Not open for further replies.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
what is this ramie?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/atomizer-mods/558312-just-ramie.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/atomizer-mods/378875-just-hemp-26.html#post12386763

Something new to play with.:)

"The long, fine ramie fibers are naturally white and lustrous with an almost silky appearance. It is a cellulosic substance as is cotton, linen and other plant fibers. The inner structure of ramie differs from the other plant fibers in that the physical form of the cellulose is rigid and crystalline like linen but is a more porous sieve-like form providing it with even better absorbency than other cellulose fibers."

4 oz of Ramie..

http://store.bountifulspinweave.com...de=BSAW&Product_Code=LT-7_128&Category_Code=F

Last edited:

pendragon

Feb 10, 2011
michigan
Picture 111.jpg this some, i haven't tried it yet.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
so it is different from hemp sliver? I bought a box full of hemp fiber from hemptrader and it like it a lot. Boiled about 10 batches and still have over half the box left and enough hemp for a good couple years. how does ramie compare to hemp fiber?

Read from here forward. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/atomizer-mods/378875-just-hemp-26.html#post12386763 Since I discovered both for wicks, IMO both are excellent and I now use both depending on the juice. Yes the hemp fiber is excellent but not the hemp sliver. The Ramie Top looks like the hemp sliver but it works much better.

Last edited:

Mackhaio5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
oh didnt realize it was that old of a post. I remember reading about it now its all coming back. I love my hemp fiber. I can mold and shape it a lot better then i did with cotton. I only had 2 back which when i put in too little but not its all perfect. wicks fast enough for .2 ohm chain vapes every hit is like i just dripped till its dry

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
@BJ43 - have you seen and/or tried this yet?
tencel nepps

Doggin is using it and is very pleased with it. she has not had a dry hit yet with it. she has tried several others, including ramie & hemp, but is liking this stuff the best.

i just ordered some from that link. we shall see ...

Tencel is a trade name for lyocell fiber from wood pulp. I have not tried it. Let me know....:)

"Most people assume that there are two broad categories of fibers: natural fibers like cotton, wool, hemp, ramie and silk; and artificial fibers synthesized out of petrochemicals like nylon and polyester. Lyocell falls somewhere in-between. The raw material for lyocell is cellulose from wood pulp which is broken down chemically in a soupy sludge that is squirted out a showerhead spinneret and reformed as fibers

The manufacturing of lyocell fiber does have significant environmental and ecological benefits. Most of concern about lyocell comes from the sometimes heavy use of chemicals to turn lyocell fiber into garments. Tencel® and lyocell are possibly not appropriate for those with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities."

junquedujour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
southwest misery
Tencel® and lyocell are possibly not appropriate for those with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities."

very interesting.
those that i have read that have tried it, treated like they did the hemp and ramie with the boils and baking. i'll probably just nuke it dry like i ended up doing with the hemp & ramie ... plus (in my li'l peabrain) nuking kills. ;-D

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Tencel® and lyocell are very similar to cotton in their fire resistance. They will burn easier than hemp or ramie.:)
(semi OT)
When dry, definitely yes: it goes up in ashes even faster than cotton.

But rayon seems to have a huge capacity of 'transporting' - for want of a better term - liquid.. It doesn't seem to absorb liquid, just to transfer it very quickly (also vertically! ).

I think it's the adsorption property you were recently mentioning, BJ..

It's difficult to come up with a properly packed wick, though, because differently from hemp it shrinks some when wet; thus either you pack it denser when dry, or you will need to add more material after a few hours.

Other than that, I've found it an excellent wicking material.

Last edited:

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Your opinion is normally based on hard data, I've learned, so I'm sure you're right..
Yet in my configurations rayon seems to move more liquid than anything else I've tried. I'm puzzled..

On a side note I've just received some ramie top as well, will try it over the weekend.

Life is good in the wicking world, these days :D

Last edited:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
A friend sent me some Tencel to try.:)Thanks. I set some up in a Russian 91% and an Igo dripper, both with 1 ohm 28g coils. My first reaction was, this is very good. Very clean flavor. The tencel comes pretty shredded and much more difficult to form into a constant density wick, almost impossible to pull a snug wick thru a coil as it pulls apart. I went back to my old way of wrapping the coil around the wick and a paper clip. Tencel is great for vertical coils where you pack the wick around the outside of the coil, (did the Russian this way and the dripper with the wick thru the coil). Have not done any lab tests with it yet, but it seems to be an excellent wick, I would put it up there just above cotton on my list. In the next few days I will report back as I hit it with high watts and my heavy vaping.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread