Joye Stick V3 taken apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justy Roost

Mar 31, 2011
USA
For owners and potential owners of the Stick, we recently took one apart and decided to post this story and pictures for those that might be interested.

LED indicators were operating and batteries were charging, but a new Joye Stick V3 was not heating any of the gently but well connected atomizers. Apparently one or both of the power wires to the atomizer connector weren't attached well or at all. The atomizers were connecting firmly to it and the atomizer connector was not turning in its mounting though. Everything was fine, except it didn't work.

In the next day or so the atomizer connector did start turning during testing various atomizers. There were only a number of firm hand-tightening attempts with two different 302 atomizers (just 302, no 801 4072 112) and later on with adapters and various 808 and 510 cartomizers/atomizers. Obviously at one point the torque on the connector became excessive and it started to move when attaching to it. If the wires had been attached in some way before, they certainly weren't now. Either way it hadn't been working, so apart it came.

joystickv3_parts.jpg

Before taking it apart, the bottom cap's glue had dissolved during cleaning the atomizer connector with 95% Isopropyl Alcohol so the cap was no longer attached. (The 95IA also dissolved some of the textured rubber covering on the plate that covers the switch circuit board.)

The main circuit board was somewhat difficult to remove even with the screws out, it pretty much had to be pried out of the body due to the USB jack and how the board fits in the body. (It does appear to go back in more easily though, at least with no wires reattached to anything.)

main PCB and atomizer connector.jpg

The small black and red wires near the jack go to that atomizer connector, and indeed neither was attached now, as expected. No bare wires from them were showing. If they were attached, they'd "snapped off" during the moving/twisting.
The large red wire (battery +) was cut towards the middle on purpose in order to fully remove the board from the body and in order to not have it break somewhere difficult to reach. (The battery cap unit did not easily come out of the body, so it was left in place.)
The two smaller wires on the bottom go to the switch board and just came off at some point earlier on during disassembly.

The atomizer connector fits into the body under one of the screw mounts, into the tube for the atomizer. This is a fairly tight area in the body, but nothing behind the connector really stops the atomizer connector from moving back some or from turning. It's easy to remove the atomizer connector with it apart, although it has to be tilted sideways a bit. When it's not already loose enough to be turning like it was, it likely would need to be pushed out of the tube (towards where the main circuit board goes) in some way first though.

atomizer connecter area.jpg

All that was holding it into the body seems to be the ridges on the bottom of the atomizer connector. There was no glue or epoxy holding it in more firmly or to stop it from ever spinning. This lack of something other than the ridges of the connector in the body holding the connector firm might not be the case in all versions and variations of this product, but it was in this one.

atomizer connector.jpg

It appears possible to reassemble the unit by soldering these wires and/or other short wire replacements/extensions, although the fit is a bit tight. Once the atomizer connector had been firmly resoldered back to the wires, the opportunity might then be there to epoxy or hot glue the adapter connector and its wires in place and perhaps still have room to assemble the unit as it was. This hasn't been attempted though.

For units that are together and working, taking it apart appears to be the only way (short of drilling holes in the side of the body, one imagines) to really get to the connector's back to glue it in, although taking it apart to do so might break the wires during the process.

michaelcly

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Atlantic Beach, FL
Did you have any luck putting it back together? I have the same unit and have no power to the atomizer. Everything else functions though. The back cap came off easily and I took out the circuit board screws. I quit there until I know I'll be able to put it back together.
I have a silver one as well. When I pop the back of it off, the flat piece that keeps the button in place came out. The other one seems to be glued in.

Curious about your progress

Justy Roost

Mar 31, 2011
USA
Did you have any luck putting it back together? Curious about your progress
It just seems like a lot of work to try and fix, although it would be a shame to just toss the parts. So I've not gotten back to it yet at all, except looking at it and pondering. I'm concerned about the wires and where they're attached to, since they'd have to be replaced or extended, and then they can only be so long if everything's going to go back into the original case. Which means putting it back like it was without messing up or breaking off connections isn't going to be easy. Or fun. It doesn't seem one of those things that's meant to either be taken apart or put back together....

Maybe moving it to a different configuration would be the best thing, just reusing the circuit board and atomizer connector. Say attaching the atomizer connector externally to something and just attaching the board to some battery somehow. That opens issues of how to "attach" everything so nothing pulls loose and so on, one of the reasons I haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet.

Plus, entire kits are going for around $30 and bodies for $18, with 801 passthroughs for $14, so it might not even be worth it. Especially since for the existing atomizers, there's an alternative and an adapter for 808 or 510 battery to 302/4072/112/801 atomizer would allow their use with something like the 510 passthrough that uses this same battery.

michaelcly

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Atlantic Beach, FL
The supplier replaced the bad body so I had time to experiment. I decided to rewire and bypass the circuit board. I had to put the circuit board back on though because it has the battery spring attached. It works great, albeit I have no fancy lights or internal charger. I made a simple series ckt. by:

1. Took the circuit board out, removed all wires from it
2. pulled the wires off the battery connector. Marked on the board where the battery spring was soldered onto the board.
3. Put the Switch back in and soldered the original wire from where the battery cap screws in to one of the switch terminals.
4. Soldered two new wires from the battery connector
5. clipped off a corner of the ckt board by the usb connector to run the battery connector wires to the top of the board.
6. reinstalled the board with the wires running up through the clipped part.
7. soldered one wire to the switch and the other to the solder joint that holds the battery spring. (I put the battery back in first so the spring wouldn't fall when I heated the solder joint that held it in place)

I already had a 10440 high-drain battery I used. I wasn't sure if the Joye battery was safe without the circuit board. I put a 1.6 lr single coil cartomizer on it and it worked as good as my 3.7 box mod. It won't vape as long but I only use it as a stealth thing anyway.

Probably wasn't worth it but I enjoyed doing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread