Just call me Newby Newbenson

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryGuy

Oct 17, 2014
Maryland, USA
I have been looking into vaping for a while as a way to get off analogs. Looking around here and other places I have decided on the MVP v2 starter kit as it seems to be well regarded. However, from there the more I try to understand about tanks, atomizers, e-juice etc. the more I am getting confused. So with your indulgence I have a few questions for the much more knowledgeable. Feel free to talk to me like I am an idiot because on this subject I very much am. :)

1) Are all retailers created more or less equal or should I be on the lookout for sales that are too good to be true. I have read a bit about counterfeit batteries and failures and it has me concerned.

2) How much juice do I need? As I will be ordering it primarily online I don’t want to run out and then run to analogs. I smoke anywhere from half a pack to a pack and a half a day depending on activity. I would like to order two weeks worth if not more at a time.

3) Would a 50/50 PG/VG be a good mix to start?

4) I am leaning toward 24mg/ml nicotine content. Is it a good idea to max out at first and then adjust down as needed?

5) Do tanks normally leak a little or are they completely sealed until use? Should I be mindful of where I place my rig and how I carry it?

6) Should I get additional tanks/atomizers/coils (whatever they are called) and have spares? I have been reading that “coils” need to be replaced and want to make sure that I am prepared if a failure happens.

7) Do I need to be aware of what kind of e-juice I get in regard to the material the tank is made out of? I have read that certain kinds of juice can corrode plastic tanks and make them leak. Should I get a tank setup that is Pyrex or another material? How do I know which juice to avoid on the plastic tanks?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I apologize for the number of questions, but truth be known, I will probably have more. :)

THANKS!!!
B

shade7

Oct 17, 2014
Chicago
Retailers : I'd suggest trying to find a good vape shop in your area. Starting out, it helped having someone to show me the basics - filling tanks, how to take stuff apart, put it back together, change coils, etc. If online isn't an option, I believe there's a part of the forum for several supporting vendors that should be good.

Juice : I really prefer buying juice locally. Most shops have sample tanks so you can try them & see what you like. I seem to be really picky when it comes to flavors. If you can buy local, try a few out, see what you like, and pick up a bottle or 2. Most bottles are 15 - 20 ml. If possible, try to find a shop that carries several brands, not just a house brand.

PG/VG : I'm not much help here. I usually just sample juice, find one I like, & buy it in the nic strength I want.

Nic strength : If you'll be using clearos I'd start at 18 or 24 mg and work down from there. Not all juices come in 24mg sadly.

Leaking : Depends on the tank. I haven't used the ones in that starter kit. The Protanks I use may leak a few drops into the battery connection on occasion, but nothing serious.

Tanks : If the kit doesn't come with spare atomizers, you'll probably want some. Just don't buy a ton in case you don't like the tanks, or find another type you like better. Plenty of options out there. I like the Kanger tanks like the Protank 2 & mini, but lots of folks like the Nautilus minis or others.

Tank material : I don't know much here. My Kanger tanks are pyrex, and I don't think any of my juices are tank crackers.

The MVP is a great device. Same company also makes the VV3. Basically the same thing in a stick battery, just less battery life. I have both & have had no complaints. Wish I had started out with those.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I have been looking into vaping for a while as a way to get off analogs. Looking around here and other places I have decided on the MVP v2 starter kit as it seems to be well regarded. However, from there the more I try to understand about tanks, atomizers, e-juice etc. the more I am getting confused. So with your indulgence I have a few questions for the much more knowledgeable. Feel free to talk to me like I am an idiot because on this subject I very much am. :)

Welcome Newby Newbenson :) Don't worry about asking questions. That's what this forum is for. :) I have three MVPs among other mods. MVP is a great starting point, IMO

1) Are all retailers created more or less equal or should I be on the lookout for sales that are too good to be true. I have read a bit about counterfeit batteries and failures and it has me concerned.

I would certainly look out for sales too good to be true. There are a great number of commonly-used online retailers. As you read through the forum, you'll see a great number of vendors used repeatedly. Do your homework. Some have success buying off Amazon and Ebay, but I personally won't buy batteries from either - I'll go to a "known" vendor for that.

2) How much juice do I need? As I will be ordering it primarily online I don’t want to run out and then run to analogs. I smoke anywhere from half a pack to a pack and a half a day depending on activity. I would like to order two weeks worth if not more at a time.

I'm a pretty heavy vaper - probably more so than I was a smoker (pack a day) I probably vape about 5-10 mL/day between work and home

3) Would a 50/50 PG/VG be a good mix to start?

That's a fine place to start. Depending on your setup, whether you want more throat hit, you might toggle up or down from there

4) I am leaning toward 24mg/ml nicotine content. Is it a good idea to max out at first and then adjust down as needed?

Truthfully, I started with about 10mg/ml, but that worked for *ME*. I DIY my juices now, and only add a little nic on a tank-by-tank basis (probably in the neighborhood of 6mg or even less) You might consider some 24, 18, and even 12. If you find the 24 too strong, you can dilute with VG that you can pick up in any pharmacy section, or you can dilute with the same or complimentary flavor in lower nic. You'll know if you get too much nic - dizzy/nauseous.

5) Do tanks normally leak a little or are they completely sealed until use? Should I be mindful of where I place my rig and how I carry it?

Some tanks are more prone to leaking. However, I am using Nautiluses and ProTank2s now, and I virtually never get any leaks. I make sure they're "snug", but not overtightened. If I put my PV in my pocket, I always have the tip up. Try not to drop (bigger rigs can hurt if they land on your foot!)

6) Should I get additional tanks/atomizers/coils (whatever they are called) and have spares? I have been reading that “coils” need to be replaced and want to make sure that I am prepared if a failure happens.

Absolutely! You should also have a backup battery or two to cover you while charging or breakage. Depending on the type of "juice holder" (tank, clearomizer, cartomizer, cartomizer tank) you'll need different pieces. There's a user named Baditude out here who has some blog articles on the terminology and description of the different toppers. It's a good read.

7) Do I need to be aware of what kind of e-juice I get in regard to the material the tank is made out of? I have read that certain kinds of juice can corrode plastic tanks and make them leak. Should I get a tank setup that is Pyrex or another material? How do I know which juice to avoid on the plastic tanks?

There are a number of known "tank crackers" Hard cinnamon (like red hots, not bakery) and super-citrusy flavors have potential to crack or at least compromise the plastic tanks. I started with EVOD plastic tanks, but pretty much use all glass tanks now. You can google something like "ejuice tank crackers" and get some information

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I apologize for the number of questions, but truth be known, I will probably have more. :)

THANKS!!!
B

Keep bringing your questions - lot's of good folk willing to lend a hand :)

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Welcome aboard!

Pretty well covered already.

Can't stress enough the importance of backups. Your second battery doesn't have to be an MVP2, although it's a fine device, and if you like the form factor and it fits your budget...

Toppers can break - especially the glass ones, but even the plastic if abused enough. (And I'm not talking intentional. We ALL get butterfingers now and then! :laugh: ) So having two or three is a good plan. And also very handy when you want to vape a different flavor. Just fill up another, don't have to vape it empty, clean, dry....

While when starting out it's actually a good idea to try different styles - both top and bottom coil, for example - it's also convenient to have them all capable of using the same coils, so you can minimize your inventory. Coils, unless or until you decide you want to get into rebuilding them, should be considered expendables. Their life depends partly on the flavor vaped. Darker or sweeter flavors tend to gunk the coil faster. I have some that, unfortunately, I like a lot that will gunk a coil in just a couple fills. Learn to clean and dry burn, and you can restore them to almost new condition. Otherwise, once the gunk builds up enough, the vape goes away.

Nic level... VERY personal! My first attempt was on the recommendation of a local vape shop, 18, and left me wanting. Went to 24 and haven't looked back. A few months later I dropped to 18. So some experimentation is in order to find what level keeps your cig urge in check. We're all different there. And don't be in a hurry to lower it. Nic, without the combustion products of cigs, isn't much more harmful than caffeine.

And don't stop asking questions - it's how we learn, after all!

Hi there! Been a very happy vaper for almost 2 years now but learning ALL of the time and I love coming here because I never leave without learning something new! I started out with a shot in the dark because there were no places nearby that I could get to if I ran into trouble but things are getting easier on that front all of the time. Don't worry about over buying or not enough nicotine, just do whatever it takes to get going and stay there and you will never look back. Soon enough, you will personalize everything to your preferences and make it your own. Best investment I ever made! These guys and gals know what they are talking about and won't steer you wrong.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Most of your questions have been pretty well answered above. I just did want to expand on ordering your liquids. I don't have a B&M anywhere near local, so I ordered online until I started making my own.

When you are starting out don't buy a lot of any one flavor, or from any one supplier. It is worth paying a little more per ml and some extra shipping charges to have a chance to try out more flavors. Some suppliers will sell samplers or even let you build your own sampler.

You may end up hating something that sounded great, and loving something you didn't think you'd be able to stand. So it is better to start with small sizes. Also, you may really like a flavor and then after a while decide you don't any longer. And, as stated above, you may want to change the amount of nicotine or the pg/vg ratio. I went up and down from 18 to 26 to 18 to 26 and now that I'm making my own vary within that range.

The tank that comes with the MVP ( iClear 30) is a pretty good tank. I used it a few times for work and didn't have any problems out of it. However, I did notice that I was flying through juice with it compared to my at home Nautilus. My bestie noticed the same thing with gets as well. We just chalked it up to the .... ton of wicks. Lol. Another buddy of mine let me borrow his Kanger T3 D tank for a couple days and it was pretty awesome, so I just ordered 2 of em from myfreedomsmokes.com . They're actually on sale there atm, so you could get a couple of em for under $10. They look great on the mvp too.

I'd recommend having some spare coils so you're not SOL if you need to clean one or you burn one out and can't just go and but another right away. Spare tanks are really up to you, but it probably isn't a bad idea to have at least 1 back up.
The MVP had a pretty good battery life. I'm a chain vaper and usually have to recharge it every couple of days and it only takes a few hours. If you're dead set on ordering online, 101vape.com has the best deal I've found on the MVP starter kit so far. I was on a tight budget when I started, so that was a big thing for me.

Can't really say a lot for pg/vg blends. Personally, I like a higher vg content. You and I smoked nearly the same amount (Marlboro menthols for me) and 24mg was too much for me, so I immediately stepped back to 18mg for about a month. Down to 6mg now. When I started, I was going through 2-4 mls a day depending, but just like everything else, that's subjective. Better to have too much imo.

I know there's a thread (possibly a sticky?) somewhee . with strong flavors vs. tanks. I'm on my phone and can't find it so maybe wolverine else ca and will link it?

Sample packs are your friends when you can find them. I've tried a handful of Killer Juice because of their weekend sale. They have 5 or 6 diff flavors on sale every week wed-sun. 15ml for a couple bucks. They've become my go-to liquid, sale or no sale.

Anyway, that's my contribution. Welcome to ECF and congrats on starting your vaping journey! This is a great place with great people and I know you'll enjoy your stay. :)

(sorry for any errors. My phone is being a pain in my buttocks)

Schatten

Oct 21, 2014
NC
1) they're about equal from but some have better set ups. Peace out is nice and simple with good variety but Avial is more luxury feel with GREAT set up but not as much quantity
2) the bottles go ALONG way usually but the main problem is getting bored of a juice
3)that is fine its a normal mix
4) I think that is a bit high... maybe more of 16/18
5)cleartanks are usually supergood at not leaking unless u get a tank with a lot of air holes
6) I always suggest 2/3 tanks to be able to quickly switch tanks for different flavors and not have to wait til u empty one
7) YES YES YES never put citrus/ciniman/high VG in an evod clearmizer (any tank with plastic parts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread