Joint pain and swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coree

May 29, 2016
I am fairly new to vaping. I have only been doing it for about 6 weeks. I loved it immediately, and was able to give up smoking the first day I started. I was a smoker for 30 years, and had developed an everyday cough amongst other things. During my short time of vaping I have noticed my cough to be completely gone. I use to have to take pills everyday for acid reflux, and to my surprise I no longer need those. My eyes are no longer dry like they were when I was smoking. So I am definitely already seeing a lot of great health related things come out of my decision to quit smoking and start vaping. And a big plus is I don't stink anymore! Lol! However, about a week into vaping my feet, ankles, and knees started to swell and I began having joint pain. I am not sure what the cause is, or if it's even vape related. Ive been drinking a ton of water. I've seen my physician and he has referred me for X-rays and lab tests to determine the cause. But because it all started about a week into my jorney with vaping, I am left wondering if it may have something to do with the cause. I've been researching the Internet, and have found several others posting that they have had the same issue, and that they are also wondering if it could be do to their bodies not agreeing with one of the ingredients in their vape. But I haven't been able to find any answers as to if anyone ever found out what that ingredient was. I have stopped vaping for a few days now to see if I have any changes in the pain and swelling, and although it isn't completely gone yet, it does seem to be getting better. But in the meantime, I am back to smoking, (yuck) and I'm hating it. I want to get back to vaping as soon as possible. I'm just wondering if any of you have had any kind of experience with this, and if you can point me in the right direction to get back to vaping. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
It's not from vaping. It's from quitting smoking. That cocktail of ingredients in cigarettes deadens some nerves, reduces your sense of smell and taste, as well as actually addicts your body to them.
You got off them long enough to feel some of the affects they (and time) have had on your body. You started smoking again and, of course, the problems start reducing.

I smoked for 37 years. During that time I did a lot of damage to my body, and of course, time does a goodly amount too. But I never paid that much attention to my "hurts" until after I quit smoking. After 2 months on Chantix (sp?) I didn't know which was worse, the constant craving for a smoke or the pain from all my past injuries and adding years to my clock. Started smoking again until almost 4 years ago when I took up vaping. Figured I'd have the pain again, but at least I might be able to stop smoking this time. I did and of course, here comes the pain, swelling and a few other things to remind me I'm no longer 18...

I'll deal with the pain. At least I smell good, have a great hobby making DIY mods and eliquids and some of those concotions the docs want me to take do pretty damn well!!

Last edited:
Reactions: supertrunker

Coree

May 29, 2016
It's not from vaping. It's from quitting smoking. That cocktail of ingredients in cigarettes deadens some nerves, reduces your sense of smell and taste, as well as actually addicts your body to them.
You got off them long enough to feel some of the affects they (and time) has had on your body. You started smoking again and, of course, the problems start reducing.

I smoked for 37 years. During that time I did a lot of damage to my body, and of course, time does a goodly amount too. But I never paid that much attention to my "hurts" until after I quit smoking. After 2 months on Chantix (sp?) I didn't know which was worse, the constant craving for a smoke or the pain from all my past injuries and adding years to my clock. Started smoking again until almost 4 years ago when I took up vaping. Figured I'd have the pain again, but at least I might be able to stop smoking this time. I did and of course, here comes the pain, swelling and a few other things to remind me I'm no longer 18...

I'll deal with the pain. At least I smell good, have a great hobby making DIY mods and eliquids and some of those concotions the docs want me to take do pretty damn well!!

Thank you so much for your response. I am really hoping that is the case. I am just finding it hard to believe that quitting smoking is causing me to swell too for the last 5 weeks. But I do understand that our bodies have to go through an adjustment period, reaking havoc from not getting all the nasty chemicals it's been use to for so many years. I have decided to not vape for the next couple of weeks, to see if I can get any kind of relief from the joint pain and swelling, but either way, I still want to go back to vaping. But if I do find it to be something caused by vaping, I'm just hoping to have a plan in place. From what I have been able to find online, I think I need to try 100% vg, or maybe just less pg, or even maybe just a different flavoring then cinnamon, since that has been my flavor of choice. Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction, incase it is my body having a reaction to one of the ingredients. I'm finding it hard to believe at 46, I've suddenly come down with arthritis like symptoms a week after quitting smoking and starting to vape.

Reactions: bnrkwest

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
As to all of a sudden come down with Arthritis, it DOES happen. I woke up with arthritis in Basal joints of left hand a few months ago. I have it in my right hand now also. But it's most painful in the left. I'm right handed, so I'm counting my blessing. I finally went to dr to get anti-inflammatory Rx. He concurred with me about the arth.. but we are running blood tests to be sure. It could be Gout too. Been vaping nearly 3 yrs, 70/30 vg/pg... I'm 57. I haven't started taking the meds yet b/c I'm also convalescing over an oral surgery I just had on an old implant. Taking pain meds for that and antibiotics. My friend that is a couple yrs older then me that does not vape, but does smoke, also woke up with arth.. in same exact joints a couple months before I did. Weird.

Coree

May 29, 2016
Thank you all for your response. I am back to vaping. After 4 days of smoking instead. I really didn't see any big changes in the swelling or pain. Some days less, but other days it was still bad. And I'm noticing it in my arms and wrist now too. So I really don't think it has anything to do with vaping. Just waiting to get the results of my X-rays and labs, to find out if it is arthritis. And I've ordered some pg free vape, to see if that makes any difference. Thanks again!

martsumoto

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2012
Ecuador
www.liquivapejuice.com
Coree,

As Supply Daddy mentioned, everything is from quitting smokes. Remember that cigarettes have more than 4000 harmful substances and our body is a very complex chemical reaction factory.
One thing for sure, you will be way better without smoking. Give your body time to heal. Your lungs will be totally healthy after quitting smoking in 10 years! is not something that will happened from one day to the other.

Also, healthy lifestyle is the key. Eat healthy, do exercise and and enjoy your vape!

Reactions: bnrkwest

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Here's a true story. At age 10 I was playing Tarzan over a cliff and the rope broke - I have had three pins in that femur for 56 years and the leg is shorter than the other one. While at college in my teens I worked in a brick works during vacations and suffered a serious back injury when a kiln car collapsed under me. Despite this I did long distance walking and hill walking for much of my life. I also cycled and camped covering up to 250 miles per week writing about my travels for a cycling magazine. I smoked since my early teens switching to a pipe at age 24, though I continued to inhale a certain amount of pipe tobacco. I was fine up until age 62 - 4 years ago....and then overnight got pains in my back, hips and knees due to arthritis. I was still smoking when this happened. Each morning since it has been a toss up which would act up that day - knees, back hips or the whole lot in concert. I started vaping in October last - things have got neither worse nor better viz a viz my joints since. Age, old injuries and wear and tear can indeed catch up with you suddenly - virtually overnight in my case. I believe the expression is "S**t happens!"

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Arthritis is caused by inflammation and inflammation can be caused by many things including foods. Sugar is the worst offender and even foods like corn is a high inflammatory. I agree with the get out and walk more as it helps your body flush away toxins and inflammation. I take tumeric and black pepper for inflammation because I have chronic bursitis in my hip which is inflammation of the bursae. I also cut out inflammatory foods and go easy on the salt as well. I have vaped daily for 5 yrs now and I feel great but my first month after quiting I had all sorts of problems while cigarette tobacco leaving my body including a severe case of acne that cleared up after a month. It is crazy how all these things hit us as we quit smoking. Good luck!

lionshare

Moved On
Jun 27, 2016
Netherlands
  • Deleted by retired1

johnhamilton

Moved On
Jun 27, 2016
United State
  • Deleted by retired1
Status
Not open for further replies.