Just one day and it's in this state. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
If you find that reducing your cotton makes your wick too loose, try some rayon instead. You can pack rayon in tight and it will still draw better than the cotton does. Trim down your tails at an angle to get all the ends pulling the eliquid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Reactions: DavidOck

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thank you all again. I think it was too much cotton. I will try with less. So, your coils gets black too with residue on them? Do you have any pictures so I can put my minds on peace? :)

This is about when I start to notice enough change in the vape to start thinking about cleaning the atty:

2wd0bur.jpg

I once continued to vape well past that point just to see just how gunked up I could let it become and it would still vape. This was the result. I do believe I won the 'dirtiest coils' award that day :)

2cwrbr8.jpg

Yes, there are coils in there ... two of them ;). I did also survive the experience with no negative side effects :thumb:

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
You have to remember that the stuff on your coils is the stuff you DIDN'T inhale. It's a good thing. The only problem is when it piles up to the point where the juice isn't making contact with the coil anymore. Then your coil gets too hot but you can tell because the taste starts going bad.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
Hello.

How to resolve this issue? How often do you rewick your coils? How long does it take for your coils to get to this state? At which power (watts) do you vape?
Thank you for your answers in advance.

I have a similar setup to yours rokyo87. This Kayfun has 28 guage kanthal, rayon wick, 1.7 ohms, vaped at low watts (6-8W) about 25 ml of Candy Cane juice since new on Nov. 23 (Yeah I keep a log)..Looks about due for a coil clean and fresh wick. (Ummm, OK is a bit overdue... ) Anyway, just wanted to second others that your stained wick and coil looked normal given the use. Second pic is after faucet rinse. View attachment 628553 gunked kf2coil2.jpg gunked kf2coil.jpg

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
This is about when I start to notice enough change in the vape to start thinking about cleaning the atty:

2wd0bur.jpg

I once continued to vape well past that point just to see just how gunked up I could let it become and it would still vape. This was the result. I do believe I won the 'dirtiest coils' award that day :)

2cwrbr8.jpg

Yes, there are coils in there ... two of them ;). I did also survive the experience with no negative side effects :thumb:
Lol I wouldn't vape the coil in the first pic, much less the second. I can taste my juice getting harsher before it even gets as bad as the first pic :?:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I have zero buildup on coils but they do blacken. I rewick twice a week. When i do that the cotton is usually barely tan. I rebuild once or twice a month because for some reason the coil looses it's sizzle and throat hit declines. Fresh wire corrects that. I don't know why. When i was using premix my coils were gunking up every few days, probably because of a lot of flavoring and sweetners which tend to charmalize at low temperature. My DIY is 50/50 and uses 1% flavoring and i see almost no builld up. I believe everyone who intends to be a lifelong vaper will be mixing and rebuilding sooner or later, not to save money but for the other benefits. Saving money is a bonus.

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016

2wd0bur.jpg

2cwrbr8.jpg

Ufff, that's a lot of black stuff... :)

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
You have to remember that the stuff on your coils is the stuff you DIDN'T inhale. It's a good thing. The only problem is when it piles up to the point where the juice isn't making contact with the coil anymore. Then your coil gets too hot but you can tell because the taste starts going bad.

Yeah, you don't inhale it but you are burning it and then inhaling that burnt stuff in a form of gas or even smoke... I don't know how many more emission is this but it's some...

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
The slow ramp up is keeping the coil heated longer.

Can't be helping.

Once you fix the other issues, might consider running 29 or 30 gauge at similar resistance with same wattage.

Tapatyped

Why is coil heated longer in the case of slow ramp? What wattage do you suggest on 28GA Kanthal, 1.3 Ohm, 3mm diameter?

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Yeah, you don't inhale it but you are burning it and then inhaling that burnt stuff in a form of gas or even smoke... I don't know how many more emission is this but it's some...
You're not burning it. If you were, it would be unvapeable. The juice keeps the coil cool. Like I said, when it gets to the point where it's so thick that the juice isn't keeping the coil cool anymore, the coil will start to heat up too much and you'll taste it and change the wick.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Why is coil heated longer in the case of slow ramp? What wattage do you suggest on 28GA Kanthal, 1.3 Ohm, 3mm diameter?
Wattage is your personal preference. I use a 1.3 ohm coil and vape around 13 watts. However, use whatever you like best. If it's starts to taste bad, you're too high.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
What is your suggestion for ID on the 30 gauge coils beck?
Depends what ID keeps your rta from leaking or drying out.

Can't say since I don't have a kfv5.
When you push the button coil gets hot.

When you let go it cools.

Longer ramp up means longer on the button.

Hot, but not really tends to caramelize better than it vaporizes IME.

Wattage is your personal preference. I use a 1.3 ohm coil and vape around 13 watts. However, use whatever you like best. If it's starts to taste bad, you're too high.

Agreed.

But details.

1.3 ohms @ 13 watts means nothing.

If I put 13 watts through a 1.3 ohm 20 gauge coil, it might not even get warm to the touch.

If I put 13 watts through a 1.3 ohm 34 gauge coil, the coil would be toasted. If not now, very soon.

Tapatyped

Reactions: Ryedan

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario

2wd0bur.jpg

2cwrbr8.jpg

nope... just nope... i change my cotton on my devices and nag my hubby for his to change his regularly, because i've seen his coils get almost that bad before he gives them to me... *makes a note rye is is a lazy cotton changer* lol.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida

2wd0bur.jpg

2cwrbr8.jpg

Ride the lightning..

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Depends what ID keeps your rta from leaking or drying out.

Can't say since I don't have a kfv5.

When you push the button coil gets hot.

When you let go it cools.

Longer ramp up means longer on the button.

Hot, but not really tends to caramelize better than it vaporizes IME.

Agreed.

But details.

1.3 ohms @ 13 watts means nothing.

If I put 13 watts through a 1.3 ohm 20 gauge coil, it might not even get warm to the touch.

If I put 13 watts through a 1.3 ohm 34 gauge coil, the coil would be toasted. If not now, very soon.

Tapatyped
28 gauge kanthal around a 2.5 mm bit. Almost the same as what you're using. Your choices are limited. If you can get a 20 guage 1.3 coil installed, show me a picture.

Reactions: DavidOck

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
28 gauge kanthal around a 2.5 mm bit.

Are you following our conversation?

Almost the same as what you're using.

Not by a long stretch.
Not on any of my personal setups.
Are you sure you know who you're responding to?

Your choices are limited.

Nope.
Not at all.
Not with my gear.

If you can get a 20 guage 1.3 coil installed, show me a picture.

:blink:

Okay.

mVko67n.jpg

a7Nzb9c.jpg

But I'll have to get home to my 20 gauge kanthal and a bigger atty if you really want a picture of a ridiculous build that no mod will fire.

Still... 1.3 ohms @ 13 watts with 28 gauge is a bad build.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread