Status
Not open for further replies.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Annnd here we go. Ijoy with the "Goodger" tank. I saw a better pic on instagram but now I can't find it...

c8fcdf3ddae31fdd990e206143411c78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It never ends. Oy: Exclusive Preview: iJoy Goodger Tank - Vaping360

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Ok, I think I figured part of this saga out- why some of us are experiencing terrible taste, while others are not. I think it's the juice.

So I've been using my AIO, and it's been a similar situation as the Cubis. Really lousy on flavor and sort of burnt tasting. I've been primarily using 50/50 fruit juices. I figured this would be the best bet for those small holes to wick. Then I tried a 60 VG fruit juice, and it was slightly better. Then- I tried a berry cobbler flavor that was still 60% VG but more complex. The result: I don't taste the badness anymore. But it wasn't the VG level, I think it was the kind of fruit.

I think simple flavors like I was using before- pure flavor fruits or something like that, pick up some kind of bad flavor that these coils give off. But something like a custard or dessert flavor will not. I'm still testing, but now I have no doubt that my tobacco type flavors will be much better at least.

For those of you who have hated these coils like me- try a more complex and "darker" flavor. Maybe it's just masking it; but hey, if it works, it works. I'm now at least semi happy with my AIO. I just can't put a "clean" fruit, or sensitive flavor in it. I don't have anymore Cubis coils, but I bet it will be the same. It's still slightly muted, but also not as much.

Reactions: gerrymi

StirredStill

Jan 20, 2016
Canada
Ok, I think I figured part of this saga out- why some of us are experiencing terrible taste, while others are not. I think it's the juice.

So I've been using my AIO, and it's been a similar situation as the Cubis. Really lousy on flavor and sort of burnt tasting. I've been primarily using 50/50 fruit juices. I figured this would be the best bet for those small holes to wick. Then I tried a 60 VG fruit juice, and it was slightly better. Then- I tried a berry cobbler flavor that was still 60% VG but more complex. The result: I don't taste the badness anymore. But it wasn't the VG level, I think it was the kind of fruit.

I think simple flavors like I was using before- pure flavor fruits or something like that, pick up some kind of bad flavor that these coils give off. But something like a custard or dessert flavor will not. I'm still testing, but now I have no doubt that my tobacco type flavors will be much better at least.

For those of you who have hated these coils like me- try a more complex and "darker" flavor. Maybe it's just masking it; but hey, if it works, it works. I'm now at least semi happy with my AIO. I just can't put a "clean" fruit, or sensitive flavor in it. I don't have anymore Cubis coils, but I bet it will be the same. It's still slightly muted, but also not as much.

I refuse.
No tank shall determine what my clouds will taste like!!

[emoji189][emoji189][emoji189][emoji189][emoji189][emoji189][emoji189][emoji189][emoji189][emoji189][emoji189]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Cubis tank irritates me. Gurgling and spits everytime you fill it for about 15 puffs. Not good when you have to set them up for people in the store. Then it has a very mutted flavor. Filled a Tron Tank and the Cubis both with stainless steel coils, same cotton and for flavor the Tron blew the Cubis right out of the water. Even my wife did not think it was the same juice. Joyetech is riding on the Cubis tanks as of now they are coming on everything new. They even have them lighting up with color LED's on some models.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA

Yeah don't think that's gonna work for me, man. I only vape fruit menthols and anyway I get either super gurgly or super dry hit. There's no in between. I've never had a tank do this before.

Reactions: drysprocket

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
I have been using the Cubis for 3+ months. Here are some of my thoughts:
  • This is not a high wattage cloud tank. It is designed for low to mid level watts. If you like to vape in +30 and want huge clouds this tank won't play.
  • This tank should be marketed better it is a MTL tank that can also sub ohm.
  • I prefer direct lung hits with cool vapor and this tank provides plenty of vapor for my taste.
  • The coils are its weak spot. I have found that successfully priming a coil takes patience. If the process is rushed the coils will dry hit.
  • The break in period for the coils is much longer than traditional designed coils and can, if rushed, produce very little flavor.
  • I have found the .5 ohm coil to be the best performer. The other two I didn't prefer because of the spit back cover which muted the flavor and were extremely difficult to prime and break in.
  • It is interesting to me how polarizing this tank is. People either love it or hate it. On line reviews and the comments here reflect. In my opinion I believe this is in part joyetechs fault as the should not market it in the same breath with high performance subohm tanks. I also feel that this is user frustration over a tank which on the surface looks simplistic but does require some learning to get to function as it is built "upside down" from traditional tanks and the coil design dictates a different approach.
  • Do I wish the flavor was on the level of my STM, yes. Is it light years below, no.
  • I will continue to use this tank because now that I have learned the coils I am getting consistent performance and it will not leak.
  • Lastly, will I be on the look out when kanger releases the CL tank which uses the same cup design? I will indeed.
Just a few of my thoughts to throw into the Cubis love it or hate it stew.

Last edited:

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
Had my first bad experience with my Cubis and looks like it was a dud coil. I changed the original 1.0 SS coil I put in the tank with a new 1.0 SS from a pack of 5 I bought along with the tank. I primed it the same way. 6-7 drops into the coil, at least 30 minutes in the tank and then a few primer pulls without firing. I got hardly any vapour and a couple of the dreaded dry hits. I run the coils in temp mode at 450 degrees and 25 watts and that worked perfect on my original coil. I switched to wattage mode and still had little vapour with dry hits. I changed the coil to another out of the same pack and now it's doing fine on my original temp settings.

I guess the problem that seems to crop up for people seems to be an issue with coil consistency.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I went they through exactly 9 coils of three types (1.5, 0.5, 1.0 ohm) from three different boxes and vendors and they were all crap. Like exact same performance of gurgly spitting mess or super dry hits. I haven't had a dry hit since temp control became popular and this tank reminded me of how bad they were.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
I went they through exactly 9 coils of three types (1.5, 0.5, 1.0 ohm) from three different boxes and vendors and they were all crap. Like exact same performance of gurgly spitting mess or super dry hits. I haven't had a dry hit since temp control became popular and this tank reminded me of how bad they were.

Well 2 out of the 3 coils I've tried have worked as expected. While it's not the greatest success rate, it's still early. :)

Had my first bad experience with my Cubis and looks like it was a dud coil...
I just had a similar experience.

Started using the Cubis with 1.5 Clapton coils (separate 5-pack), which worked good (MTL).

After going thru 2 of the Clapton coils over a month, decide to try the 1.0 SS coil.

Installed the one that came with the Cubis and it worked fine right out of the box. It was my first TC experience, so I fiddled with settings a bit the first day, eventually settling on 16 watts and 430º F. Used it fine that way for 2 weeks.

Liking it, I ordered a 5-pack of 1.0 SS coils to continue with. On arrival, I noticed they were packaged differently.

Original coils (those bundled w/Cubis & separate Clapton 5-pack) were in a black plastic tray w/clear plastic covering.

The new 1.0 SS coils were in a clear plastic tray w/silver metallic covering (logo'd).

Installed a new one yesterday - first thing I noticed was Ohms difference: 1.11 vs 1.07 on the old coil. So locked in the new ohms.

First hits were worthless, barely any vapor and no coil "sizzling". My first thoughts were it was a dud, but decided to experiment. Cranked up the settings and finally got good hits at 25 watts & 500º F. So now I'm thinking it was a changes made to the coil itself (possibly corroborated by the different packaging).

But ... over the next 2-3 hours, the hits kept getting stronger & hotter! So I began dialing it back down. By early afternoon I was back to 20 watts & 450º F where it has stabilized.

So this coil had a LONG break-in period. I don't know if they changed the internal configuration, but I will tear this (and the first SS coil) apart when I'm done with it.

Already tore a Clapton apart to see how it works. Web page here: Clapton Coil Breakdown | Cubis/Cuboid Ruminations

Rob Bacon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2015
Spokane, Washington
I just had a similar experience.

Started using the Cubis with 1.5 Clapton coils (separate 5-pack), which worked good (MTL).

After going thru 2 of the Clapton coils over a month, decide to try the 1.0 SS coil.

Installed the one that came with the Cubis and it worked fine right out of the box. It was my first TC experience, so I fiddled with settings a bit the first day, eventually settling on 16 watts and 430º F. Used it fine that way for 2 weeks.

Liking it, I ordered a 5-pack of 1.0 SS coils to continue with. On arrival, I noticed they were packaged differently.

Original coils (those bundled w/Cubis & separate Clapton 5-pack) were in a black plastic tray w/clear plastic covering.

The new 1.0 SS coils were in a clear plastic tray w/silver metallic covering (logo'd).

Installed a new one yesterday - first thing I noticed was Ohms difference: 1.11 vs 1.07 on the old coil. So locked in the new ohms.

First hits were worthless, barely any vapor and no coil "sizzling". My first thoughts were it was a dud, but decided to experiment. Cranked up the settings and finally got good hits at 25 watts & 500º F. So now I'm thinking it was a changes made to the coil itself (possibly corroborated by the different packaging).

But ... over the next 2-3 hours, the hits kept getting stronger & hotter! So I began dialing it back down. By early afternoon I was back to 20 watts & 450º F where it has stabilized.

So this coil had a LONG break-in period. I don't know if they changed the internal configuration, but I will tear this (and the first SS coil) apart when I'm done with it.

Already tore a Clapton apart to see how it works. Web page here: Clapton Coil Breakdown | Cubis/Cuboid Ruminations

This is a design deficiency/oversight. I found a cure that works for me, might help others too.

Web page here: Cubis Flood Fix | Cubis/Cuboid Ruminations
Great info!! Thank you for sharing that, it was very informative.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mav2000

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Im using this as well and for some reason I can never get the .50 ohm coil, whether prebuilt or the RBA (also prebuilt) to work well. I am an MTL user though.

They just seem to heat up very fast making them unbearable to use.

Edit: so i finally got the RBA coil to work. This is rated for 0.50 Ohms. And wow does it really give out a nice flavor. Thing is that I dont want to use it as i am an MTL type and this is more for direct lung as the airflow is a bit high for me.

So finally I have managed to get all the coils to work. And its not bad actually...

Last edited:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
This is a design deficiency/oversight. I found a cure that works for me, might help others too.

Web page here: Cubis Flood Fix | Cubis/Cuboid Ruminations

VERY interesting HooDT...

However...I think I'm finding the opposite...:shock:

I'm a MTL vaper and have only used the 1.5Ω Clapton coils.

The first couple tankfulls I used it like the Nautilus (my most recent tank) ...making sure the AFC was CLOSED before screwing on the top.

It gurgled/flooded horribly!!!

From the 3rd tank on...I made sure the AFC was OPEN before screwing on the top (but kept my index finger over the drip tip as suggested by your video).

It's now "Tootle Puffer Heaven"!!!

VERY interesting HooDT...

However...I think I'm finding the opposite...:shock:

I'm a MTL vaper and have only used the 1.5Ω Clapton coils.

The first couple tankfulls I used it like the Nautilus (my most recent tank) ...making sure the AFC was CLOSED before screwing on the top.

It gurgled/flooded horribly!!!

From the 3rd tank on...I made sure the AFC was OPEN before screwing on the top (but kept my index finger over the drip tip as suggested by your video).

It's now "Tootle Puffer Heaven"!!!

I guess whatever works is a good thing!

When I first realized that free airflow was allowing the flooding, I tried the thumb-over-driptip. It REDUCED the amount of flooding/gurgling, but did not eliminate it.

eg, with no attempt to restrict airflow, it would gurgle for the first 5-6 hits. With the driptip closed, it would still gurgle, but only for 2-3 hits (regardless of AFC "closed" or open).

Adding the O-ring eliminates the flooding completely. I'm on the 25th refill now, with ZERO flood/gurgle issues.

Have used all the coils: 1.5 Clapton, 1.0 & 0.5 SS coils. No more refill problems, but I didn't like the 0.5 coil - too much vapor for my tastes.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
I guess whatever works is a good thing!

When I first realized that free airflow was allowing the flooding, I tried the thumb-over-driptip. It REDUCED the amount of flooding/gurgling, but did not eliminate it.

eg, with no attempt to restrict airflow, it would gurgle for the first 5-6 hits. With the driptip closed, it would still gurgle, but only for 2-3 hits (regardless of AFC "closed" or open).

Adding the O-ring eliminates the flooding completely. I'm on the 25th refill now, with ZERO flood/gurgle issues.

Have used all the coils: 1.5 Clapton, 1.0 & 0.5 SS coils. No more refill problems, but I didn't like the 0.5 coil - too much vapor for my tastes.
I'm like you. I have 2 Cubis tanks and one more on the way. I've went through about 6 or 7 coils and I had one that didn't seem to work right. No dry hits, just low vapor production. Otherwise it's a great little tank and I favour the 1ohm coils and I run them in TC mode at 450 degrees and 25 watts.

No complaints here.

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
Has anyone noticed any improvement on the coils performance over the last few months? Watching a Grimmgreen video and he mentioned the Cubis coils have notch coils these days? Couldnt find any solid information online.

My issue is the rubber insulator at the base of the coil seems to put a rubber flavour into the juice. Hoping they will update the coils and use a more stable rubber for the insulator.

Thanks for any help.

emma724

Unresolved Status
May 19, 2016
  • Deleted by Misty

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
So I just got my Cubis two days ago I guess mostly because of the leak proof design like most here. And like many I've already burnt the 3 coils it came with (70/30 juice all within the recommended wattage ranges for the respective coil heads).

Got a 5 pack of the 0.5 ohm heads and did the whole careful priming thing just like the guy in the video that was posted earlier in this thread. I was getting OK performance at 27 watts then bad dry hit all of a sudden. I'm pretty sure I burnt my fourth coil with this thing.

I ordered the rba head because they claim it can go to 70 watts so I'm assuming that the wicking holes are bigger. I paid more for shipping than the actual rba head itself so this thing better pay off...

I'm a builder so I don't care if it's difficult as long as it pays off. I've really been disappointed with the horrible flavor and the dry hits that I get with this thing. The airflow is perfect to me for mouth to lung. I even cut it down sometimes. I don't care about vapor I just want good flavor. And I'm really bummed to see people already claim that even with the rba it still sucks. I can't see how bigger juice holes doesn't fix the flavor and wicking issues (if you build a good vertical coil in it).

I keep watching the big boys' reviews on the Cubis (twisted, Matt, grimmgreen, p.busardo) and i really don't get how they all got a good experience and a bunch of us are not. I don't think they would all lie about it.

Can the people who are actually having a good time with their Cubis share their tips, tricks, details of how they're using it? (Which coil head? Wattage? Juice VG percentage? Priming method?) I have been using mine for two days with no problems. Using 1.5 ohm coil with 80 VG/20 pg air flow wide open mtl. Priming put five or six drops in coil filled tank with juice assembled it and let it sit for about ten min.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread