It's official we're having a baby, I need some info

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaughterOfTyr

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
BC, Canada
Many congratulations! While I haven't heard anything conclusive re: harm/safety I too would rather be cautious.
Also I just wanted to note that you should check into any legislation that may have been passed in your area. For example here in BC we have a "no smoking / no vaping" in vehicles restriction for anyone travelling with children. Part of a newly passed tobacco and Vapour Products Control Act. (Last I read it was not in effect yet).

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Congrats on the little one! They're pretty awesome. I've got two myself; the oldest is 4 and the youngest is 2. I don't vape if they're right beside me, or generally in the same room, but I do vape in the house. I'd be way more concerned over them messing with the e liquid itself. That could cause way more immediate issues than just vaping.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
The important thing to remember is that kids like fruity, candy flavors so for the best chance of raising a vaper is to vape those often. You'll especially want the ones with bright colors or funny pics on the label. Apparently kids are drawn to those like a moth to a flame. But don't leave your mod and atties laying around. They can contain small parts that present a choking hazard for small kids. A kids first vape shouldn't be until they hit puberty. Whatever you do, don't get a flashlight with a red filter and take a deep inhale and say "Luke, I am your father" while exhaling when they are around 2 and still in their crib. My son Luke still won't come near me after 5pm. I guess that scares them.

Bhoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2015
London
Mrs is also expecting. Have 2 minions already. For newborn I would go to another room. Immune system is very weak but once they are past the 6+ month stage then I am not bothered. I do 6mg so low nic. I keeps stuff in my home office under lockdown. Newborn = take super extra precautions until they are a bit older.

Bhoot

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
Mrs is also expecting. Have 2 minions already. For newborn I would go to another room. Immune system is very weak but once they are past the 6+ month stage then I am not bothered. I do 6mg so low nic. I keeps stuff in my home office under lockdown. Newborn = take super extra precautions until they are a bit older.

Bhoot

That is actually not true.Healthy newborns have a great immune system due to having their mothers antibodies still in their system. If mom breast feeds then even more so.

nitewalkr

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2015
Sauga
First of all; Grats!

I usually vape outside the house in the balcony, and also while vaping in public if there is someone with a baby around I either move myself to a different location or blow my vape upward. It is vaping so it is very highly unlikely for someone to have a second hand...vape, unless they breathe in to it.

drugarth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2015
Netherlands, groningen
there are actually some studies about passive vape, I found 2 wich both concluded that there is no nicotine, aerosols etc. detected 30cm away from the vapers, and there is no effect on lung tissues from a passive vape.
links:
Development of an in vitro cytotoxicity model for aerosol exposure using 3D reconstructed human airway tissue; application for assessment of e-cigarette aerosol
Onderzoek elektrische sigaret passief meedampen omstanders (video in spanish with english subtitles)

However I still would err on the side of caution and vape in another room.
Congrats btw!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Little known fact about nicotine it's actually a vital nutrient for the development of nerve tissue. It's so similar chemically to vitamin B3 that it's impossible to ingest one without the other.
Sorry, but no. Nicotine and Niacin have a pyridine ring in common. Beyond that, they're not very similar. The only reason Niacin is also referred to as nicotinic acid is that it can be (and originally was) synthesized by oxidizing nicotine using nitric acid. So while niacin is indeed an essential nutrient, nicotine definitely isn't.

That said, I wouldn't blow vapor directly at a new-born, but other than that, I don't see much cause for concern.

Reactions: Izan

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
I'd be concerned with lung development rather than the immune system, but my conclusion would be the same: keep it away from a new-born, but once they are older there shouldn't be a problem.

Dr Farsalinos has a gloss of an anti-vaping study where he points out that it shows that the detected nicotine in second-hand vape is below the level where it has a biological effect. Not just safe, but no effect at all.

Having said that, of course, you will probably want to err on the side of caution. Even 0.0001% risk is probably too high for a new parent.

And I'm not a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread