Just Bought my First Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
I'm playing around with mouth versus throat hits and I'd like to know what you all think.

I've only been vaping for a few days now and I'd like to throat/lung hit, but I'm noticing its a little harsh. Even when vaping at 7 watts on my Innokin MVP 20 watt.

Is it due to the potency of the ejuice I'm using, or is it that I'm not used to taking throat/lung hits?

I take mouth hits occasionally but it doesn't seem as satisfying to me, like I'm not getting enough of a cloud on exhalation. Now, I'm not trying to cloud chase or anything, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting enough.

I guess there can be a ton of variables involved. I have the air flow wide open.

I've only used one ejuice so far, Apple Tobacco from Vapor Beast. I haven' switched to the other ejuice I bought because I still have some in the tank I'm using. (I definitely need to buy at least one more tank, so I can swap them out without having to clean the one I have.) I also have a few more ejuices on the way from Nicoticket.

Also, I'm enjoying the slight buzz I get from the nicotine in the ejuice; I chose 12mg for the 15ml bottle.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

There are A LOT of variables that could be causing it. The quality of VG, PG, and Nicotine every vendor uses is different. The quality of the flavorings is different. I have some watermelon juice here that is 6mg and just feels like I am inhaling razorblades, and then I have some 12mg watermelon juice from another vendor that is smooth as silk. Naturally, the 12mg should have more throat hit than the 6mg, but it doesn't.

One option you have is to try a lower nicotine amount from the vendor. If that solves it, then you know it was the nicotine causing the throat hit.

Another option is to try to get more airflow. This always seems to help me.

A third option is to just deal with it. I suck at this option.

4th option is to just try another flavor from them. If it doesnt have the throat hit, it could just be something with the flavoring in the one you are using.

As I said earlier, the iClear 16 clearo by innokin is a really good one if you want to be able to have multiple juices ready to go. Mount Baker has it for $2.85 before discounts(coupon code wickfire will give you 11% off and make them be 2.54 each plus shipping and tax if applicable). It isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but they work pretty well for being so cheap. I wont even lie, when I got started, I used to have about 15 of them, with 10 or so loaded up with juice at any given time. Any time I wanted to switch flavors, I would just switch clearos for a while. I used to get decent vapor production from them. For what they are, they work good. Tanks like the one you have typically work MUCH better, but cost more, too.

I have a Kanger Genitank which I've been using nonstop since I got my Innokin MVP 20 Watt, and I dig it. Since I'm new to vaping I have nothing to compare it against, but I think I will guy a GSAir tank to compare it to. I'll buy some replacement coils at the same time and and some coils for my Genitank too.

Reactions: Puff2K
I turned the wattage down a bit and opened the air vent fully and the throat hit is a little easier. I think I just had to get used in inhaling vapor too.

I'm posting left and right here on ECF.

I just have to say again; I effing love vaping!!! This is totally my new hobby/addiction.

Best purchase in forever.

Steam Pipe

May 1, 2015
I turned the wattage down a bit and opened the air vent fully and the throat hit is a little easier. I think I just had to get used in inhaling vapor too.

I'm posting left and right here on ECF.

I just have to say again; I effing love vaping!!! This is totally my new hobby/addiction.

Best purchase in forever.
I don't want to sound like one of those sticklers (like a grammar nazi), but the term 'throat hit' refers to the strong/weak feeling you get when you inhale, not the manner in which you inhale. Thinking in terms of cigarettes, when you take a drag off an unfiltered cig, the harsh raspy feeling is a strong throat hit. When you drag off an ultralight, the soft airy feeling is a weak throat hit.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever defined a proper term for going directly from mouth-to-lung, or even a term for chambering in your mouth before you inhale. But in the circles I run in, they still say 'drag' for a mouth chamber, or a 'pull' for a lung draw.

Steam Pipe

May 1, 2015
BTW, higher nicotine and PG levels provide a stronger throat hit. It is popular among new vapers to start with higher nicotine levels to calm the cravings, and higher PG ratios to give them that cigarette feel.

If you graduate up to dripping atomizers, you'll find out quickly that you want to drop to a much lower nic level, like 3-6mg, as you are getting over 3 times the vapor out of it. I have gone from 18mg nic 70pg/30vg to 3mg nic 70vg/30pg and I blow huge clouds.

Lozboy

May 5, 2015
Like me your journey has just started.I wish I had the time to do all the research like you did.I was a pipe smoker .Recently purchased a V2 Ecigs shisha outfit.This seemed the cheapest way to get started.I am using the E liquid that came with the kit.Theres so much info out there.I am amazed to got it down to one choice.Good luck & enjoy!

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Good morning, StoneWolfe. So pleased that you're liking vaping! A few suggestions:
  • Big clouds come from lower resistance/more heat. Throat hit comes from nic level and, some might say, more PG. The higher the nic, the more throat hit, at any wattage.
  • If you are looking for bigger clouds, you might try a sub ohm tank. The Subtank Mini and the eLeaf Melo are good ones to try. I have both and run them at about 14 - 18 watts. At 14 watts I get very good flavor and clouds. I use 3 or 6 MG nic.
  • The Nicoticket juices you chose are very good FOOB, but are better after steeping. Try them fresh, then let them steep for a couple of weeks and try again. Shake before each tank refill :)
In time, you'll work out what works best for you. And that's all that matters! Enjoy!

Reactions: StoneWolfe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread