Joyetech eGrip - I am loving this thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I'm super frustrated with my eGrips right now. Which sucks, because I had been pretty sure that they were the ideal vape for me. I'd even said so to my husband…like, something new is going to have to be pretty special to convince me to buy it because I'm so happy with my eGrips.

And then. They both have started leaking like nobody's business, around the edges at the bottom where the metal joins the wooden finished part. After I fill them it's nothing but juice hands for at least an hour, and then it tapers off. I tried everything I could think of, cleaning the inside of the screw on part thoroughly before I screwed the rba head in, tightening the body screws again, even sticking a rolled up paper towel up in the airflow screw hole while filling. I even tried underfilling. It does it regardless of whether or not I take the head out to fill from the bottom or whether I use the juice port in the side.

And then, the rubber washer that is on top of the rba head in eGrip #1 somehow got stuck onto the metal tube that runs through the middle of the tank. Like, it came completely off the rba head and got worked down onto the metal and is stuck there. I have tried several hours worth of trying to work it back up and out with no luck; it gets caught on the edge of the rubber seal where the juice port is and won't go up any further. I gave up and just pushed it all the way to the bottom…but the replacement parts that came with the rba head did not include another washer that size, so now I pretty much have one usable rba head because without the washer the head won't seat properly. So, I have to switch my one rba head that works from one unit to the next when I run the battery down, and screw the unusable one into the one that is charging while making sure I've got a paper towel wrapped around it while it charges because otherwise juice leaks out the bottom airflow hole.

And for about two days, no matter what I do, every second hit is a nasty burnt dry hit. I haven't changed anything in my method of wicking, the coil is clean and brand new and runs at 1.3ohms. It does not matter if I adjust the wattage. I even drilled out the juice holes in the head some, but that isn't doing anything at all. I have NO IDEA why this is suddenly becoming an issue. It's almost like all of a sudden, both units have decided to run too hot. It's not the juice, because I've been using the same juice for over a month now.

No matter what device I use for vaping, it seems like they work great for a month or two and then start to suck. Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else having this frustrating experience? I thought the eGrip was the perfect fill and go simple vape, but now I'm not sure and that is really disappointing.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
So strange! I'd also read where someone used a seal from a regular head. Are you stuffing a tiny bit of extra cotton in where the other holes aren't covered by the wick? That works for me to stop leaking. But drilling out the juice holes would likely make them too big and allow even more leaking.

I did have one where I just had to replace the coil. Somehow it must have been heating unevenly, because I was also getting dry hits. A new coil solved that. Have you tried replacing the coil?

When I had that piece caught on the tube I was able to go in with a very pointy set of tweezers through the fill hole and get it out.

It started leaking before the ring came off…it has been leaking a little bit around the edges of where the metal attaches to the wood colored body from the get go, though for a while I had tightened up the two screws on the bottom and it stopped, it has started getting worse in the last few weeks. It isn't leaking through the airflow on the bottom of the rba, though. My stock head which came with it does not have a washer on it, unfortunately. And my washer is stuck too far down to access it through the side juice port…that is what it gets hung on when I try to fish it out with my tweezers, the silicone that is around the edges of where the port connects.

I just re-coiled and re-wicked yesterday, because I thought that might help, but so far still dry hits. I'm going to fiddle with it some more tonight and see what happens.

MrSparkle

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Chicagoland
Blue, rather than frustrate yourself and try to troubleshoot or stop the leaking from the body... contact whoever you bought your eGrips from (if they weren't from Cignot). If I'm not mistaken, if they are an authorized Joyetech distributor, they should be able to just swap out units that are still under warranty. Vicky might be able to shed some light on that when she pops in here again.

I can see a tiny drip from an eGrip RBA air intake - indeed, it's happening to me on occasion now, but definitely traceable to condensation more than anything - but the leaking you're describing from the body shouldn't be happening at all.

I can't speak to the dry hit issue re-materializing, but with all the extraneous leaking, it would sound like a juice flow problem making that worse - weren't you describing the leaking from the body a while back? It sounds like juice is getting everywhere but the coil, which could explain things. If the tank seals are not right (which is my guess), I'm wondering if that's not affecting flow - the vacuum behind the juice emptying isn't slowing things down like it should, and gravity's taking its toll.

And Joyetech would do well to offer like a 5-pack of each seal everywhere on the eGrip for like $1-$1.50 or something, or a seal kit with one of each for a little more. I've been noticing unboxing vids on Youtube where some kits have spares for the fill hatch seal thrown in, and others don't (mine didn't, but I bought only one kit - eGrip #2 I bought just the body, which only comes with the user manual and the warranty card). And it is a bit odd that in the RBA box, they throw in 3 of the base o-ring seals themselves, but no spares for that flat washer-shaped top seal.

Re: Cignot customer service - I have the luxury of having 2 of their B&Ms within a short drive, one just 10-15 mins away, so I've bought all my stuff in person. Their people are super cool and knowledgeable - basically the complete opposite of all I read about other B&Ms.

I've also had a short convo with Vicky in person, and it's easy to see why her business shines - it's very apparent she's in the business as a people person dedicated to helping people quit smoking, and not as a money / get rich quick person, or as an esoteric vape freak (which sounds like every other hole-in-the-wall B&M I read about on here).

Sounds corny, but when the people shine, the business shines. :)

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Bluecanary, so sorry you are having a hard time. I understand and have experienced a lot of the same things...
For tge washer, you can use one from the regular coil heads. Leaking can be so many things. Have you done a 'leak' search on this thread? Lots of ideas here and in this thread too... lots of nice people who can and will help any way they can... wish I had more advice but I am still figuring this mod out too. Good luck!
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ion/613559-new-joyetech-20watt-egrip-188.html

bloodyrune

Jan 29, 2015
The usb socket location was annoying me for long. I have decided to make a charging stand for egrip and sharing the pictures here.
Things you may need;
hot glue gun
drill
8mm bit for cable canal
12mm bit for usb socket hole
a slice of log or practically any other material to use as a stand.

Simply drill a hole for usb socket, add a cable canal, connect the cable to egrip through the hole and let egrip stand. Use glue to fill around usb jack, let it cool and disconnect egrip. Fill top of hole too and cable canal. Thats all.

sss.jpg

Big picture:
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29fypgk.jpg

Last edited:

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Wondering if anyone else has the chrome flaking off the RBA head on there Egrip? Love the Egrip, but not at all happy about this. I'll take some pics next time I take it apart. Only a couple tanks through it, and no nasty juice, kinda looks like I'll be retiring my Egrip, at least the RBA head.

Would be very interested in seeing pictures. Sorry that has happened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Would be very interested in seeing pictures. Sorry that has happened!

Kind of figured that it really wasn't the best idea to post about it, without pics! Pulled it apart, a little difficult to see, but the camera images have made up my mind, it has begun to flake quite badly, and the idea of inhaling bits of chrome really doesn't appeal to me. Seems to be a pretty poor job on the plating, only a minimal amount of use, and nothing worse then a little Nicoticket GCD run in it.

I did do some light rubbing on it with paper towel, initially I thought maybe it was just a little discolored from juice, then I saw bits of shiny flecks on my finger tip. Also could be my lighting, but a substantial portion of the inside, and center pin seems to be starting to have a bit of a golden hue to it, like the plating is thinning.

I've also decided to contact the place I purchased it to see if Joyetech will stand behind it.

XPFRmb3.jpg

HYm8UvL.jpg

4II07D9.jpg

Last edited:

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Kind of figured that it really wasn't the best idea to post about it, without pics! Pulled it apart, a little difficult to see, but the camera images have made up my mind, it has begun to flake quite badly, and the idea of inhaling bits of chrome really doesn't appeal to me. Seems to be a pretty poor job on the plating, only a minimal amount of use, and nothing worse then a little Nicoticket GCD run in it.

I did do some light rubbing on it with paper towel, initially I thought maybe it was just a little discolored from juice, then I saw bits of shiny flecks on my finger tip. Also could be my lighting, but a substantial portion of the inside, and center pin seems to be starting to have a bit of a golden hue to it, like the plating is thinning.

I've also decided to contact the place I purchased it to see if Joyetech will stand behind it.

XPFRmb3.jpg

HYm8UvL.jpg

4II07D9.jpg

Thank you for posting!

bloodyrune

Jan 29, 2015
Wondering if anyone else has the chrome flaking off the RBA head on there Egrip? Love the Egrip, but not at all happy about this. I'll take some pics next time I take it apart. Only a couple tanks through it, and no nasty juice, kinda looks like I'll be retiring my Egrip, at least the RBA head.

I remember seeing it happened to others on forum, it can be a cloned rba imo. Same with the wrong alligned holes. I have bought 6 rba's so far,2 for myself and 4 for friends and no problems. Using my current rba for 2+ months now, 2-3 tanks a day with various juices (mostly ave boba's) and still looks same inside, plating is intact. Maybe you will try getting one more rba head from joyetech or an official reseller (screws worn out after 2 months but thats probably why they are putting 4-5 spares inside).

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
I remember seeing it happened to others on forum, it can be a cloned rba imo. Same with the wrong alligned holes. I have bought 6 rba's so far,2 for myself and 4 for friends and no problems. Using my current rba for 2+ months now, 2-3 tanks a day with various juices (mostly ave boba's) and still looks same inside, plating is intact. Maybe you will try getting one more rba head from joyetech or an official reseller (screws worn out after 2 months but thats probably why they are putting 4-5 spares inside).

Not a clone, and the vendor said they would send me a replacement, given the poor plating job on this one I'll be very critical of the replacement.

They aren't cloned, Joyetech uses chrome plated brass. Some just wear out faster than others.

While mine turns out to be authenticated, and personally I doubt they've been cloned, it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think "wearing out" is a good description for this poorly plated part. This failure was, just that, "FAIL", defective, not properly prepped for plating, not real sure on the why. Even if this had been subjected to daily use for months it should not fail as it did, let alone maybe 6ml of juice ran through it over a couple months time.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
I'd say using chrome plated brass in the first place was a "FAIL" on Joyetech's part.

Won't get any argument from me on that point, unfortunately it is profit before safety. I would happily pay a bit more for a SS version of this. Even if the plating holds up on the replacement I'm not exactly pleased by the plated brass. It would not have been that much more to make it stainless.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Won't get any argument from me on that point, unfortunately it is profit before safety. I would happily pay a bit more for a SS version of this. Even if the plating holds up on the replacement I'm not exactly pleased by the plated brass. It would not have been that much more to make it stainless.
stainless is a pain to fabricate. I see nothing wrong with unplated brass. Brass instrument mouth peices are brass. I blew into one of those for years. There are a number of shiny materials used for plating. I believe my instrument mouth peices were plated with nickel or some variation. There may or may not be any health implcation to the wear in the photo.

I've wondered why we can't get a side by side mod that allows using a tank of the customers choice.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
stainless is a pain to fabricate. I see nothing wrong with unplated brass. Brass instrument mouth peices are brass. I blew into one of those for years. There are a number of shiny materials used for plating. I believe my instrument mouth peices were plated with nickel or some variation. There may or may not be any health implcation to the wear in the photo.

I've wondered why we can't get a side by side mod that allows using a tank of the customers choice.

There are plenty of side by side mods allowing other tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread