ITaste VTR battery question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
You "can" use a protected NCR/INR in a regulated mod, as long as it is accepting it without error codes or what not.
It's not the ideal battery to use for your mod's optimal performance.
Once you use low resistance atomizers or higher voltages
which will begin to pull more amps from your battery,
performance could become impaired or the battery might complain
by becoming overheated.
Protected batteries don't have the "high drain" load current capability that an IMR will have.

in the past trying to read and put all this reg/unreg/protectected straight in my mind

I compared this to (2) anti-virus's installed on the same computer ;

can be done, but will continuously fight for control resulting in poorer performance

RatInDaHat

Peace, I'm outta here
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Right, but on a VV device, do I know what voltage to use in the Ohm's law equation? It seems like I don't. Do I use the battery voltage or the "set" voltage?

If I have a Panasonic with a max discharge rate of 6.8 amps, I guess I can safely use it at 6 volts with a 1 ohm resistor, correct? (Ohm's law tells me its a 6 amp draw). But this doesn't make sense - if the battery is low on charge (say 3.4 volts), on a 1 ohm resistor, Ohms law tells me I am only drawing 3.4 amps. It seems to me that I don't have sufficient information to apply Ohm's law.

to simplify this, look at it in terms of power. P=IV

so if we neglect losses in the circuitry(which is not realistic, but it is simple), we set P1 = P2. lets say we look at your 1ohm, 6volts example.

I=V/R=6Volts/1Ohm=6Amps
P1=6Amps*6Volts=36Watts
now to do the same thing at 3 volts, P2=36Watts=XAmps*3Volts ==> X=12Amps

So as a quick method of looking at this, if P1=P2, I1 * V1=I2 * V2
I=V/R, so plug that into one side. (V1^2)*R1=I2*V2 ==> (V1^2)*R1/V2=I2 or P1/V2=I2(if you know the watt goal you are aiming for)

not sure if that is clear or if it helps you explain any of it. for ex-military electronics people, replace V with E

Bigfro23

Verified Member
Quick question... New to the whole Replace-able battery aspect and I get the whole battery sizes/protected-non protected thing but there's a deal for 2x Samsung ICR18650-28A which are 4.2 volt batteries for 13$!!! My question is will these work in the VTR, and will they have any type of adverse affects since there not rated @ 3.7 volts??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Quick question... New to the whole Replace-able battery aspect and I get the whole battery sizes/protected-non protected thing but there's a deal for 2x Samsung ICR18650-28A which are 4.2 volt batteries for 13$!!! My question is will these work in the VTR, and will they have any type of adverse affects since there not rated @ 3.7 volts??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
All 3.7 volt batteries fully charge up to 4.2 volts. Around 3.4v - 3.5v they will become ineffective in your device and require recharging.

These should work and fit in the VTR. Some of the higher mAh batteries (above 2200 mAh) are slightly larger in width or length, and may not fit in the VTR. It's becoming more and more well known that the VTR has a low tolerance to certain 18650 battery dimensions.

There's been reports that the Efest 18650 IMR 2000 mAh fits fine, but the Efest 18650 IMR 2250 mAh does not.

Last edited:

CBCstillmatic

Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
United States
I haven't used the efest 2250 but I have used the gray Panasonic 2250 batteries in my vtr and I thought I read somewhere the efest 2250 are the Panasonic ones re wrapped?

On a side note I switched to aw batteries ordered from rtd and even though it's only 2000 mah I seam to get a better vape and battery life out of it than the Panasonics for some reason. I'm now a firm believer in all I read about aw being the best batteries.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MattyRetro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Acton, Maine, United States
There's been reports that the Efest 18650 IMR 2000 mAh fits fine, but the Efest 18650 IMR 2250 mAh does not.

I seriously hope this is not the case. I just ordered two Efest 18650 IMR 2250mah cells for my VTR.

I have already returned three different batteries because I bought before doing some research. Who would have thought that you "don't" want protected batteries!

CBCstillmatic

Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
United States
So, the aw's 18650 work well in the VTR? Im currenty waiting for my online go to shop to restock the V2 fixed ring.

Yes for me they work great and better than the gray Panasonics I have. For me my xtar vp1 charges the aw's faster and they seam to give me better performance and last longer before the vtr light turns yellow. I got 2 of the 2000 mah aw's and still use the Panasonics when both aw's need to be charged. Now I'm only speaking by my experience but for me I'm only ordering aw's from now on personally.

Last edited:

CBCstillmatic

Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
United States
I gotta throw another recommendation in from another thread for vamo recommended batteries. The Panasonic NCR18650PF which is a 10 A limit like the 2000 mah aw but is 2900 mah. Knowing aw's are re wrapped Panasonics and the 2000 mah aw's are actually hybrids as well(I was told they are the gray Panasonics re wrapped) it was brought to my attention these new Panasonics should be everything good about the aw's with higher capacity. Might be worth a look, I just ordered 2 from rtd to give a shot.

I swore the aw's performed better than my gray Panasonics but must of been my mind playing tricks on me after being told aw's are the best. Guess they can't really be that different if they are supposed to basically be the same battery, or maybe that's where aw's thorough testing comes into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread