's another reason I love the Odyssey devices with their 5 year warranty. Can't fault that! Oops 3 years later the pin falls out, no problem! Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread