It's official. E cigs to be registered as a medicine in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
Tommy,

The MHRA press release is probably not actually about regulating e-cigarettes, it's more about putting pressure on the EU. I'd bet that if the TPD had got a smooth ride through committee at the EU, the MHRA's PR would have looked very different - perhaps something like this:

"The MHRA welcomes the decision by the European Union to regulate e-cigarettes both as a medicine for the refills and as a tobacco product for the hardware and ancillaries. This will ensure that consumers are fully protected and have access to safe and effective smoking cessation products."

Finally, you mention ".....the incompetence and hypocrisy of the MHRA". I think this is wrong. They are as efficient as it is possible to be as the pharmaceutical industry's government partner and protector. Let's leave it at that.
Oh yeah I agree totally, they have no regulations in place or ready yet as they are waiting for the TPD to go through, this is all about tipping that piece of rubbish in a direction that gives them a hand in the game. The effectiveness is all about the consisted delivery of a stated dose and thats the point I was making. That alone will impact on the variety of devices available. VV or VW,? forget it, that would allow the end user to adjust the 'hit' and so be considered unsafe.

I'm not sure they are as clever as you assume, as devious yes but this recommendation could well provoke a backlash they didn't expect and further influence the TPD to be amended in a way that takes their hand out of the game. I don't think the French and Italian proposed bans are anymore than efforts at tipping the TPD in the direction they would like either.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Hey SmokyJoe or Rolygate, can you see this effecting the forum in any negative ways?

Ya know its funny the logic here.. Tobacco companies can advertise cigarettes to non smokers but e-cig companies cannot? This makes absolutely no sense.

From the article:
Chief Medical Officer Professor Dame Sally Davies said with more people using e-cigarettes it was only right that the products were properly regulated to be safe and work effectively.

"Smokers are harmed by the deadly tar and toxins in tobacco smoke, not the nicotine," she said.

"While it's best to quit completely, I realise that not every smoker can and it is much better to get nicotine from safer sources such as nicotine replacement therapy."

See folks.. again it's all about Big Pharma and making MONEY. I really feel for you guys across the pond. There has to be some way to fight this for all your healths sake.. dont wanna be forced to go back to smoking...

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I blogged on this as it is a really interesting question with a lot of implications, and I needed a good subject for my new site's blog...

People here will also be very happy about this as you won't get one of my usual 2,000-word answers. Here is a world Roly first, the answer is:

It makes no difference, John.

:)

Although here is the *real* version:
Anti-Luddites: the people versus the old machine - Blog

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Thanks (Mahalo) Smokey Joe, This is something that is vitally important to everyone worldwide; once a single precident is set, others will follow. The S.O.S. "build the roads, they will come". The whole idea of regulation beyond what was in place for tobacco sales is ludicrous. No-one was required to obtain a writen Rx in order to buy low nicotine "light" cigarettes vs. unfiltered camel (eg).
For the states currently under threat of regulation in the US - we know they'll be watching this to use against us. I hope we can find a venue here to keep this news at the forefront of the Forum and with the highest possible visibility, along with any possible avenues of support which might be helpful. Is there any data showing ECF membership by UK and EU members? Are we in touch with a comparable sister site in UK? What is it?

sebt

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Very informative post from rolygate a few pages back, on the background and the meaning of "efficacy".

I've emailed all my MEPs about this: my email is posted here.

I'm working on a revised version to send to MPs and MSPs (since I'm in Scotland). I'd appreciate any advice about what action I can suggest MPs/MSPs take; what possible difference might they make to the MHRA's decision at this point?

Worth noting something Clive Bates posted on his blog (here: E-cigarettes are unregulated, right? « The counterfactual): that way back in 2010 the MHRA was heavily criticised by the Regulatory Policy Committee. The criticism is pretty damning: the MHRA failed to estimate the impact realistically, and was too restrictive in the options considered (the obvious "regulate as medicines vs. completely unregulated" false dichotomy).

As far as I can tell the MHRA hasn't taken any of these criticisms on board.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The UK tackles e-cigs (hilarious parody)
The UK tackles e-cigs - YouTube
Oh, that is just too funny !!!
1-BigGrin.png

Actually ...
I think it would be a good idea to share this video
with all the powers-to-be opposed to e-smoking.
:p

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Petrodus wrote

I think it would be a good idea to share this video with all the powers-to-be opposed to e-smoking.

I'll include it in my next Tobacco Harm Reduction Update, which I've been sending to virtually everybody who has every made false claims about e-cigs and who has advocated banning e-cig sales and/or use (except for about 100 e-cigarette opponents who told me to stop sending them e-mails educating them about e-cigs).

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Petrodus wrote

I think it would be a good idea to share this video with all the powers-to-be opposed to e-smoking.

I'll include it in my next Tobacco Harm Reduction Update, which I've been sending to virtually everybody who has every made false claims about e-cigs and who has advocated banning e-cig sales and/or use (except for about 100 e-cigarette opponents who told me to stop sending them e-mails educating them about e-cigs).
Those opposed to e-smoking have no problems with spreading lies.
They have no problems with us pointing out the truth and supplying documentation
which they will just ignore.

However, they do have an issue finding out the public is laughing at them
and the truth and their silly games has become public knowledge.
PISSES THEM OFF that the "jig is up" and they are the .... of jokes
to the point there are YouTubes out there making fun of them.
:laugh:

Edit:
If I was "a player" in the UK e-cig movement ...
I would make sure that YouTube went viral
by putting it in Everyone's inbox and suggesting
everyone post it on their Facebooks ETC ETC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread