Status
Not open for further replies.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I agree, I found the .25 to be hot, harsh and dry. But on the other hand I found the .6 to be an excellent vape.
I just got my replacement .25 coils today and I haven't had any trouble with this one. I think my first one (the one that came with the Penguin) was a dud or something. This one wicked perfectly. No dry hits and it's not hot at all. I am LOVING the flavor and vapor!! I'n vaping my DIY peanut butter/banana juice (max VG) thinned down with some max PG PB/banana I accidentally ordered a while back ago. I think I'm probably at about 50/50 with this mix and it's just perfect for this mod. I'm wondering if maybe your coil might be bad?

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
I just got my replacement .25 coils today and I haven't had any trouble with this one. I think my first one (the one that came with the Penguin) was a dud or something. This one wicked perfectly. No dry hits and it's not hot at all. I am LOVING the flavor and vapor!! I'n vaping my DIY peanut butter/banana juice (max VG) thinned down with some max PG PB/banana I accidentally ordered a while back ago. I think I'm probably at about 50/50 with this mix and it's just perfect for this mod. I'm wondering if maybe your coil might be bad?
I haven't given up on the .25, but the first cartridge I found to be warm. Do the coils need a break in period?

Reactions: cooladdict

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I haven't given up on the .25, but the first cartridge I found to be warm. Do the coils need a break in period?
Maybe a short one. I started vaping on this one about 5 minutes after I primed it and installed it and I got that "new coil" taste for the first few puffs but after that it's been great. It hasn't gotten dry or hot at all.

GPC2012

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Reedley Ca
I was thinking it would be good for traveling, too! I wonder if it's as leak-proof as it looks. I really like the shape.
Hey Cool, I won one off of Heavens Gifts, wifey just loves it with the 0.25 DL coils, the MTL's are way too tight for her or me. I was using it right after we got it one evening very late (watching tv and vaping in bed) I feel asleep and in the morning the poor penguin was under me. It was not harmed in any way and better yet didn't leak at all. Sadly right now it's been sidelined because "My Vapor Store" screwed up and sent the MTL coils by mistake and won't take care of the mistake without me paying to send them back. Anyway I/we love it.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Hey Cool, I won one off of Heavens Gifts, wifey just loves it with the 0.25 DL coils, the MTL's are way too tight for her or me. I was using it right after we got it one evening very late (watching tv and vaping in bed) I feel asleep and in the morning the poor penguin was under me. It was not harmed in any way and better yet didn't leak at all. Sadly right now it's been sidelined because "My Vapor Store" screwed up and sent the MTL coils by mistake and won't take care of the mistake without me paying to send them back. Anyway I/we love it.

I like the .25 Ω coils myself- but hubby prefers the .6Ω ! I won the Penguin from Heaven Gifts too- and hubby stole it from me!- That is OK with with me as I have been trying to get him away from cigarettes by vaping like me and I have many mods and tanks, but may buy another Penguin since I like this more that I thought I would, great for throwing in a pocket and run errands!
Eciggity sells the coils too!Joyetech ATOPACK Penguin Coils (5 Pack)

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I'm really tempted to get this, but the dry hits do sound like an issue. I saw one youtuber say that you need to take long hits to keep the coil saturated, and they said that shorter hits is what was causing it at first for him. Just something to try.

Joyetech has such a sorted history with their coils....ack, I'm on the fence. Can anyone compare the flavor of the .6 coil to a similar tank/coil experience? I remember everyone liking the Cubis when it first came out, but I couldn't even vape it. I think I've turned into a bit of a flavor snob, despite my best efforts :/

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
I have yet not experienced a dry hit with either coil, the .6 or the .25. Every once in a while I will put my finger over the air hole and give it a pull (no power), this may keep the coil wet. If anything the flavor in my opinion is strong and full of flavor, in fact I'm thinking about reducing my flavor concentrate in my mixes (diy)

Last edited:

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Flavor? My Penguin with the .6 coil cannot even come close to my Kabuki tank. I really want to love this Penguin, it holds a lot of juice, produces a decent volume of vapor, it's lightweight, it doesn't leak, and there's no spitting. But the flavor is definitely muted in comparison to the Kabuki with the Nautilus coil.

As for dry hits, priming is a factor. I was having dry hits with the first couple of coils, but saturating the wick before installing the coil seems to have taken care of that problem.

3daysNcounting

Apr 25, 2017
Flavor? My Penguin with the .6 coil cannot even come close to my Kabuki tank. I really want to love this Penguin, it holds a lot of juice, produces a decent volume of vapor, it's lightweight, it doesn't leak, and there's no spitting. But the flavor is definitely muted in comparison to the Kabuki with the Nautilus coil.

As for dry hits, priming is a factor. I was having dry hits with the first couple of coils, but saturating the wick before installing the coil seems to have taken care of that problem.

I agree with your thoughts concerning the flavor or lack there of... New to this side of vaping because everything I have are either small pod mods (Phix, Rock) or a couple others (iCare, mi-one). Low wattage stuff...

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
I got some replacement p.25 coils and these are working sooo much better. I either got a bad coil with my original unit or I burned it out immediately, because this new coil is outstanding. I primed it really well and it tastes much better without a hint of dry hits, even while chain vaping. It did take about a dozen drags to break in, but after that the flavor and vapor have been just great. I'm seriously considering getting a few more of these, but I need to see how long this coil lasts before investing in more.

unkuser

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
New Yawk
I received the Penguin and so far I like the vape. There has been a lot of reviews already about the product, but I would like to share my opinions (good or bad).

1. Wish it was smaller. If they could shrink the product or make a mini version it would be nicer to hold. I would rather have a portable 4ml device.
  2. Using the 0.25Ohm the vapor is warm and flavor is good. A lot of vapor though. (I am not a cloud chaser).
  3. It's very convenient. It will be my main device for the next few weeks. I am using the FITT by Envii.
  4. No leaking so far. Easy to refill. Pods and coils are cheap, no need to rebuild.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I received the Penguin and so far I like the vape. There has been a lot of reviews already about the product, but I would like to share my opinions (good or bad).

1. Wish it was smaller. If they could shrink the product or make a mini version it would be nicer to hold. I would rather have a portable 4ml device.
  2. Using the 0.25Ohm the vapor is warm and flavor is good. A lot of vapor though. (I am not a cloud chaser).
  3. It's very convenient. It will be my main device for the next few weeks. I am using the FITT by Envii.
  4. No leaking so far. Easy to refill. Pods and coils are cheap, no need to rebuild.
They do make a TPD version of the Penguin, only holds 2 mls. I am not sure if the whole unit is smaller though.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
They do make a TPD version of the Penguin, only holds 2 mls. I am not sure if the whole unit is smaller though.

Nope, just the pod is smaller.

Well, not smaller. It looks like there's a plug or something in the pod that reduces the available fillable space.

Has anybody else run into burnt coils with these? I've googled the issue and nobody is talking about it. I received this on Friday and I have been getting the worst burnt taste. Reminds me of the pre-temp control days. Its like running an old mech mod with an RDA that has a hot coil lead. I look down into the coil here and all i could see was black. The top-side where the juice feeds is white, but the bottom looked bad. I'm about ready to toss this is the garbage already.

It was awful. Other than that the device is pretty impressive. To confirm, yes, I primed the coil directly and then inserted it into the tank and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. I vaped on it for 3 days with no issue. I did change a juice, but both were the same PG/VG ratio. I'll try dennism's suggestion. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread