It's KILLING Me!!! Diabetic / Blood Sugar , I need sweetner free liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVITWeb

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
New Jersey
I am diabetic (Type 2), and vaping has not affected my blood sugar one bit. But then again, I'm not drinking the e-liquid, just vaping it, lol.

While I don't care for sucralose alone, I've been on Atkins for quite awhile; it's my old standby for feeling and looking good when I slide into sloppy personal habits. It's not much different than a diabetic diet and relieves so many physical complaints.

I use erythritol (a sugar alcohol that does not work like ExLax!) which is synergistic when combined with a microdrop of liquid splenda. Yummy on my cart. I mix it with drops of pure clove oil and "paint" it onto the end of my cartridge. Mmmmm almost like a Djarum. A drop of it mixed with almond extract is also very nice. You can't use oils on your atomizer, but you don't have to mix it with the nic-liq to get good flavor in your vaping.

Bizzy...what r you vaping? VG or PG??
Lizinator, Would you mind sharing your secret "mix?" As I was told I was pre-diabetic a few years ago, and I cut out ALOT of sugar! But some times go back for a guilty pleasure...The one thing I am noticing come back are my PVCs since vaping for the last week (Premature Ventricular Contractions) but I do not know if it is from stress (MUCH of that going on right now) or my sugar levels...It would be great if I could cut some of it out or figure out just how much VG raises blood sugar when vaping.
As you can see from my little banner there, i am on a roll without have ANY analogs since two weeks ago this coming monday and I have no intention of going back!

Thanks!

booboo

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes, I tried Stevia--have a bunch I intend to try baking with. I don't have any experience related to diabetes with it. Just was going to switch to it instead of splenda, but it has a little "bitter" aftertaste to it I'm not sure I like and it made me a little nauseous after I put it in tea. You'd also have to use way less compared to sugar--which is why I haven't cooked with it yet......scared!

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Lizinator, Would you mind sharing your secret "mix?" As I was told I was pre-diabetic a few years ago, and I cut out ALOT of sugar! But some times go back for a guilty pleasure...The one thing I am noticing come back are my PVCs since vaping for the last week (Premature Ventricular Contractions) but I do not know if it is from stress (MUCH of that going on right now) or my sugar levels...It would be great if I could cut some of it out or figure out just how much VG raises blood sugar when vaping.
As you can see from my little banner there, i am on a roll without have ANY analogs since two weeks ago this coming monday and I have no intention of going back!

Thanks!

When sweetening the oils to use on my carts, I just use a single drop of liquid sucralose (I use EZ Sweetz, available many places online). I make up a tiny vial of clove oil drops (about 6 drops or so), then drop a single drop of liquid sucralose and mix it up with a plastic toothpick. Not to bore you w/details, but I use a small plastic vial that came with a temporary dental filling kit because it has an air-tight/waterproof cap that keeps my oil & sucralose from evaporating. Again, I "paint" this either on the outside end of my cart (around the tiny hole) or take a tiny watercolor brush and paint the inside "ceiling" of the cart. I try not to get the oil on the sides of the cart to prevent it leaching into my atomizer.

For sweetening foods/drinks, I use erythritol. The powdered is many times better than the granulated (it resists dissolving unless exposed to heat). Netrition online has the best prices, availability, and offer the powder too. Works fine for baking and hot drinks, not so good to sweeten yogurt or cold drinks. I've gotten around this by putting it in microwaved water (tiny amount, just enough to make a concentrated "syrup" to put into something cold). If I use 2 tsps. of erythritol, I add one tiny droplet of liquid sucralose since erythritol is only abt. 70% as sweet as sugar but is synergistic with any other sweetener. I can get the wonderful sweetness of sugar without the aftertaste of the sucralose. I suspect it would work fine on an e-cig cart, I just haven't used it that way mostly because a. I'm lazy and, b. ok with liquid sucralose.

Erythritol has all of the beneficial dental effects of xylitol (prevents tooth decay), does not cause gastrointestinal upset (because it's absorbed 100% in the small intestine, excreted 100% by the kidneys). It has no glycemic impact, offers the textural effects of sugar in baking or cooking, and has no aftertaste. Like xylitol, however, it does have the cooling mouth feel that can be neutralized in baking/cooking with a product called "Not Sugar", also available at Netrition. If you are working toward eliminating sugar from your diet altogether, erythritol can make the sacrifice more tolerable.

AVITWeb

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
New Jersey
When sweetening the oils to use on my carts, I just use a single drop of liquid sucralose (I use EZ Sweetz, available many places online). I make up a tiny vial of clove oil drops (about 6 drops or so), then drop a single drop of liquid sucralose and mix it up with a plastic toothpick. Not to bore you w/details, but I use a small plastic vial that came with a temporary dental filling kit because it has an air-tight/waterproof cap that keeps my oil & sucralose from evaporating. Again, I "paint" this either on the outside end of my cart (around the tiny hole) or take a tiny watercolor brush and paint the inside "ceiling" of the cart. I try not to get the oil on the sides of the cart to prevent it leaching into my atomizer.

For sweetening foods/drinks, I use erythritol. The powdered is many times better than the granulated (it resists dissolving unless exposed to heat). Netrition online has the best prices, availability, and offer the powder too. Works fine for baking and hot drinks, not so good to sweeten yogurt or cold drinks. I've gotten around this by putting it in microwaved water (tiny amount, just enough to make a concentrated "syrup" to put into something cold). If I use 2 tsps. of erythritol, I add one tiny droplet of liquid sucralose since erythritol is only abt. 70% as sweet as sugar but is synergistic with any other sweetener. I can get the wonderful sweetness of sugar without the aftertaste of the sucralose. I suspect it would work fine on an e-cig cart, I just haven't used it that way mostly because a. I'm lazy and, b. ok with liquid sucralose.

Erythritol has all of the beneficial dental effects of xylitol (prevents tooth decay), does not cause gastrointestinal upset (because it's absorbed 100% in the small intestine, excreted 100% by the kidneys). It has no glycemic impact, offers the textural effects of sugar in baking or cooking, and has no aftertaste. Like xylitol, however, it does have the cooling mouth feel that can be neutralized in baking/cooking with a product called "Not Sugar", also available at Netrition. If you are working toward eliminating sugar from your diet altogether, erythritol can make the sacrifice more tolerable.

Thanks for the very specific information! I appreciate it...
I have actually cut sugar out all together before and its not debilitating, but hard to get a substitue without passing noxious fumes through my body and without REAL sugar cravings...
I will definitely be saving this post! It's quite helpful! Thanks again!

bigozone

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2009
Kentucky
let me start this post by saying that i lost my father to diabetes 10yrs and 5 days ago. he developed full-blown type-II diabetes at the age of 22. i can remember when he and mom came home with needles and an orange to practice giving shots. by age 27 he was taking 3 shots a day which continued up until the day he accidentially drowned due to his blood sugar bottoming out while he was working unsupervised in a rural area far from the nearest house.

i hate to drag this thread and my memories back up, but i think it is important for diabetics to be aware that there MAY be POSSIBLE link to vaping and a rise in blood/sugar levels especially in those who have a predispostion to diabetes.

i've been smoking over a pack a day for almost 24 years, and just started vaping. i tried chantix at my doctors recommendation (despite history of depression, anxiety and bi-polar diorder).... that first week was pure HELL, but i stuck with the program for a full month and was successfull in my attempt to quit and was nicotine free for 3 months.... until i experienced an extreme ammount of stress at which point i relapsed and was back to a pack a day within the week.

now after 3 weeks of vaping i've found myself feeling very lethargic, light headed, unable to concentrate, and always thirsty which of course leads to 5 or more trips to the bathroom each night. so i've began to check my blood sugar level 4 times a day and i have noticed an emerging pattern. my blood sugar levels are highest at noon and midnight, but are always higher than they have ever been in the past. i don't know if any of this is due to the VG in my liquids, but i plan to put down the e-cig for a month and find out for myself.

while vaping has resulted in much improvment in my breathing and stamina in just 3 weeks, i'm not sure it's worth trading one habit for another which may be resulting in an eariler onset of diabetes. maybe my dr will have a different take on this, but i'm afraid to go back to chantix w/o inpatient care (which may be what it takes to give up smoking and nicotine).

i'd like to hear more real life experiences from diabetics/pre-diabetics. i'm just searching for info from others who have experience with both vaping and diabetes.

also if anyone has found a nicotine solution that is not cut with VG, PG or any sugars, please feel free to PM me with info. i'm to the point that i could care less about taste. so i'll be smoking for real till i can weening myself off analogs slowly.

sunkissedbeach

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
West Palm Beach Florida

Thanks!

I also suffer from PVC's and once was told this and it made me feel so much better about things.
My cardiologist said " Everyone gets PVC's, the difference with you and them is your heart is so strong that you feel each one".

So there, we all get PVC's but in some people, their heart doesn't beat as strong as others thus they don't feel them.

I had a friend get a check up the other day and the doctor told her she had an abnormal heart rhythm, she never felt it one time.

"...Glycerol, a byproduct of bio-diesel production, serves as a humectant, a solvent, a filler in commercially prepared low-fat baked goods, a thickening agent in liqueurs, and it may help preserve foods. As a sweetener, it has approximately 27 calories per teaspoon and is 60% as sweet as sucrose, but does not raise blood sugar levels, nor does it feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. The EWG rated it as a two, a very low hazard.

Propylene Glycol has its place. The consumer will need to decide if that place is in his food, medicine and cosmetics. At least, it would seem most healthful to read labels and to limit foods and personal care products which contain PG.

Resources:

Final Report of the Safety Assessment of Propylene Glycol and Polypropylene Glycols, Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel"

Propylene Glycol: The Good, the Bad and the Alternatives

Mind you that is a commercial site but they also have the following links:

(EWG Home | Environmental Working Group)

(http://www.inchem.org/documents/pim...)

(http://www.natural-health-informati...)

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
I just got my blood tests back this past week. I have been vaping very heavy since January, quit analogs in April. I smoked 1 1/2 to 2 packs (120's) a day for 34 years. I use VG only, 24-36 mg. around 3+ ml. a day. (I would drink it if I thought it was safe!). My glucose was down 10 pts. since my last test 5 years ago. And my cholesterol was down almost 40 pts!! (which is unbelievable, I have a huge family history of trouble with cholesterol).
I was put on an inhaler for asthma, which stinks. But, I have had issues with breathing for a long time with all the years of smoking and with my allergies. It actually is better since I quit analogs, I just never told anybody. That is why I only use VG. With PG I am really sucking wind, but that's just me.
By the way, when the nurse asked if I smoked I explained the e-cig to her (she had never heard of them). She asked a lot of questions and asked for a demo. She was impressed and I got to vape in the dr. office!! She has a brother-in-law she was going to talk to about e cigs. She wrote me down as a non-smoker. Never thought I'd see that!
My doctor had never heard of e cigs, was interested, but was rushed. She was happy with all my test results, though.

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
I am not in the medical field, nor do I have diabetes but a point to also remember is that the lactic acid break down possible because of the PG- this can be part of it since you can't absorb the sugars properly as you used to- That is sugars in any foods (all food contains some type, even bread, fruit, etc) Lactic acid breaking down, which did enable your body to absorb certain things, can now possibly be keeping you from absorbing properly- causing the sugars to "Lay" in your system-
Just a thought- maybe going to non PG- Vg or using a mix of ... Sry I have no ideas- Ia m too new at this myself- Just the thought on lactic acid breakdown- has a lot to do w/ digestion as well- My husband used to be a dietician so I knew that much- LOL Good Luck!

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
I suppose it is possible that the sugar is an issue but I would not rule out changes to your system from quitting smoking getting you out of whack. Guy at work all of a sudden started to have sugar issues and I was not sure why. He had been on weight watchers for a few weeks and lost some weight. went to the doctor and sure enough, he had to adjust the meds because of the weight loss and new diet.

The body is a fine machine and you don't normally witness the subtleties until you make a change.

Nestran

damunster

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Well, I am really confussed now. Is it PG or VG that can raise your sugar. I am a type 2 diabetic and have been a bad, bad girl. I went to the DR in Jan and was doing great. Sugar lvl down and A1C was around 6. I started vaping in June. Went to the DR last week and my sugar was high and A1C is at 9. Dr was very unhappy (so was I). I have been vaping PG but switched to VG (which I like better anyway). Now I am not sure if PG, VG or that venti Starbucks w/syrup that I have every morning is the problem. I have cut out the Starbucks (and all the bad snacks) and will see how things are in Dec. I enjoy vaping and don't want to go back to smoking. I smoked for over 40 years and I am one of the ones that really enjoyed smoking so I was suprised when vaping helped me to stop analogs.

PaulZ

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
The following I tried to put in simple terms, i'm known to use big fancy science words that even confuse me when I read it back, so i'll do my best to make it easy to understand:
something for the OP to consider....

your body cannot magically add glucose to whatever you're putting into your body.

The amount of “sugar” in PG or VG cannot be higher from inhalation than digestion, as digestion will use ~100% of the glucose that you get from it.

Another wards... the most sugar you can get from smoking 1-2ml of PG or VG is equal to eating that much sugar (1.. maybe 2 grams?) over the entire day, which is nearly nothing.

Nicotine on the other hand, has been shone to drastically affect your insulin levels. 50-60% PER “regular strength” cigarette. The thing is, you can easily excess your nic levels with vaporisers because the “hit” is slower coming than with tobacco smoke. If you have increased your nic levels without meaning to, your insulin (and blood glucose) levels would increase SIGNIFICANTLY. With non-diabetic test subjects, blood sugar levels took 1.5-2 hours to reduce back to normal, which diabetic patients took 5-7 hours. That means if you're smoking more than one cig worth of nic per 5-7 hours, your raising your blood pressure about 50% anyway.

The “sugar” in your cartridges are hardly what i'd be worried about. I say ween off nic and smoke non-nic for a while, and see how that goes. Nonetheless I will run some tests. will do 90% PG 10% water, 90% VG 10% water, and get the results. If nothing is found, I will have my friend who smokes regular cigs (marlboro red 100's) and do the tests on him. For accuracy I will fast for 8 hours before the test to determine FBS (fasting blood sugar) which is most likely what they used to determine if you had diabetes in the first place.

to who posted right before me:

also on the PG vs VG thing - Glycerine has been shone to not affect insulin levels while glycol has. so even if PG does affect things drastically - vaping VG will probably do nothing... you could eat buckets of it (and get fat!) but not gain any in the insulin/blood glucose region ;)

Last edited:

PaulZ

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
so, tested today. i will give detailed results later but here are general findings:

Non-nic PG = minimal raise in BS levels (same as eating 1g of sugar or so.. very minimal.. 5-6% or so after 10 puffs) no increase in Blood pressure

Non-Nic VG = No fluctuation beyond normal occurrences (that happen regularly) after smoking an entire 510 cartridge. no increase in blood pressure

1 Regular Marlboro red on a current 2-pack a day smoker (not me) = 52% increase in BG levels and 35% increase in blood pressure immediately took approx 2 hours to return to normal levels on both.

16mg nic 50% pg/VG based solution in a 510 on the "pack a day" smoker after his levels returned to normal = a 59% increase in BG levels (though slower coming than with an analogue) and 43% increase in Blood Pressure.
took approx 3 hours to return to normal levels on both.

While this is hardly a conclusive test, the general idea is shown: nicotine is what will kill you, analogues will kill you even worse.. as a diabetic.

i say, smoke some non-nic and see how it goes for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread