Just Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Until brick & mortar stores are the norm, most of us have to, or have had to, rely on mail service. Fear is a great motivator for getting more than two or even three devices. When we finally realize that ecigs actually got us away from cigs, we now have a fear of something breaking and then the possibility of going back.

We really don't want to go back to those cigs. We have backups for our backups. In some cases, ok most all of us have, backups for those backups. :laugh:

Actually

Oct 1, 2013
Kentucky
It seems like a lot of people on ECF started out with cheaper or more readily available PV's, usually cigalikes. Then they'll make a series of decisions, something like the following:

They want something cheaper or better-tasting then the cigalikes, so they pick up a liquor store ego and clearomizer. They like it.
They get another, as a backup, and more clearos.
They get fed up with the short life and high price of disposable clearos. They get a tank.
Then they realize that they miss having a bunch of cheap clearos at hand, for different liquids, so they get more tanks.
Then they move on to things that vape better, something VV, like a twist. They like it better!
Then they move on to something bigger, digital, more features, more control.
Then in the pursuit of a better vape, they get a carto or drip atomizer.
Then wanting better still, they cough-up the money for a Provari.
Then they realize that they miss the portability of the smaller devices, so they get something smallish.

... and so it goes. It's a progression. Always in search of better, because "better" continues to change with whatever you're comparing to, and what aspect you're seeking to improve.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
You also tend to accumulate stuff over time.

At first I only had two batteries, a few coils and some juice (not going into the juice thing right now...focusing this on hardware).

Quickly investigated other coils and juices. Tended to accumulate stuff (slowly, limited budget). Upgraded, kept old stuff. Upgraded again, build mods. Invested in a charger and external/swappable batteries. Now just got a hand-me-down mod. lol.

So basically...have a duplicate setup at least. And like Caridwen said...spare charger too. Coils die. Batteries die. Chargers die. Vapers live.

Besides...you know what happens when you separate an addict from their drug. It isn't pretty. You don't want to end up on the stinkies again if you can avoid it.

Edit: Why is it when I do a reply, someone that types faster is typing basically the same thing? lol. Good post Actually

Last edited:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
I can't say "thanks" enough for your replies although now I am scared! I will definitely be getting another back up set up. I am planning on going back soon for more juice anyway so I may as well make sure that I don't have something fail on me and have to go backwards. I am actually shocked that I have put down cigarettes completely so quick and don't even want one. You guys are awesome and thanks for all the pictures Baditude. Now... decisions, decisions. :vapor:

mr Z

Oct 1, 2013
San Francisco
Because different products specialize in different things. I have a small cig-alike for showing off at parties because its small, looks cool, and will take a beating. I have a variable voltage battery with a t3 clearomizer at home cause I can vape that baby all day without a charge and create enough smoke to replace a fog machine at a haunted house. However, it requires more maintenance, can be broken when out partying and not being careful (I have a weakness for vodca), and will hit my wallet hard if lost or stolen.

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages
Very new to all this. What, specifically, do you mean by a "tank"?

A carto is a metal cylinder with some stuffing and a coil in it, generally the same diameter as an e-cig. A clearo is a plastic cylinder with no stuffing and a coil in it, same diameter as an e-cig. Major difference between the two is you can see how much juice is in the clearo. A tank is basically a larger diameter clearo so it holds much more juice. More info than you wanted, but those are the definitions I use. Now someone else can pipe up with bottom coils, top coils, rebuildables, etc (G)..

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
because they are like lays potato chips.

Actually I only have one pvd, the Provari, that is if you don't count the cigalike and ego batteries that are laying around. I tend to give those away to friends and family looking to quit smoking. Have several rba's to. always looking for that different vape. Different devices yield different results. Some are always looking for better, and some found that their cheap china clones were worth exactly what the paid for them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Very new to all this. What, specifically, do you mean by a "tank"?
"Tank" in vaping may have one of two meanings:

1. "That mod is built like a tank," means the battery device is constructed with better materials which makes it more durable to physical abuse. Not really what we are talking about in this thread though.
  2. Since we are speaking about juice delivery attachments, a "tank" is any such device which holds more e-liquid than a cigalike cartridge (cartomizer) will hold. They are usually clear (polycarbonate, polypropylene, or pyrex) so that you can see how much juice is in them so that you know when to add more.

There are three categories of tanks: clearotanks (clearomizers), cartotanks, and RBA (rebuildable atomizer) tanks. They differ from each other in the way they use a heating coil to produce vapor and in the wicking method used to bring e-liquid to the heating coil.

clearomizers.jpg

Clearomizers use string wicks which feed e-liquid to the coil head (heating coil). This wick/head unit can usually be replaced to prolong the use of the unit. Clearomizers can be refilled with e-liquid an infinite number of times by either removing the top or bottom of the units, depending upon the model of clearo being used. Clearomizers, Cartomizers, Tank systems- Explained- a beginners guide - YouTube

kokopelli.jpg Bella-Phin-Frog.jpg

Cartotanks use cartomizers which have pre-punched holes which allows the tank to continuously refill the carto as you vape. These tanks typically have two endcaps that fit on either end of the tube. The carto fits in the holes of the caps and is kept in place with rubber 0-rings in the end caps.

Cartomizers use a different juice-wick system from clearomizers. They are full of a polyfiller material to absorb & contain e-liquid; within the polyfiller is the heating coil and a tiny air tube which allows vapor to pass from the coil to the vapor's mouth. Cartotanks can be refilled multiple times using the same cartomizer. The entire cartomizer will need to be replaced just like the coil-head of a clearomizer. Cartotanks 101

RBA tanks are advanced juice delivery attachments. The user makes their own wick material and wraps their own coils from wire. Using this attachment requires a lot of research and a lot of special requirements which the above simpler attachments do not. Advice & Tips for New RBA User

AGA-TiamatPlus-topview.JPG

Last edited:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Because 1 is the loneliest number.

bosun & Baditude: Thanx for the helpful info!

Vapeaddikt: "if you click the girl in my banner magic things happen;)" => Reo's Mods. Those mods do look interesting...but they all appear to be VV. Are there any Reo's Mods that are VW?

I seem OK with my iTaste VV (which is also VW) but am too new (stupid?) to handle my Vision Spinner (VV only).

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
I only have one juice I really like :( so I put it in various set-ups and pretend it's different flavors. Juice flavor can vary quite a bit depending on what you're using.

I'd say turn that frown upside down sister, because one of the advantages of having an ADV (All day vape) is that it makes it easier to learn about the difference in delivery devices you're exploring, by removing a variable (juice) off the table -- in my opinion.

Especially when getting into rebuilding, with a wide range of choices in wick 'n wire out there.

But I'm no expert, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn.

RHP

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Clearomizers use string wicks which feed e-liquid to the coil head (heating coil). This wick/head unit can usually be replaced to prolong the use of the unit.

Cartotanks use cartomizers which have pre-punched holes which allows the tank to continuously refill the carto as you vape.
The entire cartomizer will need to be replaced just like the coil-head of a clearomizer.

GREAT info!!!

In Clearomizers you replace the wick/head unit. In Cartotanks you replace the cartomizer.

One question: How do you know when to replace these parts. Is it based on time of use or is it based on something like changed taste, decreased vapor, etc.?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
GREAT info!!!

In Clearomizers you replace the wick/head unit. In Cartotanks you replace the cartomizer.

One question: How do you know when to replace these parts. Is it based on time of use or is it based on something like changed taste, decreased vapor, etc.?

You replace cartomizers when the pull becomes too stiff while vaping, or the flavor turns bad. This can be between a few days to up to 3 - 4 weeks, and depends upon the juice's viscosity and color. It also depends upon whether the carto is used alone, or in a rotation with others. Using a carto in a cartotank also will prolong its life. Cartomizers are a disposable item and not easily "cleaned".

You replace the head in a clearomizer when either the vapor or flavor drops considerably. Cleaning the tank and the wicks may prolong their usefulness. I've been able to use the same heads in my iClear 30 clearomizers for up to 6 weeks or longer without needing to replace them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread