It's KILLING Me!!! Diabetic / Blood Sugar , I need sweetner free liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoGood

May 8, 2009
Ohio,USA
The one thing all diabetic's will hear from their doctor is that their sugar is getting worse!
Yep it seems all the liquids for our e-cigs contain sugar.
I asked around and this seems to be the case with all liquids, for some reason the makers haven't taken us into account.

I'm not sure about you but I would rather take my chances with cigarettes then to cut my life short with diabeties.
I take the pills right now but the doctor is talking about putting me on insulin because my sugar is getting to high.
What was 150 and lower is now in the 200's and 300's so I will put away all my stuff ( what a huge waste $$$ ) I have a lot of it, kits and juice, pipes and e-cigs and I have dug my cigs out of the closet and am once again smoking.
Cancer may never happen but diabeties can kill you for sure.

It's killing me.
I've spent over $2,000 maybe over $3,000 so far stocking up so I would have supplies when or if they ban these things.
Well I did outfit 5 of my relatives and their partners with e-cigs and liquids and they love them as well.
I love these things so I have 4 pipes, two lady pipes, 8 DSE801's , 10 DSE901's and various parts and liquids and 3 401's and an E8 and EM9 kit.
There's just to much to list and I can't use it because of sweetner's.

Any Help would be great.
Yeah I know this will probably not help posting here but I have to try.
HELP???
:mad:

usamare

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Wadsworth
PG and VG are technically alcohol, but a good laymen term for both would be sugar-water.

As much as I would like to be wrong on this, I don't think anything else will work very well.
You might try cutting the crap out of your e-juice with water, but there will probably always be sugar in it.

My plan for dealing with the loss of e-cigs is to switch to herbal vaporizers. So far the best combo (convenience + effectiveness) has been pipe tobacco in an Iolite portable vaporizer. It's definately NOT as good as an e-cig (taste OR convenience), but it gets the job done without smoke. On the plus side, you get a LOT more mileage from vaporizing tobacco than smoking it, so the cost of vaporizers is a very justifiable investment.

usamare

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Wadsworth
Herbal vaporizers heat herbs (such as tobacco) enough to essentially 'boil' the moisture out of them without burning anything.
Most herbal vaporizers are rather large 'plug into the wall' affairs. Some of them are portable, but the batteries don't last very long. The Iolite runs on butane instead of batteries. It does NOT have adjustable temperature, which sucks, but it runs at a near-perfect temperature for a moist tobacco.

I don't have any other herbal vaporizers, so I cannot comment on which is the best.

Frogbmth made a usage guide http://freepdfhost.com/projects_new/311/3212/iolitev2.pdf
I can't say I agree with his opinion on some things (I hate e-juice out of the Iolite), but it's pretty good info and if you can't use an e-cig for whatever reason, it's something to take a serious look at.

usamare

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Wadsworth
I would say, if used correctly, the hookah vaporizes rather than burns, so yes, however; the amazing tasting shisha tobaccos have ingredients that look like e-juice. -honey, VG, tobacco, artificial flavors...sort of like that.

That being said, hookahs are inexpensive, and you could probably feed it whatever you want. Another budget conscious vape would be Vapor Genie. It's basically a pipe with an attachment on the top that keeps the flame of your lighter from contacting the herbs in the pipe. So the user holds the lighter to the end for a while and the thing starts vaporizing stuff.

usamare

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Wadsworth
I was trying to convey that the device itself might work, but that the typical tobacco that it uses is not appropriate for the OP.

The important point is that even without e-cigs, there are some solid vaping options that should be explored before going back to smoking.

Come to think of it, since the FDA recently set up a complaint hotline for e-cigs, I anticipate we will all be needing some alternatives very soon.

Be Safe!

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
I find the origional post on this thread very interesting and I must admit to being quite skeptical about the legitimacy.

Why?

Because I'm hypoglycemic (sp?)... the opposite of diabetic for those who don't know. I vape like a freight train and I still get low blood sugar at the same intervals that I always did before. (I have a bad habit of forgetting to eat) if anything I've been having MORE cases of low blood sugar than I did on analogs since with vaping I eat even less than I did before.

I'm not trying to call the OP a lier, but if vaping has made their blood sugar sky rocket like they say then wouldn't logic stand to suggest that it would, at the very least, bring mine closer to level??

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I do not pretend to understand anything about this at all, just asking a simple question: why would inhalation of vapor have anything at all to do with metabolizing glucose? Do we get calories/carbs from vaping? Don't you have to ingest calories/carbs to have an impact on your blood glucose levels? Are we all going to chub up because we're vaping glycerin? Yikes!

Hangtime

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2009
Hate to break the news, if your diabetic you shouldn't smoke period. Sorry but its just the way it is. If you think cancer is the only ill effect of smoking, your wrong about that too. E-cigs aren't the way to go for everyone, unfortunately. It is a shame you spent so much $$ on them but you really should think twice about going back to the analogs. I do feel for you though, diabetes is a tough disease, I have lost one friend to it and have another on dialysis 2 times a week. Good luck with your battle.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Nope, I don't think it's your liquid or E-cigs. I think your blood sugar is out of control..not blaming you! I am saying that once it starts to spiral out of control you could eat cardboard and still see a rise in your testing. That is what happened to me. Your body stops being able to metabolize sugars of all kinds, fruit, starches, sugar in any form, breads of any kind, on and on. And since everything ends up as sugar in one form or another simple or complex..you are going to continue to have high readings.

I fought the insulin too..in fact I freaked out! You can go to Wrecked and Bonkers to see how the kind people here helped me cope. I am so afraid of needles that I get very sick at the thought of one..these don't faze me since I am sticking me..not some bored tech who isn't paying attention.

I test 2 to 4 times a day and have seen NO RISE IN MY BLOOD SUGAR since vaping. I vape like a fool too! I use 0 nic to 11mg Nic. I make my own liquids too using Bickfords and Lorann some with added nic some without. No difference from the ones from my supplier. I use P.G. with glycerin added.
We vape the p.g., v.g. and glycerin, we don't drink it, you are not getting enough in your system to hurt you..that slice of bread gives you more sugar! Look up P.G. in wiki, they will tell you it will not raise blood sugar..I checked! The flavorings are not made with sugar, yes it does turn into sugar in your system, but so does everything else, it's how we are made.

For further proof I saw my Dr. and gave her my readings from the last 2 months. She was amazed. She asked if I was following a diet plan..I said sure, close mouth when full, no sugar and less salt and fat (I also have high B.P.) But I lied, I sneak a bit of sugar once in a while..I was a baker! I am losing weight.

I went from 200 and 300 readings to staying within the 70 to 150 bracket. Of course you shoot up to 180 at times after dinner, but it goes down.

Please go see the Dr., Tell her/him that you are vaping if you want, I tried but she wasn't paying attention..she was freaking out over my numbers. The proof is in the numbers, later when you start coming down..then break the news you aren't smoking but vaping!
The needle is tiny and thin,(more like a tiny tack then a needle, so is the testing needle) it's not fun but it's not as horrible as I thought. They will start you out with a low dose once a day and see how it goes. Take your meds, try to limit any cheating on sugar and keep a record of your readings. P.M. me any time!! I feel 100% better now, the insulin does for me what my body wouldn't. I was dying with lab tests that had readings of 500 and higher. My newest blood tests will be back soon, I am betting I am at 180 or lower..normal!

One good thing about going on Insulin is that my eyes were getting blurry before I started it and then they really got bad after I started! The optometrist said I needed bifocals. 1 month after starting insulin I am back to wearing readers for typing and small work, but that's normal for 58.

The good thing about vaping is that I don't snack at night which is really bad for a diabetic! I vape chocolate and fruit with some RY4 as a nightcap. This way I get to snack (vape) on my walks.

Smoking will make you worse then you are now as the chemicals will break down your ability to process sugar more then it already is. It also messes with your circulation. Diabetics are always in danger of losing toes or the whole leg to poor circulation, I walk and do leg exercises to keep the blood pumping to my arms and legs. I had a sonagram done on my heart and legs today..all good!
Good Luck to you, My thoughts and Prayers are with you.

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Mary Kay, You said it best, you have to do what you must do, but everyone is right, diabetes is a beast. Seems the more you try to keep under control the sun shines from the wrong angle and up (or down) everything goes. And your great outlook shouldn't be swayed, but if it helps at all let it rip, we can throw some punches and we'll be ok again. Your stress level right now of course has nothing to do with anything!! Wish I could help, I cannot. I've had some experience with XX's, you know, but that doesn't qualify me for anything helpful. If I know you you've already looked for what's out there, I always think about those little kids, but think about a cure! I will keep watch in my "looking for something, find something else" tours. Just today I found something I posted it somewhere else, will go find it and link it here X
New July 2009
XXKate51 PS: I hope you're aware you're keeping us up all night, again!! Sorry, can't help it.
Hate this! Keep you blood count low... can you sneak a zero vape, now and then, just for old times?

Last edited:

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN

While I don't care for sucralose alone, I've been on Atkins for quite awhile; it's my old standby for feeling and looking good when I slide into sloppy personal habits. It's not much different than a diabetic diet and relieves so many physical complaints.

I use erythritol (a sugar alcohol that does not work like ExLax!) which is synergistic when combined with a microdrop of liquid splenda. Yummy on my cart. I mix it with drops of pure clove oil and "paint" it onto the end of my cartridge. Mmmmm almost like a Djarum. A drop of it mixed with almond extract is also very nice. You can't use oils on your atomizer, but you don't have to mix it with the nic-liq to get good flavor in your vaping.

ProtoType

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2009
New Jersey
You'll cut your life short by smoking as a diabetic. You are already at risk for poor blood circulation. Have you ever seen those commercials of smokers who have limbs amputated? Well .... you're odds are greater. I know and knew people, in their old age, ended up amputating toes due to being a diabetic and smoking.

Don't do it. If need be, vape in moderation.

beatlebandaide

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Ashland, Kentucky
www.myspace.com
why would inhalation of vapor have anything at all to do with metabolizing glucose?

Well... I was reading wikipedia about Nicotine last night, came across the statement below, and thought of this thread.

"The release of epinephrine (adrenaline) causes an increase in heart rate, blood pressure and respiration, as well as higher blood glucose levels"

So we've all probably had some issues with glucose levels due to smoking anyway, however they could have gotten worse with the introduction of the PG/VG.

I'm borderline diabetic as well but take medication to regulate it, so I'm curious as to how this will work out myself. I wouldn't think the change would be so drastic that it would hurt one more than the effects of analogs. (hopefully...)

I'd say we should just go to the doctor if we're having problems with it.

Hope this helped some realize that it's NOT just the PG/VG.

booboo

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
San Diego, CA
I find the origional post on this thread very interesting and I must admit to being quite skeptical about the legitimacy.

Why?

Because I'm hypoglycemic (sp?)... the opposite of diabetic for those who don't know. I vape like a freight train and I still get low blood sugar at the same intervals that I always did before. (I have a bad habit of forgetting to eat) if anything I've been having MORE cases of low blood sugar than I did on analogs since with vaping I eat even less than I did before.

I'm not trying to call the OP a lier, but if vaping has made their blood sugar sky rocket like they say then wouldn't logic stand to suggest that it would, at the very least, bring mine closer to level??

Ummm, I too am hypoglycemic and was experiencing more low blood sugar incidents than before with vaping. Which doesn't mean vaping lowers your blood sugar--the reason for hypoglycemia is your body doesn't know how to handle sugar. The more it gets, or thinks it's getting, the more insulin it makes to counteract it, which lowers your blood sugar.

I went on Atkins 2 months ago and completely cut out sugar (besides vaping and splenda) and it has made a tremedous difference. My blood sugar hasn't been bottoming out at all, no matter how much I vape and I have more energy and feel better. I don't know if this applies to diabetics because I assume you already can't eat sugar. Just saying I agree that vaping does affect blood sugar. I have a diabetic friend who's tried to quit smoking forever, but I don't dare get him on vaping because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread