Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I bought a joyetech Cuboid (the original dual-cell version) as soon as it was released to upgrade from my iTaste MVP 3.0 Pro. I had been very happy with the Cuboid, especially after I found and installed ClockSelect's myevic firmware, which greatly improves its feature-set and customization. But after almost a year and a half of extremely hard use, my Cuboid was definitely showing its age. Everything still works just fine, but the nearly countless dings, scratches, and chips in the finish made it look beat to hell and back.

So I decided to pick up a new dual-cell mod, which would be my main device, while my Cuboid would be downgraded to backup and "beater" duty. But I had a fairly specific list of preferences:

• Has to fit 24 mm atomizers with zero overhang. Being able to fit 25 mm atomizers is a plus.
  • Slim, in order to easily fit in a pocket (no "triangular" shape like the Smoant Battlestar)
  • Simple and "clean" look with no weird cutouts or insignias
  • Maximum voltage of at least 8 V in order to be able to run ~1 ohm coils at more than 60 watts
  • Physical buttons (no touchscreen), and a traditional fire button, not a "squeeze fire", is a plus
  • Able to run ClockSelect's myevic or ArcticFox firmware is a definite plus, but would be satisfied as long as it had a percentage-based preheat or power curve function (so you don't have to set a new preheat value when you switch to a coil that needs to be run at a different wattage)
  • No ridiculously low 25-amp output limit like the Cuboid
  • Cost of under $100

The eVic Primo 2.0 is (as far as I know) the only mod which meets all of my criteria. Since I vape exclusively with RDA's and RTA's, I would have preferred if it was currently available from US-based suppliers by itself and not as a kit with a subohm tank, but at $60 for the mod and Unimax 2 tank, I can't complain much. It will probably eventually be available without the tank for around $50.

I chose the Black/Grey version. The grey is a very dark grey, quite a bit darker than I expected from the photos. I would have liked it to be a lighter shade, closer to a "space grey" iPhone. But it still looks good. It has exactly the simple and "clean" design that I was looking for. Some have described it as looking boring and plain, but I think it is rather elegant. The build quality is great, with no gaps or rattles. The battery door feels a bit loose without batteries installed, but once you put batteries in, it tightens up dramatically. Even without batteries it doesn't rattle, though.

Compared to my Cuboid, it is much shorter, much longer, and a bit thinner at its widest point. 24 mm and 25 mm atomizers fit great with no overhang. The width tapers down slightly towards the side opposite to the 510 connection, which makes it fairly comfortable to hold despite the extra length. It is definitely more comfortable to hold with the tapered end between your thumb and index finger (and using your index finger to fire). Holding it the opposite way and using your thumb to fire, it's a bit less comfortable, but not too bad. It is noticeably lighter than the Cuboid (157 g versus 206 g), but still feels nice and solid.

The 510 connection. That horrible, horrible Joyetech / Wismec 510 connection that either shorts itself out from being too shallow, or has the threads completely separate from the mod because of poor press-fitting. Honestly, I haven't had a single problem with my Cuboid's 510 connection, and I never babied things. But the 510 connection on the eVic Primo 2.0 is much, much deeper with more threads, and the positive pin has a lot more spring travel. Atomizers which needed only three full turns to attach to the Cuboid take over 6 full turns to attach to the eVic Primo 2.0. It doesn't have the four airflow cutouts, so if you are still using an old atomizer which takes air through the 510 connection itself, it won't work. But I haven't seen an atomizer like that in years.

Every atomizer I have tried screws down flush with little to no resistance, regardless of how far the positive pin protrudes. Because of the much increased depth, threading, and positive pin travel, I'm confident that the 510 connection won't cause me any issues.

Functionality-wise, it's the same as the (many) other Joyetech and Wismec mods which use the same chip. It is pretty basic but gets the job done. There is a preheat function, but it is wattage-based, not percentage-based, so its usefulness is fairly limited. But the latest release of the ArcticFox firmware supports the eVic Primo 2.0, which changes everything. Features and customizability are greatly increased, almost to the level of DNA-based mods. Percentage-based preheat and power curves, custom battery discharge profiles, custom TFR curves, profiles (which are automatically selected based on coil resistance), PI-regulated temperature control, it's all there, along with a lot, lot more.

And instead of just a single editable info line that can only be switched between output amperage, puff count, and puff time, every info line is editable with a long list of options. There is a new skin available, called "Foxy", which greatly increases the amount of information displayed, and looks quite awesome:

arcticfox-foxy-ui.png

The low 25-amp output limit on the Cuboid meant that it could only reach 200 watts in a very narrow resistance range (0.32 - 0.40 ohms). But the eVic Primo 2.0's output limit is 50 amps, so it can reach 200 watts with a coil resistance anywhere from 0.10 - 0.40 ohms (and the full 228 watts from 0.10 - 0.35 ohms). And the 9 volt limit allows it to reach 100 watts with resistances as high as 0.81 ohms. These are pretty generous limits, and I don't think you will get any better without going to a 3-cell mod.

The screen is the same bright and crisp ~1" OLED display that you see on so many other Joyetech and Wismec mods. However, on the eVic Primo 2.0, the screen is not set back as far as it is on the Cuboid (there is less space between the clear plastic cover and the actual screen behind it). It also has a white tint instead of the light blue tint on the Cuboid. Combined, these make the already excellent Cuboid screen look even better on the eVic Primo 2.0, although this may be in part due to wear and small scratches on my Cuboid's screen cover affecting its clarity. The screen is placed on the side with the fire and regulatory buttons, unlike the Cuboid, which has its screen and regulatory buttons placed on the front. Neither placement is really "better" than the other, but I find myself constantly looking for the screen and reaching for the regulatory buttons on the front of the Primo, since I am so accustomed to the Cuboid. It's just going to take some time to break that habit.

It should be obvious by now that I am rather impressed with the eVic Primo 2.0. It is certainly not perfect -- I gladly would trade a few millimeters of extra height in order for less length. I definitely would have preferred a lighter grey color than the near-black grey. But these are only minor quibbles. It is a nice upgrade from the Cuboid that I had been happy with for the last ~18 months. The ability to use the ArcticFox firmware means that it is all but untouchable with regards to performance and flexibility, at least not compared to anything anywhere near the same price point. It was definitely the right choice based on my needs and preferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: dobroeutro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread