Status
Not open for further replies.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Yep I agree, the Vaporesso was my favourite mod until the Penguin came along. What I like most about the Penguin it the ability to get spare tank cartridges and fill em up and take with you and you do not have to mess about in the car trying to top up your tank just pop in another tank cartridge with a pre installed coil and away you vape. Great idea IMHO. I must have a wee chuckle though, these being sub ohm units, a friend that used to vape 18mg nic put it in the Penguin and oh brother did he not get a bit of a nic OD. PMSL.....6mg 70VG 30PG mix does me well. I would not go higher in nic content in these units. The other thing I have noticed that using an Ultrasonic cleaner you can clean these coils reasonably well and extend their life span as well.
I have a nice little stock pile to put in the US cleaner but haven't yet gotten around to it. Nice to know that that is an option! :) I agree about the cartridges. I have a couple more of them coming for my original Penguin and I already ordered an extra tank for the SE, which is still in transit. I am curious as to how the pink cartridge will look in the white Penguin. :D

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
The cotton adjustment tricks have been going on since day one with the penguin's. People either pull a majority of the cotton up the juice channel or poke holes. I've tried all them the first week or so the device was released and it helped with some coils. Hell, i even started to rebuild and run my own coils in the ceramic housings. (see below or back to about pg 10 of this thread) Regardless of what you do i believe wicking is limited by the design of the coil. It is only absorbing liquid from one side of the coil (the top) and if you continue to vape the juice in the bottom portion of the coil WILL vaporize and the cotton WILL dry out. The "new" liquid being pulled in via gravity and slight vacuum will hit the top of the coil first (for the most part) and most of it will be vaporized before it even makes it to the bottom half of the coil. That dry-ish cotton at the bottom will get ever drier. That's why almost all penguin coils (in my experience with about 30 vaped and dissected) will show the majority if not all the discoloration at the bottom of the coil. Little juice getting down there. It's a poor design unfortunately.
SZlpejc.jpg
LOL, I think trying to re wick these tiny morsels even for an old hand like me would be tiresome.:eek::pop: I have enough fun with my OBS engines and with these I think I will leave well enough alone. Micro Surgery was never my forte and at my age now I think I would need a microscope to work on these. Good luck and have fun doing it.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
LOL, I think trying to re wick these tiny morsels even for an old hand like me would be tiresome.:eek::pop: I have enough fun with my OBS engines and with these I think I will leave well enough alone. Micro Surgery was never my forte and at my age now I think I would need a microscope to work on these. Good luck and have fun doing it.
Yeah, one attempt was enough to convince me that I didnt want to do THAT anymore.

Sheilita

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Portugal
That's where I got the ones for the kids! Only place that has them actually in stock. They need theirs by the end of the month because they want something relatively leak-free to take to Hawaii. So they will get theirs before I get mine but at least I will get to see it! :) I hope you get yours quickly, too. How long does shipping take from China to Portugal?
And??? do you already have your penguins?

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
And??? do you already have your penguins?
I do! Finally! Mine came in yesterday. I love it. It's so light and comfortable. I was worried that it being lighter meant that it would feel cheap but it doesn't, and with the pink tank there is NO question as to the juice level. I can see it in the window and also in the back of the tank which is really going to help me avoid firing the coil on a dry tank. The .25 coil that came with it runs perfectly. My last few coils have all been great, so I am hoping that Joyetech has fixed the quality control issue with them. I can't say for sure, but I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

I wish I could show off the blue one, too, but I haven't opened the kids' boxes. I am giving them their blue and pink ones tonight so maybe my son in law will send me a pic of his and I will post it, too. Until then, though, here's a pic of mine with my granddog, Bella, and also one that shows how easy ti is to see the juice with this lighter-colored tank. :)

Penguin Bella.PNG
Penguin juice window.PNG

Sheilita

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Portugal
I do! Finally! Mine came in yesterday. I love it. It's so light and comfortable. I was worried that it being lighter meant that it would feel cheap but it doesn't, and with the pink tank there is NO question as to the juice level. I can see it in the window and also in the back of the tank which is really going to help me avoid firing the coil on a dry tank. The .25 coil that came with it runs perfectly. My last few coils have all been great, so I am hoping that Joyetech has fixed the quality control issue with them. I can't say for sure, but I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

I wish I could show off the blue one, too, but I haven't opened the kids' boxes. I am giving them their blue and pink ones tonight so maybe my son in law will send me a pic of his and I will post it, too. Until then, though, here's a pic of mine with my granddog, Bella, and also one that shows how easy ti is to see the juice with this lighter-colored tank. :)

View attachment 683777 View attachment 683779
Pink Penguin? Hihihi I only had eyes for you cute dog:wub:. But serious the pink one is:banana:. I am still waiting for the pink and purple one:confused:. Also much better then you can see the liquid. Question do you have sometimes that the coil is leaking a bit? I had it a couple of times. Not really a big problem though. Because I am still love my Penguin:D. Maybe the coils I order from Ali are sometimes not good? What is your experience about the coils?
And would love to see the blue one too and your doggie :hubba:

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Pink Penguin? Hihihi I only had eyes for you cute dog:wub:. But serious the pink one is:banana:. I am still waiting for the pink and purple one:confused:. Also much better then you can see the liquid. Question do you have sometimes that the coil is leaking a bit? I had it a couple of times. Not really a big problem though. Because I am still love my Penguin:D. Maybe the coils I order from Ali are sometimes not good? What is your experience about the coils?
And would love to see the blue one too and your doggie :hubba:
Oooh I can't wait to see the purple one!! I will post the blue one for sure as soon as I can. I love the marbled look of the purple and the gray one Mike posted, and I really love that the new tanks are lighter so you can see the juice more easily.

I have had a little leakage issue with mine, but I overheated 2 of my tanks and created a warp in them so I was thinking that was why I was getting leakage. Well, not leakage, exactly. More like condensation buildup? It was never enough to affect the performance and I was able to just wipe it out with a napkin most of the time. Only one time did I get an actual leak. I had not put the coil back into the pod firmly enough. It made a little mess inside the mod, but I didn't even know about it until I pulled the tank out!

There have definitely been some quality issues with the coils. I had a few of them that didn't perform well, but recently all of them have been great. I am hoping there was a bad run on them but that Joyetech has now fixed that. Fingers crossed!! :)

My little granddog has to go home today. I am so sad! She is just the sweetest. :) I will see if I can get my son in law to open his blue Penguin when I drop her off and maybe I can get a picture of it with Bella, too! :)

cnaldv

Sep 8, 2017
A few thoughts:
  • Chain vaping increases the need for good juice flow, and it also increases the temp. Maybe try two penguins and rotate them between hits. These things are not known for good juice flow.
  • Juice can still matter. If there is a lot of sweetener in your juice it will unconditionally clog your coil faster.l Just because the same juice worked in another atty doesnt really prove much, these coils are different than most. I run unflavored in mine. Unflavored reduces the gunk build up on any coil.
  • If you scroll up you will see the 50% airflow restriction I did, and others as well. The advantage to this quick and easy mod is that it helps pull the juice into the coil. I am going a week on a .6 coil now, and no noticeable decrease in performance. I dont chain vape often though, and seldom more than 2-3 hits when I do.
Think i finally figured this out!
When adding a few drops to the coil pack allow for 4 or 5 drops. Then create a plunger vacuum by covering the botton coil hole and use the syrindge dropper to apply a few more drops and pump the syringe while holding the bottom hole with your finger. It works like a clogged drain and the pumping will throw the juice all over the cotton amd coil inside the white coil pack. Clean up any extra juice on the coil pack and give it a go. It saturated my coil quickly and no waiting amd no burned flavor. I dont think the coil will ever wick propperly unless its douched out heavily. Good luck hope this helps

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Think i finally figured this out!
When adding a few drops to the coil pack allow for 4 or 5 drops. Then create a plunger vacuum by covering the botton coil hole and use the syrindge dropper to apply a few more drops and pump the syringe while holding the bottom hole with your finger. It works like a clogged drain and the pumping will throw the juice all over the cotton amd coil inside the white coil pack. Clean up any extra juice on the coil pack and give it a go. It saturated my coil quickly and no waiting amd no burned flavor. I dont think the coil will ever wick propperly unless its douched out heavily. Good luck hope this helps
Great tip! I have come to the same conclusion. It seems that if you can get the coil good and saturated before you attempt to vape on it, it prevents that dreaded initial dry hit that totally kills the Penguin coil. I haven't had any problems at all with my last 4 coils (well, 2 were mine and 2 were my daughter and son-in-law's Penguins) and I am convinced it's because I made sure the coil was really well primed. Thank you for sharing! :)

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Great tip! I have come to the same conclusion. It seems that if you can get the coil good and saturated before you attempt to vape on it, it prevents that dreaded initial dry hit that totally kills the Penguin coil. I haven't had any problems at all with my last 4 coils (well, 2 were mine and 2 were my daughter and son-in-law's Penguins) and I am convinced it's because I made sure the coil was really well primed. Thank you for sharing! :)

How are your daughter and son in law liking the Penguin?

Reactions: cooladdict

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
They both love them! I still haven't gotten the picture of the blue one from my son in law. I need to text him and have him send it. :)
That was so nice of you to do that! The Penguin is a great device, my hubby still uses mine and while he does dual use- at least he is vaping! He says he really likes the Penguin- he really wants a black one, so maybe I will get him the newer style in black and I can get my white one back!

Reactions: mikepetro

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I am loving the Grey one, I think the purple looks pretty snazzy too. I have a blue one on the way, but I like the grey a lot.

The Pink and the purple are for my GF. We will see how well they go over. She just about panicked when I told her I was bringing her new mods to try out, she gets a little paternal over her vape gear.

20170913_185041.jpg

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
I am loving the Grey one, I think the purple looks pretty snazzy too. I have a blue one on the way, but I like the grey a lot.

The Pink and the purple are for my GF. We will see how well they go over. She just about panicked when I told her I was bringing her new mods to try out, she gets a little paternal over her vape gear.

20170913_185041.jpg
I am loving the purple and gray! Very nice!

Reactions: mikepetro

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Does anyone know the voltage when the battery is fully charged?
4.2v theoretically.

But it doesnt make sense because they advertise it as a 50w mod, but that doesnt compute with either of the coils they offer.

I will dissect one Sunday evening after I get my white one back, it doesnt thrill me as much as the color so if I destroy it in the process I dont mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnapDragon NY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread