Joyetech Cuboid displaying "Atomizer Short"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmc1284

Sep 25, 2014
USA
It is displaying "Atomizer Short" when I press the button. I replaced the atomizer with a TF-Q4 atomizer and it was working for about an hour, but now is displaying it again. I forget what atomizer I was using when it first started displaying, it was one that came with the smoktech TFV4 tank. I did notice that the cuboid was displaying .20Ω after I replaced it with the TF-Q4 which is .15Ω.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Is your firmware updated?

Check all connections, anything that screws down.

Wipe your Cuboid 510 connector and any end pins with a paper towel lightly wet with rubbing alcohol.

Just because the stock coil is rated for .15ohm doesn't mean it can't read a little higher. This is actually pretty common; it doesn't mean something is wrong with the Cuboid.

Reactions: Steven Pye

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
It is displaying "Atomizer Short" when I press the button. I replaced the atomizer with a TF-Q4 atomizer and it was working for about an hour, but now is displaying it again. I forget what atomizer I was using when it first started displaying, it was one that came with the smoktech TFV4 tank. I did notice that the cuboid was displaying .20Ω after I replaced it with the TF-Q4 which is .15Ω.
Both my cuboid and Vtc mini have failed to the atty short issue. These mods are great but very unreliable. They are my work mods and both only took minimal abuse before they no longer work. Have you ever dropped it with a tank on it? The 510 is very very very weak on those.

tmc1284

Sep 25, 2014
USA
Is your firmware updated?

Check all connections, anything that screws down.

Wipe your Cuboid 510 connector and any end pins with a paper towel lightly wet with rubbing alcohol.

Just because the stock coil is rated for .15ohm doesn't mean it can't read a little higher. This is actually pretty common; it doesn't mean something is wrong with the Cuboid.

Updating the firmware fixed it.

tmc1284

Sep 25, 2014
USA
It was working for more than a week after updating the firmware but now again displaying "Atomizer Short". I tried replacing the atomizer and that did not fix it.

Where are the end pins?

Both my cuboid and Vtc mini have failed to the atty short issue. These mods are great but very unreliable. They are my work mods and both only took minimal abuse before they no longer work. Have you ever dropped it with a tank on it? The 510 is very very very weak on those.

I have dropped it a couple times. If this is the reason it is not working can you recommend another box mod similar to the cuboid that will work well with the Smoktech TFV4 which can handle more abuse?

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I have two Cuboids. We have been using them for months now. Never updated the firmware and never had a single issue with either of them. Matter of fact, it is one of my favorite mods. Sorry to hear that others have had issues. I love my Cuboid.

eyerhere

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Warren Mi
I have had my cuboid for 4 months and loved it. Notice the past tense? a few days ago I was getting higher resistance reading and then came the short error. 5 different attys all say short. no problems on my segelli just the cuboid. I Emailed joyetech and have not gotten a response. Does any body know if they are standing behind their product? I have seen alot of posts with the same issue.

ModsAndRebuilds

May 23, 2016
UK
I've just replaced the 510 connector on my Cuboid with a Fat Daddy Vapes V4 and I'm still getting the atomizer short issue. It will work fine for a while and then it will suddenly flip out.

I'm beginning to believe it could be a problem with the chip itself. Possibly the circuit that measures the resistance (???).

I'm waiting on another FDV connector to try again on my other Cuboid to see if I get the same results.

tmc1284

Sep 25, 2014
USA
I went ahead and purchased a 2nd Cuboid because I thought the first one might have been giving me the "atomizer short" error because I had dropped it several times, but after a couple weeks I'm receiving the "atomizer short" error on the 2nd Cuboid again.

I've read that the reason for this is that the 510 connector on the Cuboid is more shallow most other mods. I was using the TFV4 tank on both Cuboids. Can someone who has had used the Cuboid for a long time without ever receiving the "atomizer short" error tell me what tank they are using?

Or if you have a lot of knowledge on tanks and their compatibility with a shallower 510 connector I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. I would prefer something that holds more than average juice. I did like the ability to fill the TFV4 with juice instead of unscrewing if every time, but I understand most tanks do not have that feature. Price is not an issue, I'm looking for the best tank that is compatible.

Angel1964

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2016
Alberta Canada
My cuboid tc mini has been working great for months until the other day. I was using kayfun clone and it worked for awhile then got the atomizer short. All my other tanks are still working fine on it. The kayfun also works on my other mods. It's an ok mod but there are better ones out there. I love my pico so much I bought another one.

Elvensilvan

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2016
Nagoya, Japan
I'm looking for the best tank that is compatible.

As @daviedog said, your atomizer is the main component in your vape gear. There are a lot of great tanks out there, just look for one that fits your preferences (and good specs like adjustable 510 connector, large tank capacity, single/dual coils or both) more than whether or not it looks good on your mod.

Also, as you said, "Price is not an issue", well, get yourself a more reliable mod as well.

:vapor:

Reactions: daviedog

Nunanimo

Jan 19, 2016
UK

Hey man, I'm pretty sure I can help you and anyone else who has this problem. But you have to be very careful doing this and it's at completely your own risk as it requires a delicate hand.

I fixed my cuboid by doing this so if you do it right you should be in business.

The 510 connector on the cuboid has most likely been pushed down too far by your RDA/Tank. You'll notice that the rubber insulator around the 510 connector is probably protruding too far up the sides of the 510 connector. The following steps will lead to minor damage of that rubber insulator (tiny o-ring).

Take the smallest flat head screwdriver you can find (the small types used for PC and cellphone repairs), and very carefully slide it into the side so it's jammed between the 510 connector and the insulator. Then use that leverage to slowly pull the 510 connector towards you and away from the o-ring. You want to do this slowly and carefully on all sides of the 510 connector so that it begins to slowly come away from the o-ring but making sure you don't break it or pull it completely out of the cuboid.

The idea is to get that 510 connector about 0.5mm away from the o-ring because it's the o-ring causing the short between the 510 connector on the Mod and the 510 pin on your tank. You want metal to metal contact without the o-ring touching your atomiser.

You will undoubtedly start to cause small cuts and dents into that o-ring but you want to keep that damage to a total minimum. Also be careful not to chip away any metal from the 510 connector as this also happened to me slightly. It might take a few tries before your shorting issue goes away but it worked for me.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like after this fix.
1af844c27ccd641d6e7667baa5616d73.jpg

EDIT:

If you can prove that you're still within warranty of the product then my advice would be to send the product back to the company that sold it to you or straight back to Joyetech (who replaced the unit completely). The way I found out that this was the issue was from a user that received a response directly from Joyetech. It's a great Mod and worked for months perfectly for me until this issue occurred. Unfortunately it's an issue with design/build quality and up until now has been the only let down for me. Still my favourite mod though and I would happily buy a new one if I had to, just being more careful with how tight I screw down my tanks.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

RoyTruax

Sep 5, 2016

I had the same issue. Initially I thought it was a bad coil. I switched it out and it worked... For a while. I then unscrewed the atomizer (a Kanger Protank 4) to discover the Cuboid contact was being pushed over and touching the threads, thus the short. This is due to the contact being too shallow. Using a small screwdriver, I straightened the contact, then placed a washer under the tank (about <1mm in thickness). This solves the issue with all my Kanger and SMOK 510 contacts. This actually resolved two issues... The short, and the fact that atomizers (other than Joye) notoriously don't fit flush on this device.

benz oliver

Nov 29, 2016
Hey man, I'm pretty sure I can help you and anyone else who has this problem. But you have to be very careful doing this and it's at completely your own risk as it requires a delicate hand.

I fixed my cuboid by doing this so if you do it right you should be in business.

The 510 connector on the cuboid has most likely been pushed down too far by your RDA/Tank. You'll notice that the rubber insulator around the 510 connector is probably protruding too far up the sides of the 510 connector. The following steps will lead to minor damage of that rubber insulator (tiny o-ring).

Take the smallest flat head screwdriver you can find (the small types used for PC and cellphone repairs), and very carefully slide it into the side so it's jammed between the 510 connector and the insulator. Then use that leverage to slowly pull the 510 connector towards you and away from the o-ring. You want to do this slowly and carefully on all sides of the 510 connector so that it begins to slowly come away from the o-ring but making sure you don't break it or pull it completely out of the cuboid.

The idea is to get that 510 connector about 0.5mm away from the o-ring because it's the o-ring causing the short between the 510 connector on the Mod and the 510 pin on your tank. You want metal to metal contact without the o-ring touching your atomiser.

You will undoubtedly start to cause small cuts and dents into that o-ring but you want to keep that damage to a total minimum. Also be careful not to chip away any metal from the 510 connector as this also happened to me slightly. It might take a few tries before your shorting issue goes away but it worked for me.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like after this fix.
1af844c27ccd641d6e7667baa5616d73.jpg

EDIT:

If you can prove that you're still within warranty of the product then my advice would be to send the product back to the company that sold it to you or straight back to Joyetech (who replaced the unit completely). The way I found out that this was the issue was from a user that received a response directly from Joyetech. It's a great Mod and worked for months perfectly for me until this issue occurred. Unfortunately it's an issue with design/build quality and up until now has been the only let down for me. Still my favourite mod though and I would happily buy a new one if I had to, just being more careful with how tight I screw down my tanks.

Good Luck!
Hey Bro . I just carefully read and follow your instructions and it totally worked for my cuboid 150w which trouble is FCKIN automizer short . HAHA .Thank you so much for this .I appreciate it. My cuboid works fine again .

Reactions: Nunanimo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread