Status
Not open for further replies.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I bought the CoolFire 4 TC100 starter kit, which came with this tank. Not only were the coils that came with it duds, but I get horribly muted flavor on the .5 ss coils. Am I just running too much wattage through this thing, or do iSubs just have horrible flavor? A lot of people seem to like them, like this guy...

Yeah, I finally tried the SS .5 coil that came with it and had a similar experience. Using it in temp mode was better than wattage, but really lackluster on flavor with both. The 2.0 coils are much better for flavor, but it's strange that the .5's aren't really doing it. Not sure if it's the tank or bum coils or what.

Reactions: DonnaVapes

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
This tank, as well as all isub's are also designed for 2.0 coils- rated 10-16 watts.

It would be more accurate to say "these 2.0 coils were designed to work in the iSub tanks".

Through the first three models (at least) we had exactly ONE coil head available... the sub-ohm 0.5 Kanthal. We didn't even get the RBA until a couple of months ago. And the 0.2 and 2.0 didn't arrive until very late last year... Nov/Dec I believe. Might have been Jan. actually.
That's about a year with just that one coil option... a sub-ohm coil.

The early tanks' airflow, chamber size and chimney diameter were designed around that 0.5 head.

Just sayin'. ;)

Last edited:

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
No sarcasm on my part. You would be correct that not everyone uses .5 coils. As a matter of fact owner at store uses the 1.8 ohms on Triton and his leaks like a sieve. I run sub ohm coils on every tank and mine Triton does not leak. A tank can not do both well. Their is no way to design it to do both well. Perhaps the Triton Mini will change how companies think now and they realize not everyone wants sub ohms stuff.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
I bought the CoolFire 4 TC100 starter kit, which came with this tank. Not only were the coils that came with it duds, but I get horribly muted flavor on the .5 ss coils. Am I just running too much wattage through this thing, or do iSubs just have horrible flavor? A lot of people seem to like them, like this guy...

Yours is the first 'negative' review I've heard about the allegedly fabulous TC 100 & Vortex & the SS coils. I was just about at the point of buying yet another Innokin product because of all the rants & raves about this newest setup.... now you have me wondering again. It would be my first TC unit ever and highest wattage device I would own. The reviewers on YT make it sound like it's heavenly with flavor and vapor production. Have you had any luck since your post? Perhaps new coils or the TI or NI coils with better luck? Wow... please update us when you find the time & thanks!

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
Makes me laugh when people go on how every tank they use leaks. Perhaps it is the owner that vapes a tank in a way the tank was not designed for. I own allot of tanks. The owner of our local store, every tank he uses leaks, yet I have the same tanks from him and my tanks never leak. Seems people that complain about leaky tanks are mostly mouth to lung and vape low watts where I am a strait lung hitter at around 42 to 65 watts. Leaky tanks is mostly all user error in my opinion. When a coil gets old and worn out and wick can no longer do its job what does one expect to happen? Where you think the juice should go? If a tank is designed for lots of air and juice flow and you vape at low wattage it does not get all vaped up, then you pull even more juice in with another vape, what happens with the excess juice? Juice has to go somewhere. Personally I think the Isub tank for the money are one of the best low watt tanks ever produced but they must run at least 22 - 30 watts. At that wattage they throw clouds like most other lung tanks at 45 -50 watts. I guess the morel of my story is if your tank always leaks then turn up the wattage and vape them how they were designed for. Every tank has a sweet spot and our job is to find that sweet spot. CHEERS!

Wheelie - what about those of us who rely on the ohm calculators to figure out how high to vape? That may be my problem with my leaky tanks - stark fear of what might happen if I crank the mod up higher than the charts and calculators tell me is safe. I can almost see you ROFL but consider an older person, retired medical professional who is super-safety-conscious about everything (wasn't so much 40+ years ago) and just doesn't know whom to ask -- I've read online articles and battery safety articles and vaping safety articles until I'm nearly cross-eyed.... I think the highest I vape is around 14 watts (even with mods that go up to 60) and the other reason, besides safety, is that it seems to burn my coils/juice and taste yukky if I crank it up too much more. I guess some advice would be welcome here. (My coils range from .5 to 2.0 ohms, btw). Anyway, thank you for any help. Also, I'm a MTL vaper with mostly 65% VG juices ranging from 3-12mg nic.

Reactions: wheelie

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Wheelie - what about those of us who rely on the ohm calculators to figure out how high to vape? That may be my problem with my leaky tanks - stark fear of what might happen if I crank the mod up higher than the charts and calculators tell me is safe. I can almost see you ROFL but consider an older person, retired medical professional who is super-safety-conscious about everything (wasn't so much 40+ years ago) and just doesn't know whom to ask -- I've read online articles and battery safety articles and vaping safety articles until I'm nearly cross-eyed.... I think the highest I vape is around 14 watts (even with mods that go up to 60) and the other reason, besides safety, is that it seems to burn my coils/juice and taste yukky if I crank it up too much more. I guess some advice would be welcome here. (My coils range from .5 to 2.0 ohms, btw). Anyway, thank you for any help. Also, I'm a MTL vaper with mostly 65% VG juices ranging from 3-12mg nic.
Perhaps things are coming back to the mouth to lung vapors. Couple new tanks out specifically for higher ohm tanks and coils. (Eg. Triton mini) The trition mini will not do subohm vape good. I am pushing 60 years young. Been through the years with mouth to lung before lung hits. I still rely on ohm calculators. I rebuild all stock coils plus rebuildables so it allows me to change stock coils considerably for better vaping experience. CHEERS!

Yours is the first 'negative' review I've heard about the allegedly fabulous TC 100 & Vortex & the SS coils. I was just about at the point of buying yet another Innokin product because of all the rants & raves about this newest setup.... now you have me wondering again. It would be my first TC unit ever and highest wattage device I would own. The reviewers on YT make it sound like it's heavenly with flavor and vapor production. Have you had any luck since your post? Perhaps new coils or the TI or NI coils with better luck? Wow... please update us when you find the time & thanks!
I've tried new SS coils, still horrible for flavor. I need to try the Kanthal clapton coils. The mod itself is pretty awesome, except if you flip the screen orientation, up and down get reversed in the mode selection menu (only a problem if, like me, you can't actually see the screen). I've been using it with my Crown, which works well.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Huh. Now I'm left in quandary. I was planning on getting the Coolfire 4 75W with the replaceable 18650 battery (no more non-replaceable battery mods for me), and figured I would just go with the iSub 5 vortex it comes with in the kit and pick up some 2 ohm coils for it. I'm definitely a tootler and happy with my Triton mini on a Pico and my Plato. But if I want to use TC on either the Plato or my Pico with the Triton on it, and stick with stock coils, I'm limited to the Ni coils from Aspire. But with the Coolfire/iSub setup I could also use their SS stock coil.

Why is it all these decisions become so challenging? If it weren't for the damn Deeming regulations, I would be far more relaxed about this stuff, but now feel a single wrong decision could ruin me down the road (OK, I know, too dramatic, but I do feel like I need to rush my purchases before the last lifeboat is launched)?

And yes, for the long haul I will be building my own with RTAs, but I don't mind stocking up on lots of factory coils for the vapocalypse. So, opinions, guidance, and reassurance please......

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
Huh. Now I'm left in quandary. I was planning on getting the Coolfire 4 75W with the replaceable 18650 battery (no more non-replaceable battery mods for me), and figured I would just go with the iSub 5 vortex it comes with in the kit and pick up some 2 ohm coils for it. I'm definitely a tootler and happy with my Triton mini on a Pico and my Plato. But if I want to use TC on either the Plato or my Pico with the Triton on it, and stick with stock coils, I'm limited to the Ni coils from Aspire. But with the Coolfire/iSub setup I could also use their SS stock coil.

Why is it all these decisions become so challenging? If it weren't for the damn Deeming regulations, I would be far more relaxed about this stuff, but now feel a single wrong decision could ruin me down the road (OK, I know, too dramatic, but I do feel like I need to rush my purchases before the last lifeboat is launched)?

And yes, for the long haul I will be building my own with RTAs, but I don't mind stocking up on lots of factory coils for the vapocalypse. So, opinions, guidance, and reassurance please......

Eskie, the deeming (damning) regs have us all in a tizzy - scrambling to stock up for the Vapocalypse, but just breathe, ask questions & buy as much as you can. My decision to get my first battery mod (the CF 4 - 18650 mod) took me awhile, as well as what should be simple (choosing a battery & charger) becoming a two day study fest & forum query.

They all arrived yesterday (highly recommend Randy at RTDVapor) and I am charging my first 18650s as we speak. I got my 75W CF4 at AspenValleyVapes (saves $10 if you join the peak program - well $5 technically, if you only do it for the mod, but you also save on everything they sell so it balances out)

You are far wiser & smarter than me - building your own RTAs - that way you will never run out of coils. I guess if we get blocked from buying coils, I will just have to give it up because I refuse to ever support Big Tobacco again.

As soon as AspenValley gets the iSub Vs in - I plan to buy that atomizer & stock up on SS coils (so I can use TC or Watts without switching coils) and use my Cerotanks on it in wattage mode. I'll update on this mod once the batteries are charged. :)

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
......................As soon as AspenValley gets the iSub Vs in - I plan to buy that atomizer & stock up on SS coils (so I can use TC or Watts without switching coils) and use my Cerotanks on it in wattage mode. I'll update on this mod once the batteries are charged. :)

Oh, I have a Cero V2 arriving on Friday as well. I was a little bummed to find out the Cero uses Aspire BVC coils but not the Aspire Nautilus BVC coil, as I was hoping to consolidate my stock coil collection. I guess I'll end up with the Sub V on the CF as the price is a bit better as a kit. And like you, use SS coils on the CF for now.

I figure I'm covering my bases pretty for now. I started out with the vape pen/clearos, and still have several around. The Plato is my go to walk around. The Pico is also great for that, but limited to 22 mm tanks. With the CF in the collection, I can use larger diameter tanks as well. Maybe one more Pico for backup as I really like it, and it's very affordable, so I should be set for a while.

Now to decide on an RTA........................

Pigeon Johm

Jun 22, 2016
Hmm. I was actually keen on buying the Innokin Coolfire 4 TC100w with the iSub Vortex tank as a first bit of vaping kit. There seems to be a lot of horror stories about this mod and tank all over the web. Now I'm thinking perhaps I'd be better off with something else. I always do a bit of research before buying anything and after all those obvious sellouts on YouTube gave this kit a glowing review I thought this could be the kit for me. Luckily I'm not fooled so easily and looked for some real customer reviews. Lots and lots of people on Amazon returning the kit for poor battery life, glitchy and randomly changing vaping modes, damaged tanks, sticky buttons etc. There's even a bit of a war of words going on over at Innokins Reddit page with loads of people reporting issues of battery life and many other issues. It's a bit poor from Innokin that they refuse to do anything about it really. I think in one of the Reddit posts Innokin admit to having issues with the TC100w but where's the solution exactly?? Beats me. I think I'll wait for something else to come along. Innokin just doesn't seem to be a good enough manufacturer and their customer relations and service seems extremely poor.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
Pigeon John, I went ahead and bought the TC 75W with 18650 battery because I wanted a battery mod, so it's my first one. So far, I'm pleased with it (using my Cerotank Mega on it until I could buy the iSub V tank). After getting the vortex tank and SS316 coils so I could finally try out Temp Control (which was also new to me) I was a little dismayed with the instruction booklet & found out on my own that the silly thing didn't 'behave' like my other CF IV 40W mods behaved. When I went to change the temperature like I always did with my regular CFs - it changed the coil and if I hadn't noticed, it could've been pretty serious (firing SS in Ni mode) from what I've studied online.

So, using some trial & error methods, I finally figured out how to raise & lower the temp... then I noticed my hand was covered with liquid after I had adjusted the airflow on the Vortex tank... dammit (I said to myself) and I tightened it back up - so it's a beeyatchay to adjust airflow without loosening the tank's connection when you have larger fingers than most ladies. All in all, I like the vortex better than my isub pc (it's a crappy tank IMHO) but I put the Cerotank back on the mod and am using it in Wattage Mode.

So, basically, I have a mod that's almost as heavy as my MVP 3.0 Pro that is working the same as my 40W CF 4s but at least I can change the battery. FWIW I hope this helps someone make a choice & thanks for letting me know that I did make a good decision not to buy the TC100 even with all its "glowing reviews" on YT. :rolleyes:

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
... I think the highest I vape is around 14 watts (even with mods that go up to 60) and the other reason, besides safety, is that it seems to burn my coils/juice and taste yukky if I crank it up too much more. I guess some advice would be welcome here. (My coils range from .5 to 2.0 ohms, btw)...

If you only wanna vape at around 14 watts, you really don't need a 60 watt mod. You're not actually using it. I'd say the primary purpose of any mod over 50w is to fire sub-ohm coils and not many sub-ohm coils operate well at 14 watts. There are some exceptions I've seen like the coils under the low wattage section of this page.. TFV4 Big Family - SMOK® Being with you for all great vaping time!

The coils will have their wattage range on them. For instance, the 0.5ohm SS iSub V coils are rated 30-60w, so vaping at a wattage out of that range won't have good results. Vape it well below 30w and the flavor and vapor will be muted and probably flood the coil because it can't vaporize the amount of juice it's designed to. Vape it well over 60w and it'll taste burnt, dry, and just suck all around probably.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
If you only wanna vape at around 14 watts, you really don't need a 60 watt mod. You're not actually using it. I'd say the primary purpose of any mod over 50w is to fire sub-ohm coils and not many sub-ohm coils operate well at 14 watts. There are some exceptions I've seen like the coils under the low wattage section of this page.. TFV4 Big Family - SMOK® Being with you for all great vaping time!

The coils will have their wattage range on them. For instance, the 0.5ohm SS iSub V coils are rated 30-60w, so vaping at a wattage out of that range won't have good results. Vape it well below 30w and the flavor and vapor will be muted and probably flood the coil because it can't vaporize the amount of juice it's designed to. Vape it well over 60w and it'll taste burnt, dry, and just suck all around probably.

Thanks, m1ke, I really appreciate your input. I'm always asking myself why people vape at such high wattages. You have answered one of my questions by stating that the coils flood when I tried to vape my sub-ohm (below .5) coils at too low of wattage. No wonder they gurgled & spit at me. That is partly the fault of the mfgr. (or sellers) for not explaining stuff like that either on the sales page or in literature. It isn't something that an ordinary person would just 'know' and now that I've learned more about vaping, it makes total sense. Anyway, your info is much appreciated! TY again! :)

Reactions: m1ke

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
I bought 5 of the 2.0 ohm coils, tried one and hated it.
Very little flavor, even less vapor.
I love the .50 kanthal coils.

To each his own I guess:)
I got a couple 2 ohm BVCs. This tank just doesn't wanna operate for mouth to lung. Straight lung hits produce more flavor and vapor with the 2 ohm coils, but the draw is too tight. Overall, I expected more from them, but that's my fault.

I can see why the tank comes with 0.5 SS coils. They produce excellent vapor for me around 40 watts - consistent flavor and lots of vapor.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA

How many watts were you pumping into the 0.5 SS coils?

eLicky

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2016
Sydney - Australia
I have this tank and don't rate it very highly. I haven't had any leaks but there's something about the tank which makes your mouth extremely dry after a few draws. Its a nice looking tank, the lid is quite thin so will bend easily, the airflow is quite tight for a sub-ohm tank.

I have run a few bottles of different flavour / ratio juice through it and different coils, but its like you've licked a cotton ball after 3-4 draws and makes you feel really dehydrated for some reason. Bit of a piece of junk really when you compare to some of the competition...

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Mississippi Just Outside Of NOLA
I got a couple 2 ohm BVCs. This tank just doesn't wanna operate for mouth to lung. Straight lung hits produce more flavor and vapor with the 2 ohm coils, but the draw is too tight. Overall, I expected more from them, but that's my fault.

I can see why the tank comes with 0.5 SS coils. They produce excellent vapor for me around 40 watts - consistent flavor and lots of vapor.

I don't think they are designed for MTL. You could try the higher ohm coils maybe. I believe they sell a 2.0 ohm coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread