Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
IMG_1211.jpg

That's really cool. I used one of those barrel connectors for charging on the mod I'm currently using. Those 5.5mm barrel connectors are really tough, last forever. They can handle big currents too. I'm using a mini-USB on the one I'm currently doing only because of size. The other is just a bit too large for my latest project. I would have used one if I could have found room for it.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
That's really cool. I used one of those barrel connectors for charging on the mod I'm currently using. Those 5.5mm barrel connectors are really tough, last forever. They can handle big currents too. I'm using a mini-USB on the one I'm currently doing only because of size. The other is just a bit too large for my latest project. I would have used one if I could have found room for it.

I use these type of 2.1mm connectors, not sure if they're any smaller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-2-1mm...ltDomain_0&hash=item2310d9b46d#ht_3093wt_1005

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
You can get potting epoxy with good thermal characteristics. It's not cheap, but available. Dont' have a link for you though. 3M makes a bunch of different potting epoxies so you could look on their product site. It's common in electronics so you wouldn't be doing anything out of the ordinary. Heat sink epoxy works well for general assembly, but it would be too expensive to pot with it. I use this stuff. It's really strong and cures pretty fast.

One tip on glueing those PCB mount connectors (if not potting), drilling a couple small holes in the glue side of the connector prior to glueing allows the epoxy to hold much better, speaking from experience.

Those DC connectors on eBay are 5.5mm x 2.1mm connectors which is like a standard size. They're panel mount so they're a little more compact than the through-hole ones, but still, it's the 5.5mm part that gives me trouble. I can get smaller non-standard sizes, but then they aren't as rugged and it's hard to find wall warts already wired up for them.

Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
So I'm working on another convert to the e-cig world, a 2 pack a day office guy who simply can't talk on the phone without lighting up...we were all there:(...until we go through the consultancy process I'm building him a basic 18650 DCC tank mod and long term loan him my Ghetto PT:

2012-01-20 15.35.08.jpg

...so I guess I have to build a new 2596 PT...I got to thinking about how I can blend my other "hobby" love and my post on the Arctic Silver thermal compound...so last night I ripped the heat sink off the GPU on an old ATI vid card, I cut a 1cm x 1cm chunk of copper plate and lapped it, I then laid some solder runs on the backside of the reg heat sink (if you can call it that), I torched the copper laid it hot on the solder runs...it sunk in and bonded really nice...I then lapped the ATI heat sink, spread some thermal and...

2012-02-14 16.13.08.jpg 2012-02-14 16.13.22.jpg 2012-02-14 16.13.33.jpg

I'm working on a spring loaded retainer to keep a positive thermal join to the GPU heat sink...this will be mounted on a Toshiba 16V 5A PSU from an A20 Satellite (considerably more jam than the IBM PSU)...there's also way more real estate to hot glue stuff...I'm thinking 1 of these:

0-19.99V DC Blue LCD Digital Volt Panel Meter Voltmeter | eBay

and 1 of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-0-5A-DC-B...ltDomain_0&hash=item2a175538aa#ht_2053wt_1163

to start...input please...

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
So I'm working on another convert to the e-cig world, a 2 pack a day office guy who simply can't talk on the phone without lighting up...we were all there:(...until we go through the consultancy process I'm building him a basic 18650 DCC tank mod and long term loan him my Ghetto PT:

View attachment 78839

...so I guess I have to build a new 2596 PT...I got to thinking about how I can blend my other "hobby" love and my post on the Arctic Silver thermal compound...so last night I ripped the heat sink off the GPU on an old ATI vid card, I cut a 1cm x 1cm chunk of copper plate and lapped it, I then laid some solder runs on the backside of the reg heat sink (if you can call it that), I torched the copper laid it hot on the solder runs...it sunk in and bonded really nice...I then lapped the ATI heat sink, spread some thermal and...

View attachment 78840 View attachment 78841 View attachment 78842

I'm working on a spring loaded retainer to keep a positive thermal join to the GPU heat sink...this will be mounted on a Toshiba 16V 5A PSU from an A20 Satellite (considerably more jam than the IBM PSU)...there's also way more real estate to hot glue stuff...I'm thinking 1 of these:

0-19.99V DC Blue LCD Digital Volt Panel Meter Voltmeter | eBay

and 1 of these:

DC 0-5A DC Blue LCD Digital Panel Amp Meter ammeter Doesn't Require Shunt ELD69 | eBay

to start...input please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread