Status
Not open for further replies.

lynch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2011
Lynchburg,Va
The 10-pack of LM2596s is an auction; the same seller has them for $2.16 each. If I needed more at the moment, I'd just do a buy It Now :D.

I've got enough at the moment. Not to mention I've run into a modding slump with RW interferences :rolleyes:

<<come on Powerball lottery!! Da Catt needs some free time to mod!!! LOL!>>

On the next page of the auction one is the buy it now 10 pack for $20.
I brought a 5 pack :).

iamtopher34

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2010
Sandy Utah
I should have said fit they all work great the wife and I are vaping thanks to the ones I have but I want to fit more into one of my boxes here are the three styles i have

2012-02-09201206.jpg

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Well the perception of Canadians has been suspect for sometime...far be it for me to buck the trend:p...

In defence of these not so little guys...they are tough...as a computer guy, I have no shortage of ATX and laptop PSU's...I stick LM2596's into these skinny ... boxs with a switch/meter and an atty con. with no extra HS, no ventilation and proceed to give them to buddies to use as PT's and abuse the crap out of them...the one in my shop has seen a .9 ohm R total dual coil in my Ody @ 4.2V and lives to tell the tail...that's over 1.5A beyond the 3 A spec, not bad in my book...I can't comment on their eff. in a batt mod (never put one in a batt mod and there's no way I'd subject one of my $8 OKR's to that) but I can comment on their general ease of install for a new modder and robustness..well worth the $ IMO

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
.the one in my shop has seen a .9 ohm R total dual coil in my Ody @ 4.2V and lives to tell the tail...that's over 1.5A beyond the 3 A spec,
Sorry Quigs I ain't buying it.

.9Ω @ 4.2V = 4.66A.

Time to show some pics.

This is the best I got with a heat sink, it was less without.

new_mod_loaded__-_1.jpg

Ignore the top no load pic. The DC was at @1.7Ω. looking at 2.64A, real max amps.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Sorry Quigs I ain't buying it

Pretty much exactly what I said to myself as well...as I was metering the 2x 1.8 ohm pieces of kanthal for this stupid "helical dual coil" set up this "Vaping Monkey" guy on you-tube dreamed up for the Odysseus I was doing the math in my head (as an electrician, I've used ohms law once or twice:)). To qualify "stupid"...I have no idea who would vape at almost 20 watts and possibly enjoy it, but I'll leave that up to personal taste...

How was I going to test this 0.9 ohm atty???...my parallel IMR 18650 "flat tops" mod was out in the truck, I didn't relish the idea of holding my brass tube mod with a single unprotected 18650 in it and like I said, I didn't want to risk popping one of my OKR's for this little science experiment so I basically said meh, what's a couple bucks, let's see what happens when one of these 2596's sizzle...and I screwed it on to my ATX PT set at at 3.7v and pushed the button....I ran it up to 4.2v but it was starting to whine pretty bad so I stopped there but...

Now that I'm writing this I'm trying to remember if I fired the Ody from completely cold at 4.2v, hot R may have been a pretty big factor and would warrant a re-test however...why wasn't there any thermal cut-out? by some roll of the dice is every component on the + side of the 10% threshold?... would I expect it to last running at upwards of 150% of spec? (not likely)...but it did it...

Last edited:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
As a 70 year old aero mechanical engineer that became a commercial pilot when radios were tuned by coffee grinder crank knobs, I marvel at what electronics are today and understand little past ohms law. I do understand that I have been enjoying not smoking analogs and vaping for more than three years and in the last year since I discovered the the LM2596 this enjoyment has multiplied ten fold. They do everything I need and the less soldering with these old fingers, and eyes, the better. Of the many I have, I have only burned one up and that was oxidizing a SS wick that was shorted. If battery efficiency is the only advantage, I don't need that for PT with 12V source. Now if the better models give more flavor or more vaper, I may be interested in building one. I do understand that those that live electronics want to build the best, but for me the LM2596 is the best.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
hey guys stop talking and go to build some LM2596 step down convertor :D, Bla Bla Bla...talking and talking but nothing done :D.:lol::banana:

Hey @tomcatt you let to rusted that ten modules you have bought :D
IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

LOL

Working on a new mini full function PT with meter and it will have a magnet to stick to metal surfaces

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Is there one of these that can boost an 18650? Small enough to have a volt meter on it so i can squeeze inside a tube? I wanna make one that i can put on different tube mods. But don't know ff I can fit em inside a tube wanna try easy things first before I do a okr one
The LM2596 is a step down it won't boost. Look for help in threads that refer to boosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread