Istick30 almost caught fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieferz

Oct 19, 2014
Louisville,Ky
Not sure if this is the right forum or not so please move it if it is not in the right place.

I was charging my istick30 when all of a sudden me and my boyfriend smelt this awful smell similar to fingernail polish remover. We looked everywhere and couldn't locate where the smell was coming from. I eventually gave up trying to locate it and went to grab my istick. It was so hot I immediately dropped it on my couch and it left a burn mark (thank goodness I just ordered a new couch that is scheduled to be delivered soon). I immediately unplugged it and realized the smell was coming from the istick. It was completely melted on the inside! I called the store I bought it from and was told to bring it in. They said they were not sure if it was the istick or the fact I was charging it using an old phone charger (which I was told when I bought the istick was fine to charge it with). They replaced the unit and gave me a free istick charger which was very kind considering I didn't have my receipt. I am really shook up over this. This could have been really bad and ended very badly. Just wanted to put the word out there and see if anyone else had had or heard of any similar issues.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I've heard this before happening, I worry about this with m iStick 50w or my dads.

We were told the eGrip charger would work fine and it does charge my dads, but it does get warm, as well as the charger that's plugged in at the wall.
I just got my Wednesday so I haven't had to charge it yet, I'm not even at half yet. I was going to charge it for the first time with my computer I think to see how that does.

Glad nothing really bad happened though such as charging it over night and not being able to catch it as fast

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Not sure how a 15 amp, 110/120 volt ground fault interrupter is going to alleviate the issue of a 0.5 amp @ 5 volt capable adapter trying to charge a device that demands 0.8 amp @ 5 volt current.

Use quality, name brand, 2.1 amp USB wall warts and car adapters, people. The $15 is well worth your home, vehicle or heaven forbid, your life.

Find genuine, OEM Samsung or iPhone tablet/phone charge adapters or get belkin aftermarkets.

Spread the word...

Tapatyped

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
What is a wall wart?
Plugs into wall.
Has square block somewhere.
Outputs voltage for your device.
Used to power or charge many consumer devices.

In this case it will be a small brick with prongs sticking out to plug into the wall with a USB output on the other side.

Like this....

923b081cb791dcfabe6aa169a529a2ce.jpg

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
If there is a 15 milliamperes difference between neutral & signal in a device, the GFI shuts down the circuit and all recepticals 'lined' to it..
Which is not necessarily a symptom of the likely problem at hand.

Plus .015A @ 120V = 1.8W

A differential of roughly 40% to 60% of the charging circuit power output in question.

In terms of this specific circuit, that would be a massive fault.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread