Just one day and it's in this state. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
However, why is 28 gauge at 1.3 ohm a bad build?

It's not IF...

(BIG IF)...

you can run it at 20 to 30 watts.

At 15 watts, 1 ohm of 28 gauge is sluggish and unresponsive.

A lot of wasted energy and time... and quite a bit more gunk on the coil.

13 watts on 1.3 ohms of 28 gauge a1 would drive me batty.

The juice is spending more time burning onto the coil at that point than atomizing.

Tapatyped

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Lol I wouldn't vape the coil in the first pic, much less the second. I can taste my juice getting harsher before it even gets as bad as the first pic :?:

I wish all it took was a gunked coil to make my vape harsher :). Mine just fade out, less TH, flavor and vapor :grr:

Ufff, that's a lot of black stuff... :)

The first picture is a normal gunked coil for me just before I clean it. The second is not something I do regularly, just wanted to see how far I could push it.

I set up my atties and juice so they are how I like them with moderately gunked up coils. That way I get the best vape for the longest period of time.

Keep in mind, as has been said already, once we degrade (overheat) our juice to the point that nasty substances are produced we will taste it, and even a perfectly clean coil can do that. I never vape burnt juice, I change the setup so it works the way I want it to. Works for me, but as always YMMV :)

Ride the lightning..

Now we're talking :thumb:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
1.3 ohms @ 13 watts means nothing.

If I put 13 watts through a 1.3 ohm 20 gauge coil, it might not even get warm to the touch.

If I put 13 watts through a 1.3 ohm 34 gauge coil, the coil would be toasted. If not now, very soon.

Tapatyped

Hey beckdg, it's been a while. Hope all is well with you!

Totally agree with you above :)

Still... 1.3 ohms @ 13 watts with 28 gauge is a bad build.

This OTOH is almost exactly what I was vaping today at work all day. 28 gauge K, 1.4 ohms at about 15 watts in a Rose V3. It doesn't chuck any clouds, but it's a very nice low key vape for me. I'm sure it would be way too much like vaping air for you though :lol:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Hey beckdg, it's been a while. Hope all is well with you!

Totally agree with you above :)

This OTOH is almost exactly what I was vaping today at work all day. 28 gauge K, 1.4 ohms at about 15 watts in a Rose V3. It doesn't chuck any clouds, but it's a very nice low key vape for me. I'm sure it would be way too much like vaping air for you though [emoji38]
As good as can be.
Right back at you.

Thanks for chiming in.
I stand corrected.

My sincere apologies folks.
Carry on.

Tapatyped

Reactions: Ryedan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As good as can be.
Right back at you.

Thanks for chiming in.
I stand corrected.

My sincere apologies folks.
Carry on.

Good to hear it my friend!

Hey, it's all good ... the performance of this kinda build surprised me too. The last while I've been lowering the watts and re-exploring this side of vaping. It started when I set up my old Lemo V1 for a friend who wanted to try vaping and found *I* really liked it :). Maybe it was just time for a change.

Vape on beck :thumb:

Reactions: beckdg

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
This is about when I start to notice enough change in the vape to start thinking about cleaning the atty:

2wd0bur.jpg

I once continued to vape well past that point just to see just how gunked up I could let it become and it would still vape. This was the result. I do believe I won the 'dirtiest coils' award that day :)

2cwrbr8.jpg

Yes, there are coils in there ... two of them ;). I did also survive the experience with no negative side effects :thumb:

Burn it, burn it with fire!

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
Why is it burned so fast? I vape at max 10 Watts, coil is 1,25 Ohm Kanthal, 28GA so too high temperature or to high watts are not the case, my coils are heating up pretty slow. I am using unflavoured 15DW/85VG e-liquid so neither flavours are the case. My draws last from 2 - 4 seconds. Vapour production is still good, vapour taste is not affected (no burnt taste).

What is this black gunk or layer on the coil? What does it mean from health point of view?

How to resolve this issue? How often do you rewick your coils? How long does it take for your coils to get to this state? At which power (watts) do you vape?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

You shouldn't be seeing any discoloration at that power, with unflavored juice. I'll admit I have no experience cutting juice with water and don't know if that could be a factor, though I don't see how. If it were any commonly used combination of VG/PG all the way to 100% VG I could say you absolutely shouldn't see any discoloration.

Personally I find an 8 wrap coil of #28 with a 2.5mm I.D. works well with the kayfuns V5 run somewhere around 12W to 14W.

I'd have to guess its either your wicking or you haven't opened up the juice control enough. When you fill it and its screwed all the way down, you need to back off two full revolutions to have the juice control fully open according to Svoemesto.

Also a few other minor (in comparison) things play into juice getting to the coil in pressure differential tanks like Kayfuns, your juice viscosity, your draw and airflow settings.

If its the wicking, honestly you can watch all the videos and listen to all the advice in the world, but getting it right takes practice and repetition.

Anyway, check out Phil's video, it'll give you a good rundown of the product.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
Might be a dumb question but how are you priming those Wicks thoroughly before taking your first hit preferably at low wattage and bump the power up slowly to your sweet spot?? I've never gotten burn marks on my cotton like that, course I don't use a kayfun either though..sorry couldn't help more...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cheallaigh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread