Status
Not open for further replies.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I really appreciate your help in all of this John. I really do want to think about this purchase, without of course breaking my bank. At first I'm not going to be able to purchase a ton of extra accessories and I really want something that is going to hold me until I can start collecting a few things.
I'm a bit of a "instant gratification" sort of person when it comes to things like technology purchases. I don't want to be that way with this purchase. I want to research my options and buy the best thing for my needs. I appreciate your bluntness and honesty about the products and why I would or would not like them. It kicks my .... in gear to not just purchase something on a whim.

Sarah -

Happy to help, especially since I will now admit that I share your same affliction - hyper-sensitivity to buyer's remorse/wanting the best that there is, within reasonable limits (that sometimes lose all reason).

I checked out the Lavatube, and while it's a solid contender, I think it has two strikes against it; 3, if you count the delivery lag. One, it's BIG, taking 18650 batteries, and two, some say it's not the most rugged PV out there.

I think your sweet spot, just do it device is the Smoktech 5 volt; a little slimmer, looks nice, should perform really well.

Sailorman knows his stuff, and I just don't think you can go wrong with that PV.

(And Kotikat, I'm organizing an intervention for you as we speak). :)

Hey John, check out this page. It clears up the confusion about the eGo/Smoketch e-Power thing.
Evidently, Smoketech makes a whole different line of e-Powers that they tag with the name "eGo". They don't have replaceable switches like the regular e-Powers, but one of them is a 5V model that looks to be exactly like that "Woo".
69.95 at Liberty flights with a bunch of extra stuff.

Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - EGO E-Power

Sarah, this might be the e-Power for you. It uses thinner batteries than the 18650s. It's about the same size as the 16450 model of e-Power. But it's a 5V device that you're not likely to outgrow anytime soon. The switch isn't replaceable, but neither is the switch on a kGo.

[edit] Hmm... Now that I think about it, a Stainless steel Lavatube from apollo costs the same with 3X the battery capacity. It's just a matter of the 4/15 delivery date.

sailorman -

Thanks for clearing that up! Man, that is confusing. I can just picture the marketing meeting where they were deciding what to call their new line. "I know, let's call it "the EGO"; that won't confuse anyone." Sheesh.

Nice call on the Smoktech "EGO" 5v - I had seen that about 5 times, but nothing clicked. I think I was pre-programmed with a wariness about devices using dual batteries, which has since passed.

Here's a link to the Lavatube, with some positive comments, and some references to uneasiness in some quarters about its ruggedness. And again, it's a big sucka - I'm not sure if we mentioned it in the thread, but 18650 battery = 18mm in diameter, and 16340 = 16mm (first two digits are diameter, second two are length). Not all that pretty, either. The Smoktech/EGO 5v looks more like a Joyetech eGo, a name they obviously should have trademarked a little better.

http://www.vaperden.com/v-tube-lava-tube/

V-tube Lava Tube VV.jpg

I'm downgrading the Smoktech Woo for now due to a minor issue with button sticking, which they'll probably sort out soon. Sure is a nice-looking device though.

Last edited:

koticat

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2012
USA...the tiny state of SC
Hi and welcome ,I would say a KGO or an EGO.:2c:

I just want to make sure you're crystal clear on something. Any power unit with 510 threads can be used with any vaping device (atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer, big tanks, Joyetech eGo tanks (with a Joyetech eGo-C or -T atomizer), or anything else out there that uses that most common thread pattern. What you're really deciding on is a power unit/PV/battery/call it what you will. That's why I said that since you're going to be spending money on attachments anyway, and on a continuing basis as atomizers die and tanks crack or leak, that you might as well have the best possible device that you can justify powering them. Consider a higher-voltage device like the Woo.

View attachment 89038

Yeah I'm bad with the buying new things, that's why I don't want to jump the gun on this one! I can't afford to collect 30 of these things like some of these guys. But wow I've seen some impressive setups.

Added to my bookmark, research, and bang my head on the desk list lol. I'm so very glad I have a few more days to make this decision. Sailor what do you think of the woo?

Edit: uhoh, koticats gonna get in trouble...:p

I seen you sneaking and looking at that e-power and talking about egos! You can't hide it :p

See now I don't feel so bad about buying 6 cellphones in a year, you could be a bad influence on me lady :D

Lolololololol!!! I haven't went through 6 cells in a year.....although I have gone through 4 in a year. Good to go for now in that area with my Droid. :). And hmmmmm.....wonder what John means by "intervention"???? Should I be afraid??? Be afraid.....be very afraid!!! Lolololol

tica02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Minne-soda!
Yay! Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - EGO E-Power So that's the 5v one on this page.

Now we're getting somewhere.
Can you suggest to me a few extras I should pick up to last me for a little while? I know I need to get some juice. It looks like I need more cartomizers. I just want to get the essentials for right now and slowly add things. I just don't want to be left hanging if something happens.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
In defense of the Lavatube. Most early complaints had to do with the plastic cover on the bottom cap. The stainless steel model has a totally different and redesigned bottom and top cap. It looks 100X better as well. So good that I'm straining to keep myself from buying it, even though I already have the standard model. The wait time is only for the Stainless model. The normal finishes are in stock at apollo.

The plastic piece on the Lavatube is attached to the metal bottom cap by two plugs that are press fit through two holes. It is designed to blow out in the event of a battery venting. Those plugs let go on some earlier models, which caused the reports of breaking. It was more cosmetic than anything and some people thought it improved the looks, especially if their LT was silver or white in the first place. Anyway, they've rectified that situation and I'm not aware of any durability issues with it since then. It's aluminum. The paint is very tough and mine has proven pretty durable so far. Anyway, there's a 1 year warranty, which is more than any other <$100 PV I can name.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Yay! Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - EGO E-Power So that's the 5v one on this page.

Now we're getting somewhere.
Can you suggest to me a few extras I should pick up to last me for a little while? I know I need to get some juice. It looks like I need more cartomizers. I just want to get the essentials for right now and slowly add things. I just don't want to be left hanging if something happens.

You need the same things you needed for the eGo. An atomizer or 2, drip tip, some cartomizers. I think that one comes with a tank, so you'll want some replacement cartomizers for that tank. You'll want resistance a little higher than you had with the kGo. 2.5ohm and 3ohm should be good. You can use 2ohm, but that'll give you 12.5 watts, which can be pretty harsh.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Only thing that concerns me about that 5V e-Power is that it stacks non-protected batteries and I doubt they are IMR.
I'm sure it's got some protection circuitry, but if it failed, it would be a disaster.

Keep in mind sarah, that unit is only 650mah. You're going to get less than 1/2 the vaping time between recharges as you would be getting with, for example, the kGo. It's a smaller battery and you're vaping at a higher voltage. It might not be a problem for you and it's certainly better than what you've had, but be aware of it.

In the not too distant future, I'd be looking for some IMR batteries that size, and/or higher capacity and/or higher quality batteries than those appear to be.

koticat

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2012
USA...the tiny state of SC
I get my juices from elitevapors.com........they're also my local guys. They have this one flavor called Lava Juice......its awesome!! On the inhale u get cinnamon with a faint hint of apple.....on the exhale u get pear. I know, I know.....doesn't sound all that great but it is totally yummy!! But my favorite is Creme de Menthe.....Mmmm!!

tica02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Minne-soda!
Sailor you once again shattered my dream of making a decision <3 Teasing. Anyways. I think I'm going to go with this: E-Power 14650. It's cheaper and the more I research it, the more I think that replaceable stuff is definitely better. I assume this is still fine to use dual coil cartos on? My biggest problem is going to be picking out the extras since I have no idea what fits on which.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
It comes with 2ohm ones so I assume I should replace those? Now you're speaking watts! I'm not sure I can handle all of this :p So the same stuff will fit on it as the kGo right?

Yeah, the same stuff will fit, but if you use the same ohms, it will be hotter, since you're using more volts.

Here's the easy way to figure this out: Think of watts as the amount of heat producing your vapor. 12 watts will be a warmer vapor than 5 watts. Most people find a "sweet spot" between 6 and 10 watts. Some juices taste better higher and some lower. High heat can kill delicate flavors or make the vapor taste hot and harsh.

Now: Watts = Volts X Volts / resistance (ohms)

On a 5V PV, watts will equal 25/ohms (5x5/ohms)

If you have a 2ohm carto, you will be vaping with 12.5 watts. A little high.
With a 2.5 ohm carto you will be vaping with 10 watts. Much better.
With 3 ohms, you will be vaping with 8.3 watts. Better for lighter flavored juices.

See, simple. The higher voltage you use, the higher resistance you need to make the same heat (watts)

tica02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Minne-soda!
I get my juices from elitevapors.com........they're also my local guys. They have this one flavor called Lava Juice......its awesome!! On the inhale u get cinnamon with a faint hint of apple.....on the exhale u get pear. I know, I know.....doesn't sound all that great but it is totally yummy!! But my favorite is Creme de Menthe.....Mmmm!!

Those sound very yummy. I may try the lava juice. I also definitely want some strawberry and peach flavors. I think I may end up being a fruity girl!

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
It comes with 2ohm ones so I assume I should replace those? Now you're speaking watts! I'm not sure I can handle all of this :p So the same stuff will fit on it as the kGo right?

Same types of things, higher ohms (resistance) than for the kGo or other 3.7-ish volt devices, which would use 1.5-ish to 2-ish ohms.

And I really do think you're set with that exact device. You'll need two extra batteries (4 would be better), and a charger that does two batteries at once. Some of the two-battery kits come with a charger that does one battery at a time, which makes zero sense.

Then, your only vulnerability would be a broken switch. Solution, if you like the device, buy another kit as a spare. When a friend of yours wants to quit, hook him/her up with your spare kit and some juice, collect your brownie points, and order another spare kit.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Sailor you once again shattered my dream of making a decision <3 Teasing. Anyways. I think I'm going to go with this: E-Power 14650. It's cheaper and the more I research it, the more I think that replaceable stuff is definitely better. I assume this is still fine to use dual coil cartos on? My biggest problem is going to be picking out the extras since I have no idea what fits on which.

Yeah, you can use dual coil stuff on the kGo. Just use that formula to choose what resistance you think would work. As long as you end up with between say 7 and 10 watts, you'll be golden. Use the lower resistance stuff for the stronger juices and the higher resistance stuff on lighter flavors.

John, Go to the Lavatube forum and look at the Stainless one. It's Beautiful!! Nothing at all like the standard versions. Really, night and day. Otherwise, I'd never give a second thought to buying a second one.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut

Abort!!

Eject-eject-eject!!

Stop the presses!!

Nonononononononono!!

Higher voltage vaping is wayyyyyyy better than 3.7!!!!

PLEASE trust me on this one, you will NOT be anywhere near as happy with that device. (And fortunately, they're out of stock anywhere in the country). :)

Let me tell you something very important that I just discovered.

I just measured the resistance in all of my cartomizers and atomizers. They ALL read higher than they're supposed to, which is why I've been getting only marginal vapor production from any of them With 5 volts, you can rock any atomizer out there, and your vape will be MUCH MUCH better.

Sarah, we've come so far! Don't blow it! GET THE EGO 5-VOLT!!!

(OMG this is killing me!!!)

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Same types of things, higher ohms (resistance) than for the kGo or other 3.7-ish volt devices, which would use 1.5-ish to 2-ish ohms.

And I really do think you're set with that exact device. You'll need two extra batteries (4 would be better), and a charger that does two batteries at once. Some of the two-battery kits come with a charger that does one battery at a time, which makes zero sense.

Then, your only vulnerability would be a broken switch. Solution, if you like the device, buy another kit as a spare. When a friend of yours wants to quit, hook him/her up with your spare kit and some juice, collect your brownie points, and order another spare kit.

She won't need a spare kit. That one has a replaceable switch. She could buy a spare switch if she wanted, but I've heard no complaints about the new switches (with the blue LED).

There's 2 batteries but it only uses one at a time. You just rotate them. They're 1050mah, so there's plenty of time to charge one while you use the other. When they get old you might want another set.

Honestly, I think this is the one she should settle on. Nobody has any complaints about these as far as their vape goes. They're simple, economical and pretty durable. She can use the money she saves on replacing kGos to buy a Provari later on.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Abort!!

Eject-eject-eject!!

Stop the presses!!

Nonononononononono!!

Higher voltage vaping is wayyyyyyy better than 3.7!!!!
Sarah, we've come so far! Don't blow it! GET THE EGO 5-VOLT!!!

(OMG this is killing me!!!)

Hahaha... Can't replace the switch on that one. Besides for $70, she can get a stainless steel lavatube that looks 10X better than that 5v eGo and she can vape with 6 volts!! Two weeks is nothing. Did you see the pics of the stainless Lavatube?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tainless-steel-lavatube-pics.html#post5685963

Last edited:

Boognish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
Chocolate Town
I don't understand why that "woo" kit comes with unprotected batteries if they expect you to stack them. You can't put a price on safety. I only use protected batteries period. A lot of these kits come with junk batteries and chargers. You can get a xtar wp6 charger with 6 spacers on ebay for $38. You can pretty much charge all your batteries on one charger. I would highly recommend this charger as an investment for anyone with multiple mods and batteries. If you only have one pv and/or mod as a newbie right now, that will most likely change sooner than later. I am proof of that after only one month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread