It's KILLING Me!!! Diabetic / Blood Sugar , I need sweetner free liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I posted in this thread a while back. I vape 11mg to 0nic liquid and have had no increase in my sugar testing from vaping. None. I vape most at night while on the computer and I test at 11pm, I am under 150 every night. This has been my normal pattern for almost 6 months. If I was doing something wrong, my 2 or 3 testing a day would show it. The only changes are when I "cheat" with my food intake. My Dr. is thrilled. I am happy she's happy and off my back! My B.P. which has been very high..is now in the low normal range.
I don't know about Nic being so bad for you as a diabetic but since I do vape low amounts I am not worried.
I meant to add that I vape P.G. with about 10 drops of glycerin per 10ml's. I have even tried Glycerin thinned down with distilled water and Lorann's..no difference in blood sugar.
Check Wiki for P.G. and V.G...it states that it will not raise blood sugar.
I am on Insulin and am a type II diabetic.

Last edited:

punkman

Sep 22, 2009
I am not diabetic but looking at the numbers it would seem to me that the average vaper would not experience much of a problem with the sugar content of the juice. If the juice where 100% sugar which of course it is not the amount consumed per day would be less than a tablespoon. Even at 1/10 concentration which again I doubt the total intake would be less than 1/10th of a teaspoon. 1 tsp is 5 ml and on a heavy vape day I may go through
3 ml of juice so even assuming a 10% concentration I doubt the total sugar dose to be more than a few grams per day.

Valkerie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2009
Lincoln Park, NJ
I had elevated blood sugar levels before I started vaping. It's gone down 70 points with medication, exercise and a better diet.

ALL of my doctors know I smoke an e-cig and not one of them has ever said anything.

If you want to do a proper test, stop vaping for the 12 hours that you're supposed to be fasting before your doctor does a blood test.

Unfortunately, some people just have high blood sugar levels.

Last edited:

Kempton

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Canada
The only thing that raises my blood sugar is a few wobbly pops before supper (well maybe more than a few), or if I eat food groups from the MAD or SAD diet (Modern or Standard American Diet). If you change your eating habits to a more vegan or absolutely vegan your blood sugar should really improve. Best strategy yet for me has been the 30 Diabetes Miracle and the 30 Day Diabetes Miracle Cookbook. I dropped 30 lbs in a couple of months, normal blood sugars and my doctor says she thought I had Type II but everything is normal now. The food is good and gives you more energy plus lowers BS levels substantialy. Books are not expensive at amazon.com :)

To anybody it may concern...

I'm a diabetic also (type 2). I chain drip vape. I use a Smoking Everywhere gold PV and a ePuffer super mini. The E-liquids I'm using right now are from ePuffer. Vanilla and Menthol, both are High dose. I've been vaping since July 1, 2008. So far, so good, vaping does not affect my sugar levels.

As far as I understand, PG does not raise blood sugar levels at any significant amount, especially not by vaping it. You would have to ingest it in large amounts for that to happen. Remember, PG is in food additives, drugs, cosmetics, and antibacterial sanitizers (just to name a few).

Have you ever stood in a room with a fog machine producing very thick smoke? Some of them use PG as the fog solution. Where do you think the E-cig idea came from? An e-cig is a minature fog machine.

There might be some e-liquids out there using sweeteners in the delicious flavors, chocolate, cherry, banana, apple, and the like. And, if you get it on your lips and tongue, then of course it's going to affect blood sugar because you are directly consuming it. But it still shouldn't be causing a drastic change... unless you're drinking the frickin' stuff, or maybe your insulin levels are super whacked.

Also, right after you quit smoking analogs and the carbon monoxide associated with it, your body goes through a chemical rebalancing stage. And I might add that's when I was diagnosed with diabetes with blood sugar levels nearing 300, and I wasn't vaping then. - By the way, it's the carbon monoxide in analogs which cause blood sugar levels to rise. Smoking plus diabetes will kill you for sure... no lie. - Vaping on the other hand is inhaling mostly water vapor. What's in water? Oxygen of course. How do you separate it? By using an electrical current, or by heating it up and allowing it to vaporize into a gas. - Come on Mr. FDA, this is a no brainer. E-cigs are a better alternative! Them and their stupid scare tactics... hummph... I feel like slapping those jerks around a few times myself.

So anyway, something else is causing your blood sugar levels to get jacked. Have you switched to Splenda? It has sugar alcohol in it, which is not good for some diabetics. Large amounts of it in tea is not a good idea... just a FYI there.

Another thing to consider is your diabetic advancement may have occurred during the same time of vaping as a coincidence. It's something we diabetics have to live with. You can slow it's progression, and in some cases bring it to a halt, but you still can't cure it.

Also, I don't know a diabetic yet that doesn't cheat on their diet every once in a while. And some diabetics are STILL eating things they shouldn't, but they do it because they don't know it's hurting them, or they think the meds can "protect" them, which is bull. The diet change (and exercise) is part of the treatment combined with the meds. I can't seem to get my mother to understand that one either. I have to be nearly a vegetarian to control my diabetes, and something with less than 1 g of sugar in it will jack up my level 20 mg/dL in 1.5 hours. So here again, I know vaping doesn't have an affect with that much sensitivity.

Suggestions...

Rethink your diet. Go take diabetes classes. Hospitals and medical arts centers usually have a diabetes counselor who offer free courses in better diabetic control and monitoring. Even if you think you already know your diabetic condition, take the classes anyway. At least learn about the Diabetic Food Pyramid which has 6 food groups.

Exercise, exercise, exercise.... Oh, did I mention Exercise? I hate that word too, but something as simple as a 20 minute fast walk every day can stimulate the natural healing power of the body a great deal.

Also, learn how to vape correctly. If you get the juice directly into your mouth, then you're doing it wrong. Slow and long drags are the key, and don't tilt the device where you have to suck down, always suck upwards... but those are the basics and every vaper should know that by now.

One other note... If you have quit BOTH vaping and cigarettes, or any other tobacco product, then that's awesome. More power to ya! The healthier, the better. To be perfectly honest, nobody should be using nicotine in any form, especially diabetics, heart patients, and people with other cardiovascular disorders. But, if you're severely nicotine dependent and choose to continue using nicotine, then I would have to say that e-cigs are the best route to take.

Anywho... that's just my 2 cents worth... Have a nice day.

mergryphon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I do not pretend to understand anything about this at all, just asking a simple question: why would inhalation of vapor have anything at all to do with metabolizing glucose? Do we get calories/carbs from vaping? Don't you have to ingest calories/carbs to have an impact on your blood glucose levels? Are we all going to chub up because we're vaping glycerin? Yikes!

That was my question, is sugar absorbed through the lungs?

Last edited:

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I got a diabetic friend who I wish would start vaping. It certainly would be better than her smoking a pack or more a day.
The worst part is she just went in and had the veins in her legs (yes, both) roto routed and stints put in. Doctor told her to quit because there was nothing more they could do if it got bad again.

c3902

Nov 21, 2009
PG breaks down into lactic acid, lactic acid reduces the effectiveness of Metformin. So if you're taking Metformin you NEED to pay really close attention to your sugar levels when vaping PG.

As far as I understand, PG does not raise blood sugar levels at any significant amount, especially not by vaping it.

Every one has different reactions and different tolerances to chemicals. If that wasn't true we'd have a universal medication and dosage to control sugar levels.

To anyone else who may be interested in this stuff, just Google PG and lactic acid, metabolic pathway of lactic acid and Gluconeogenesis.

PG breaks down into lactic acid, lactic acid reduces the effectiveness of Metformin. So if you're taking Metformin you NEED to pay really close attention to your sugar levels when vaping PG.

Every one has different reactions and different tolerances to chemicals. If that wasn't true we'd have a universal medication and dosage to control sugar levels.

To anyone else who may be interested in this stuff, just Google PG and lactic acid, metabolic pathway of lactic acid and Gluconeogenesis.

I see what you're saying. You're talking about chemical reactions associated with it's use. Roger that... I thought you meant some kind of alien metabolism began in the lungs... LOL... silly me.

I take metformin (1,000 mg / day) and glimepiride (4 mg / day). I check my blood sugar 4 to 5 times every day. So far, so good.

No concerns for lactic acidosis here either. Plus the PG/VG water vapor is oxygen rich, so that's good.

--- additional thoughts ---

Just some precautionary measures for anybody, especially for diabetics. Be careful with the juice, try not to get in on your skin, lips, or tongue. Use tools to help refill cartridges, like tweezers, pins, and paperclips. It's not a good idea to just drop the juice straight into the cartridge, because it can cause them to leak straight into your mouth when you take a draw. Always raise the inner cartridge so you can see what you're doing. Drip vaping might be a little easier for some people, but it takes a steady hand to drip the juice on the petruding steeples. Some atomizers have a sunken steeple in a barrel, those are easier to drip on.

Also, don't smoke and vape at the same time, nor in the same day. That just defeats the whole purpose... Unless you have a death wish. I'm sure you've heard of nicotine poisoning.

If for any reason you feel that vaping is causing you some undesired side effects, then I would encourage you to stop using nicotine all together and see how well your conditions improve. There are so many variables at play it's hard to tell what is what. Run your own experiments and make logs of your blood pressure and glucose levels. Do a before and after test... anything... do something to help yourself. If you can't vape, then your only choice is to stop using nicotine.

... And please don't go back to smoking analogs. I'd rather see a b*tchy attitude from not having any nicotine, than to see someone overkillling themselves with analogs. You're smoking PG in analogs, along with DEG too. PG is used to keep the tobacco from getting too dry. DEG is used in the glue adhesive to bond the filters and paper together. Add to that fire ......ants and accelerants, carbon monoxide, and 4,000+ other chemical additives. Suddenly you wonder why the FDA is so concerned about e-cigs. It's certainly not about your health, that's for sure.

Batta0909

Nov 29, 2009
<---type 1 dibetic for 8 years

I also vape like a frate train, and have no difference in blood sugar. I also smoke a hookah every once in a while and have never seen a change from that either. Im not saying this post is a lie, but i would recommend making sure this is actually the cause. Ive never seen any proof from my own body, or any other reliable source that says smoking or vaping sugary liquids have the same effect on blood sugar as eating, if any at all.

If anything these posts should make you question this, and see for yourself on your own body. Everyones bodys different, find out what yours does.:thumbs:

Socalvapster

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Rosemead, California
I'm type II diabetic and I've been noticing my bs been up since vaping. I just restarted to test my bs several times a day now after getting a bad review from my doc on my last visit. My A1C was at 8.8 and I had a little protein in my kidneys. He prescribed a blood pressure med to protect my kidneys. I have insomnia so I go to sleep between 4-5 am. No snacking just vaping last night and early morning. Before I went to sleep my bs was 165 at 5:32am so I took a 5 mg of Glyburide and 500mg of Metformin. When I got up today I tested at 11:39 am with a bs count of 146. I took one 5mg Glyburide and 500mg of Metformin which usually brings my bs down and low if I haven't had anything to eat which I haven't yet eaten today just been vaping. I tested again at 3:02pm and it was 131.
I don't want to have to be insulin dependent but I also don't want to start smoking analogs again.

Last edited by a moderator:

dk2

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
cheers
I'm type II diabetic and I've been noticing my bs been up since vaping. I just restarted to test my bs several times a day now after getting a bad review from my doc on my last visit. My A1C was at 8.8 and I had a little protein in my kidneys. He prescribed a blood pressure med to protect my kidneys. I have insomnia so I go to sleep between 4-5 am. No snacking just vaping last night and early morning. Before I went to sleep my bs was 165 at 5:32am so I took a 5 mg of Glyburide and 500mg of Metformin. When I got up today I tested at 11:39 am with a bs count of 146. I took one 5mg Glyburide and 500mg of Metformin which usually brings my bs down and low if I haven't had anything to eat which I haven't yet eaten today just been vaping. I tested again at 3:02pm and it was 131.
I don't want to have to be insulin dependent but I also don't want to start smoking analogs again.

oops I should read before i post

Last edited:
Well, here's a way to find out of vaping affects your sugar...test it! I'm a diabetic, on insulin, and I was very concerned that I would not be able to vape because I was afraid it would raise my sugar. And just to let you know how obsessive I am about my numbers, I maintain very tight control on a very low carb diet (under 30 carbs a day) and I keep an A1C of 5.3 to 5.5.

I tested before I started vaping, vaped for about fifteen or twenty minutes, took my sugar again at the hour mark. I saw no rise in my number at all. I am extremely sensitive to sugar of all types, even a small amount will send my blood glucose through the roof in a very short time. I test about five-six times a day and I've been doing this for two weeks and have not noticed any effect on my numbers at all. I'm not saying it would never cause a rise in someone, but this is very individual and the only way you can know for sure is to test. So test! You should be doing that anyway, but you know that... :D

There are many things that can cause a Type 2 to deteriorate, and unfortunately, sometimes it's just the nature of the disease. Other things can raise your sugar, too, like infections, colds, allergies, dental cavities, for women hormone cyles, etc. One thing I would say to all Type 2s is do not fear insulin! It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, it doesn't mean you have failed. In fact, I believe it gives you more control over your numbers when you learn to use it. I honestly don't know why anyone bothers with orals at all. Don't fear the needles, they are far less painful than finger sticks, anyway. I love, love, love insulin! If I see a number I don't like, I can fix it within minutes.

Socalvapster

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Rosemead, California
Had a small peanut butter (Smart Balance 2mg sugar) and jelly (sugar free Smuckers apricot) sandwich on wheat bread small slices. Tested again @ 4:38 168. Took another Glyburide and Met. I thought it could be the cafe machiato 20% vg 21 ml mixed with 9ml of 100mg nic 100% vg to fill a 30ml bottle. I am going to vape Marlboro 26mg from Vapor room. My next appointment is in 3 mos. I'll probably have to contact my doctor now. Maybe I'll have to go to insulin for better control.

SoCal, if you do have to go on insulin, it's ok. Once you get the hang of it, you will think it's the best thing you ever did for your glucose control.

Right now, you might want to lower your carb intake a bit to help keep your numbers a bit lower?

OK, I'm done. I'm not the Diabetes Police! Just trying to help. I know it's frustrating and maddening as hell. I don't mean to tell you what to do or preach at you, for sure. I know I hate when others do that to me. :p

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I have posted many times before about this. I am now on insulin but before I went on insulin I was vaping. It did not raise my BD at all. It doesn't raise it now. P.G. is used in diabetic foods to sweeten them.
But if you are not eatting on a regular basis..that will raise your BD. The minute your feet hit the ground in the morning your BG starts to rise..no matter what you do. But eatting at regular times will help keep it from spiking. Taking your meds will also help regulate it.
Diabetes is a progressive disease. Umless caught very early and managed well you will move on to insulin. (It really isn't bad..the needle is tiny and doesn't hurt. I am afraid of needles and even I can do it!)
Talk to your Dr. test a lot and eat and exercize! Analogs were much worse for you and also raised BS as well as BP!
Oh BTW, tobacco leaves are softened by soaking them in P.G.!

My blood sugars have increased from 75-120 to 180-230 since I started 1 1/2 yrs ago.
I did not know why until this week.
The last few months I have not been vaping as much (did not exactly quit but the output and amount I vaped with drastically decreased) and my atomizers were not putting out.
I recently purchased new LR atomizers and new liquid this past weekend and started vaping on Monday a.m.
My sugars immediately increased but I do not know if it is the PG/VG mixture or the nicotine.
I dont suspect its just the nicotine as I smoked 1.5 to 2 packs of cigs each day and had better bg control. I have also dipped on rare occasions, and noticed no increase in bg levels the last 1.5 yrs.
I am using 12mg with a 60/40 mix PG/ VG
My fastings have increased as well./ I check my bg 3-4 times daily and this increase is not because I just recently quit smoking as I stopped 1.5 yrs ago.
I 1st noticed the increase 1.5 yrs ago but was puzzled- now feel there is a definite connection. The common denominators are the liquid and increased usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread