Just a theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

desk1%

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Laughlin, NV
After rebuilding coil heads for my wife today I had a though. She complains that the rebuilt coil heads have an odd taste compared to the ready-built bubble packed ones she orders. When I was still using the evod I had the same problem. I use an Igo-W rda with the same wick I rebuild her coil heads with and have not noticed any bad flavor. So here's my theory, handling the wick as much as it takes to rebuild a head compared to recoiling an rda can and will rub off body oils causing a foul flavor. If anyone has any theory's on how to test this, I'm all ears.

X6X8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Paris, Tx, USA
This is just a guess on my part, but I believe that the odd taste might be machine oil used as a lubricant when pulling the wire through ever smaller dies in the manufacturing process of the wire. I noticed this odd taste after doing my first couple of coil rebuilds. I then started running my wire through a flame for several passes, getting the wire cherry red each time, to burn off the oil. Then I would build the coil. No bad taste after that.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
This is just a guess on my part, but I believe that the odd taste might be machine oil used as a lubricant when pulling the wire through ever smaller dies in the manufacturing process of the wire. I noticed this odd taste after doing my first couple of coil rebuilds. I then started running my wire through a flame for several passes, getting the wire cherry red each time, to burn off the oil. Then I would build the coil. No bad taste after that.

+1 to this. I use to be a machinist and there was some kind of oil on everything we made. Most machined or manufactured metal uses some kind of corrosion protection to prevent rust. If using flame isn't your thing, you might consider using alcohol to clean the wire before you make the coil. But like X6X8, i heat my wire before I build, and then heat it again after to help it keep it's shape. Works very good and I've never had a bad taste.

cvedrick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
League City, Texas
there are two methods of drawing wire that I know of.

1 is to go through a series of progressively smaller, straight or tapered holes drilled in steel plates "drawplates"

The other is going around numerous spring loaded pulleys, something like a serpentine belt system on your car except with dozens of pulleys.

Both methods require lubrication of the wire to keep the wire smooth and prevent snagging and breaking.

As stated most all machining operations require lubrication or coolant to make few manufacturers clean their products totally.

When I get something new, I soak in alcohol, then rinse for several minutes under hot water then let dry before use. Usually I just air dry overnight, but If I am in a hurry, (new RBA etc) I put it in a dish in my toaster oven on the warm setting for 30 minutes. My TO can be set to 130 degrees F. so I don worry about melting.

Anyhow, try cleaning your coils after building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread