Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
That's what I was thinking too, but after looking up and reading about alu-bronze, it doesn't seem to be the same material. I had a Lux and they are definitely different.

I just like the look of it. The buffed color looks great, and the patina looks fantastic. It is different than other materials, there's no doubt about it. All one has to do is have a look at some of the video reviews and you can see the difference.

I had a lux and have a stingray so I know they are not the same alloy but it's listed as 'copper, aluminum and brass' which is a strange description. It's probably some obscure alloy a wholesaler they use sells.

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
I had a lux and have a stingray so I know they are not the same alloy but it's listed as 'copper, aluminum and brass' which is a strange description. It's probably some obscure alloy a wholesaler they use sells.

It is a strange description considering brass is basically copper and zinc. So what is phantom brass then, a combination of copper, aluminum and zinc? Yeah, you're right, that would be considering alu-bronze.

I think maybe they came up with the name because it's such a light color brass when it's buffed to a mirror shine. Seems to be much lighter than naval brass.

EDIT: I'm looking through the range of aluminum coppers, so far I'm only seeing copper, aluminum and iron combinations, not seeing zinc in any of them. Going to keep looking, now I wanna figure out what it is they're using.

Last edited:

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
Looks like this prebuy is sold out :(

Really?????? HURRAY!!! Aw, sorry you missed out, I don't mean to rub it in :).... but that means I'll be getting mine soon. Hmm... I'm trying not to get too excited though in case I get my hopes up and am disappointed with the quality.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Ya I was thinkin Nordic gold.
Fits their intentionally vague discription.

Always sends up a red flag when companies are vague about their products.
Usually means they have something to hide, or are exaggerating claims.
Wonder which one it is?
"Better conductivity than..."
Another vague reference

Hmmm

I think I'll stick to the clone.
At least I know exactly what in getting for my money.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
From the pictures, it looks like there's no drip tip included and the it's..brushed? instead of polished.

Fast tech actually has pics of the clone.

Most other sites are showing pics of the real stingray.

I'd be terrified to order a clone when the company selling it is so ashamed they post pics of the oiginal.

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
I pre-ordered it from White Stag for $37. If it is the same one that the reviewer on youtube received from Mods and Attys im the UK I think I will be pleased.

By the way white stag shows their atarting to take pre orders for run #2 which should be available second weekcof March for those that are interested. I cant wait myself.

roflwaffles

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2014
United States
The White Stag one is a Tobeco piece while the one in the Youtube review is from Infinite. The Infinite looks REALLY nice, someone posted a picture of theirs in the "Pictures of Your Setup" thread and it looked glorious. I don't think the Tobeco pieces have been shown yet.

Looks like White Stag opened up the item again for orders that will be delivered the week after you guys get your item.

Last edited:

Blind Squirrel

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Polishing every few days seems like a hassle. I still want 1 lol.

I have the phantom brass Stingray and haven't polished it since first cleaning and building it. The patina came on in about 12 hours of almost continuous handling. Personally, I think it looks even better this way and doesn't need constant polishing.
IMG_20140209_045916.jpg
Rough picture, but gives you an idea.

Last edited:

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
The White Stag one is a Tobeco piece while the one in the Youtube review is from Infinite. The Infinite looks REALLY nice, someone posted a picture of theirs in the "Pictures of Your Setup" thread and it looked glorious. I don't think the Tobeco pieces have been shown yet.

Looks like White Stag opened up the item again for orders that will be delivered the week after you guys get your item.

Just curious waffles, how do you know it's Tobeco? I don't see the manufacture listed on the description for the stingray on White Stag.

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
Expected release date is March 7th? It was February 14th before..

I'd like to know why they say 18490 and 18650 tubes are 'phantom brass' but no mention of the 18350 tube, which is the tube I'll be using most of the time...

Here's Tobeco's version

Not very revealing. An update from the vendor would be nice though.. ya know, like, hey we've reached the goal, you can expect yours within xxx days or whatever...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread