Status
Not open for further replies.

Verashu

Forum Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 25, 2015
vapesourcing.com
Joyetech Atopack Penguin coils review

Joyetech Atopack penguin is a fresh new design starter kit with pod, it features with an innovative and exclusive JVIC system for the coils. Not like usual the coil is vertical in the tank, the coil in Atopack Penguin is flat.

GjcjOvW.jpg

The juice come from the top and the airflow from the side so it's be called as JVIC (Juice Vertical Injection Coil) system.

For the material, it's using ceramic and Kanthal (Kanthal coil wrapped by ceramic cradle) , ohms range with a 0.25ohm head for DL and a 0.6ohm head for MTL, which can produce really good flavor and I'm really impressed by its large vapor.

0eg3Ovt.png

Btw, the pod capacity with 2 different choice (2ml for EU and 8.8ml for the others), so vaping a whole day you don't need to fill the juice again and again if you take the 8.8ml.

dUaZv3u.jpg

Okay, so do you want to try this? Or if you have already have one, how do you feel about it?

Last edited:

Robby

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2011
Hamlin, PA
I have been using the Penguin with DL .25 heads for the last month. I was using the original NEBOX for about 2 to 3 years before this. I liked the huge liquid capacity and after all that time it still worked. But the USB port was broken and it was getting a bit old. So it was time for a change.
I didn't go for the follow up to the NEBOX or the egrips because they had low capacity and the high location of the atomizer in relation to the mouthpiece made for lots of spitting of hot liquid onto the tongue.
The Penguin seemed to take care of both of these issues with its 8.8ml capacity and the new atomizer system.
The only thing that scared me a bit was there is no RBA deck unlike with the NEBOX and there is no voltage/wattage/temp control.
After trying out the DL .25 head on the Penguin I realized I wouldn't need to control it because it was the perfect set up right out of the box. Huge clouds and nice temperature. So that helps. The low cost of the Penguin made me not care as much about not having an RBA deck. At first it seemed the new ATOPAK atomizers would last quite a while as well, since the first one lasted me a week a few days. But then I went through a couple in 3 or 4 days each. Then I would get one that lasts a week, one that lasts 3 days. So it has been a bit of a crapshoot as far as how long they are lasting without tasting a bit burnt and nasty.
The reason I believe a few of them at least didn't last as long as they should have is this- The ATOPAK tank has no view port when installed into the Penguin. You have to yank the tank out to see a side port and know how much liquid you have left. When you have a capacity of 8.8 ml it is hard to know when you are running low. You would think the opposite is true and you would be filling it every now and again and it would never run out. But you might surprise yourself with how fast you vape 8.8 ml through a DL .25 head. I have tasted quite a few dry hits since I bought the Penguin because of this very reason. Thus shortening the lifespan of the atomizer. Or I'll look and see it is about a quarter full and say "OK, Gotta fill up in a bit" and then forget and get the dry hit. A direct lung dry hit at that. UGHHH. They really should have put a slot in the side of the body that shows the view port of the tank just by looking at the unit. A minor oversight that makes for a pretty big problem for daily use. You might say "Just yank out the tank and look, Doesn't sound so hard". And you're right. But it's not fun yanking out the tank 50 times a day in fear of the nasty dry hit and then inevitably having your mind somewhere else and just vaping away and BLAMO..Yuk city.
Ok spent enough time of that issue. Only other issue I had was - You absolutely need a unicorn bottle to fill the tank. Otherwise you will be sitting there squeezing the tank or putting a long pointy object into the tank to pop the air bubble that is holding the liquid from getting into the tank and making it spill into the air slot. Not a big issue as I looked through my stuff and found 2 unicorn bottles from a different brand of liquid and just fill those up to use. Retailers have them available for purchase for super cheap as well. They are nice bottles as they as sleeker in the pocket.
Well that about wrap this up. Sorry I know this was supposed to be about the atomizers but I feel the lack of the view port in the unit itself has been a big contributor to the lifespan of atomizers in my experience.

Reactions: Wisdom

Electra_Deville

Jun 13, 2017
Just got my Penguin and love its sleek, elegant look (I bought the black and silver combo). The other thing that's great about it is it's light build, how it easily fits in a pocket, and it's all-in-one build. But the best part is there's no leakage or sticky-ness(!). Also, vapor plummage production and vape-density is sexy sweet. Saying goodbye to my Smok Stick.

Wisdom

Feb 2, 2014
Sacramento CA
Robby, I have had mine for two weeks now and I totally agree with everything you are saying. I am having the same issue with the coils, first one lasted two days, it seemed at full charge it was just too strong but I fixed that by properly saturating the coils. For me I have found these coils need complete saturation before you try to use them. User error for sure, and the not being able to see the juice is an issue. Second coil lasted a week then it is just tasting burn a bit and stale, I could continue to vape but it is not as pleasant as a new one and I am going to change it now. Over all I love the system though, I paid 23 dollars for it and I too used the Nebox for a long time before this. I bought the Cupti but have had nothing bur problems. I recommend this but be aware of the juice and the coil saturation in the beginning. Love to all....Kim

C.Chastain

Jul 19, 2016
North Carolina
I have 2 of these. The first one astounded me. Great, saturated hits from the .25 ohm head. (I agree with the caveats previously posted, but not a deal breaker).
It quickly became my go to for out and about use.
Then I need a new coil...
Tried the .6 and it was unusable for me. Too restricted.
Then I found that every vender that listed coils, was preorder only! Coils were no where to be found.
So I bought another kit... Why not? Cheap and I liked it!
Only the coil (.25) that came with the new one absolutely would not wick!.
I make my own juice, so I diluted some down to 50/50. Still wouldn't wick.
Finally, I resorted to an old Kanger trick... Poke a hole in the cotton with a needle.
STILL wouldn't wick.
I ended up cutting an and poking with a small exacting (through the top juice port).
Success!
Still using that one while I wait on new child to arrive, today I hope!

I really really hope this won't be an ongoing quality control issue with the coils. I love this little thing.

Robby

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2011
Hamlin, PA
Yeah the coils were a bit hard to get for awhile there. See that some sites stateside now have them in stock but I had to place an order from china to get the ones I have now. Took about 2 weeks to get them but I ordered 3 boxes of 5 DL coils. Kind of wish I ordered more even because the price was really great.
Just a quick note of warning. It's super easy to hit the button in your pocket when you sit down. Just be careful. I had it happen and when I took it out it spilled a bunch of super heated liquid out of the air slot at the top somehow and burned my hand. Not severely, Just hurt for a bit. I think the unit got so hot in my pocket that the extra heat somehow made liquid get through. Whether by the liquid getting thinner or whatever. Just be careful.

KMPM

Aug 21, 2017
My coils don't seems to last more than an hour of vaping. I have tried both 0.6 and 0.25. I prime them thoroughly infact soak them before use and even prime it after chain Vaping for 15 minutes. I have tried 60/40 - 70/30 - 50/50 juice. The behavior is same.

Another problem I seem to face intermittently is juice leaking from the edges of the coil, the juice accumulation near the battery contacts worries me, what if it shorts, I guess the 2 contacts inside are + & - , does this mod have protection around shorts?

Any help will be appreciated.
I love the flavor and clouds but the coils and leak are ruining it all.

hannarules

Sep 16, 2017
I think I found a temporary solution. Both of the attys that came with my penguin went out within a week each, so I was frustrated and said, "well, they're messed up anyway, so why not try this?"

My temp solution is get a needle or something small that you can fit into the top, then push in the edges of the material inside of it. I think this works because more liquid flows into easier allowing the atty to be soaked better, thus the atty doesn't burn.

Tried this on my .25 and haven't felt the least bit of burn on my throat, but just in case, I ordered some new attys lol...

hannarules

Sep 16, 2017
My coils don't seems to last more than an hour of vaping. I have tried both 0.6 and 0.25. I prime them thoroughly infact soak them before use and even prime it after chain Vaping for 15 minutes. I have tried 60/40 - 70/30 - 50/50 juice. The behavior is same.

Another problem I seem to face intermittently is juice leaking from the edges of the coil, the juice accumulation near the battery contacts worries me, what if it shorts, I guess the 2 contacts inside are + & - , does this mod have protection around shorts?

Any help will be appreciated.
I love the flavor and clouds but the coils and leak are ruining it all.
Check out my solution

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
I have tried both of these penguins the Special Edition (with the see through window in the side and the ordinary edition) Do not have a problem with the coils but the ordinary edition after about a month stopped working. I replaced the coils and everything and its fully charged and the darn thing will not fire. Cannot figure out why. The special edition Grey one is still going strong and I do prefer it as a quick portable vape to take in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread