Just pulled the trigger on a Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blu916

Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Sacramento, CA
As I said previously, I have both a standard and a mini Provari, and use them with both their default battery size and the larger batteries via the extended battery caps. I use the Provape recommended batteries: AW IMR's.

AW18490 = 700 mah 6- 7 hours

AW18490 = 1100 mah 10 - 11 hours

AW18650 = 2000 mah 20 - 22 hours

Panasonic CGR18650CH - 2300 mah 20 - 22 hours

No. The Provari has built-in protection circuitry and a 3.5 amp limit, so it would refuse to fire an atty too low in ohm. It would display an error code on the LED display, "Lo".

The time frames you give, is that based upon a continuous discharge? What kind of amp output are you getting with those timeframes? With a Panasonic NCR18650B you can get 3400mah (Not sure though it that will work with a ProVari) Also, after running a quick Ohm's law calculation, with a 3.5 Amp limit, you could run a 1.8 Ohm Atty up to the 6 Volt limit. This would only bring the circuit to 3.3 Amps. Minimum resistance would be 1.7 Ohms which would bring you right to the 3.5 Amp limit. Any reason why you someone would prefer running a 3.0 ohm atty? With that setup you'd only be pushing about 2 Amps, other than losing battery life, would you see any other con's to using LR?

:wub:

I hope you love your new setup even more!

Thank you, based upon everything I'm being told, I'm pretty sure I will! :)

Blu, you are going to love your Provari. I'm a newbie too, but I knew buying the best would save me a lot in the long run, it's a perfect vaping device. And the menu is simple, really! I've had mine over a week now, absolutely grateful to the folks on here who give the Provari the credit it's due!

Thanks! That's the same logic I used, buy one and "done", short of buying others of course. I contemplated a Lavatube as well, but there were mixed reviews for it compared to the ProVari, and when everyone is saying "The ProVari set the standard" might as well spend a bit more up front and not have to worry about failures down the road.

The only 'problem' with buying one's first ProVari, is that they tend to multiply...

Thats exactly what I'm worried about :laugh:

Congrats on your new purchase! I got my very first kit from HDV as well! Those batts hold up amazing don't they! Be sure to share your experience with us. I wish I'd gone right for the Provari after my initial starter but all that trial & error worked in the end I guess. Oh & be sure to post pics! Happy vaping!!

Thanks! The HDV batt's definitely surprised the hell out of me, for what used to be a sub $40 kit. I would've thought by now, one of them would've failed, but nope still going! Granted, one of them is no longer maintaining the same discharge rate as it used to, its cycle rate is just going up. Soon, I'm sure it will no longer accept a charge, but by then, it won't matter. 7-8 months out of 2 little Chinese Ego batt's is more than impressive IMHO. I will definitely post some pics of the ProVari, I've been checking on the tracking info every few hours, can't wait!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The time frames you give, is that based upon a continuous discharge? What kind of amp output are you getting with those timeframes? With a Panasonic NCR18650B you can get 3400mah (Not sure though it that will work with a ProVari) Also, after running a quick Ohm's law calculation, with a 3.5 Amp limit, you could run a 1.8 Ohm Atty up to the 6 Volt limit. This would only bring the circuit to 3.3 Amps. Minimum resistance would be 1.7 Ohms which would bring you right to the 3.5 Amp limit. Any reason why you someone would prefer running a 3.0 ohm atty? With that setup you'd only be pushing about 2 Amps, other than losing battery life, would you see any other con's to using LR?
The Provari requires a "high drain" button-top IMR or hybrid battery to function. The NCR18650A/B 3100/3400 mah batteries from Panasonic are not high drain batteries. The most powerful batteries you can use in the Provari are the NCR18650PB 2900 batteries from Panasonic (high-drain hybrid). However, Provape still continues to recommend using AW IMR's.

My time frames used in my previous post are from my personal vaping habits. I use a 2.0 - 3.0 ohm delivery device, either a clearomizer or cartotank. I don't use low resistance as I prefer a cooler vape. I use a voltage range of 3.6v -4.4v depending upon the specific flavor I'm vaping. If I'm working, I vape only a few vapes during breaks. In the evenings and on weekends, I'm a fairly typical vapor. I typically vape 3 ml a day. Hope that helps. Provape recommends using 3.0 ohm attachments as that resistance allows you a wider range of voltages to use than low resistance would.

Last edited:

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
Greetings; Good thread to read, I've just been thinking about upgrading from my eGo-Twist to a more advanced battery setup. I've got some dual coil clearo heads on order, and it just occurred to me that these are going to drain batteries a lot faster than what I use now, hence the need for something with more juice.

Are Provaris a good item in terms of portability? One thing I really like about my current setup (which includes a mini-sized clearo) is that it's small enough to put in the top pocket of my jacket when I got out, or in the pocket of my jeans when I'm wandering around home or the office (never the back pocket -- the clearo has a pyrex tank, and I can picture myself forgetting about E-Cig before sitting down!)

Is it possible to put together an easily portable rig like this with the Provari or one of the other advanced batteries?

Regards
Glenn

Last edited:

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Hello fellow Vape-addicts, Modders and Hobbyists!

The name's Jon, figured considering I just put some real money into this little hobby I should probably finally take the time to register and say hi. :)

Just a little background about me;

I was a pack-a-day smoker for almost 15 years. Back in February of this year a few co-workers started coming into work with Mods and Ego's. After some guidance from Co-workers and research on ECF, I grabbed a little Chinese/CE4 kit from HighDesertVapes in March. (Great little starter kit IMHO, one DOA batt HDV took care of, but since that time, both batteries have survived being dropped into a river for about 10 seconds and 7 months of abuse in my pocket.)

Shortly after I began vaping, I got some Kanger EVOD's (one of the best Ego sized tanks out there IMHO) and a ProTank while dropping my atty's down to the 1.8-2.0 Ohm range. Other than getting my "Go-To" juices and buying packs of atty's over the last several months. I've been pretty content, except my inner geek was always nagging at me to get into the "Modding" side of things.

Welcome to ECF and congrats on quitting. Sometimes that "inner geek" never shuts up, even when it gets what it "wants".

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've got some dual coil clearo heads on order, and it just occurred to me that these are going to drain batteries a lot faster than what I use now, hence the need for something with more juice.

Are Provaris a good item in terms of portability? One thing I really like about my current setup (which includes a mini-sized clearo) is that it's small enough to put in the top pocket of my jacket when I got out, or in the pocket of my jeans when I'm wandering around home or the office (never the back pocket -- the clearo has a pyrex tank, and I can picture myself forgetting about E-Cig before sitting down!)

Is it possible to put together an easily portable rig like this with the Provari or one of the other advanced batteries?
I use the Innokin iClear30 clearomizers on my Provari's. I've not noticed a difference in the drain on my batteries from my single coil cartotanks.

I use both the iClear30 clearos and the IBTanked pyrex cartotanks on my Mini Provari when out of the house. I carry them in my front jeans pocket. The Mini is the most versatile between the two Provari's offered. You can't make the standard smaller, but you can make the Mini longer (to use longer lasting batteries).

Mini Provari 2.jpg mini-&-twist.jpg Mini Provari v2.jpg

The Mini Provari in its default 18350 battery configuration, next to an eGo Twist battery for size comparison.
_________​

This is the typical setup that I use away from the house, minus the wide base end cap. An IBTanked pyrex tank with the Mini in 18350 battery mode. I usually carry at least one spare 18350 battery with me in a safety plastic battery case in my pocket.
__________​

You can extend the length of both the standard and min to accept a larger battery by purchasing Provape's battery extension cap.

Provari_vs_Mini.jpg (Mini with Provape's battery extension cap)

You can also use after-market Tatroe Mods extension rings to allow the mini to use the 18490 (one ring) or the 18650 (two rings).

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Now all you need is a Reo, and your arsenal will be complete. :2cool:

To answer Glenn-K's question, the Reo is more pocket friendly, and how can you hurt a solid block of aluminum?!
    The Reo Mini 2.1 even uses the same 18490 battery as the Provari (which really cuts down on the logistics)
    And don't worry Blu, it's only another $144 you need to save up :lol:

Blu916

Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    The Provari requires a "high drain" button-top IMR or hybrid battery to function. The NCR18650A/B 3100/3400 mah batteries from Panasonic are not high drain batteries. The most powerful batteries you can use in the Provari are the NCR18650PB 2900 batteries from Panasonic (high-drain hybrid). However, Provape still continues to recommend using AW IMR's.

My time frames used in my previous post are from my personal vaping habits. I use a 2.0 - 3.0 ohm delivery device, either a clearomizer or cartotank. I don't use low resistance as I prefer a cooler vape. I use a voltage range of 3.6v -4.4v depending upon the specific flavor I'm vaping. If I'm working, I vape only a few vapes during breaks. In the evenings and on weekends, I'm a fairly typical vapor. I typically vape 3 ml a day. Hope that helps. Provape recommends using 3.0 ohm attachments as that resistance allows you a wider range of voltages to use than low resistance would.

Great info! Thanks so much Baditude, so High Drain only. Is the 2900 the biggest "capacity" you can get right now? Or I'll just search :)

SR will get cooler vapes, good to know, as I prefer it but changing the resistance on the Evod's and Protanks never seemed to change the temperature (for me), only the amount of vapor. So 3.0 Ohm SR it is, just one last question if you don't mind?

I found a thread where you responded about XL vs Standard Carto's- ECF XL vs Standard Carto's and you have recommended the Ikenvape Platinum's previously in this thread.

When I go to their site and look at the Platinums, I'm looking at getting a IKV 510 MEGA Platinum STD, however they also offer a "S Series".

The Platinum S is not a force to be reckon with. With an even denser style of batting that still allows sweet liquid flow and tightened ventilation, the Platinum has become a new living legend in the IKV world. With 1 precisely well placed 10mm rectangular slot measuring a 10mm that runs in line with the vertical coil is Guaranteed not to over fill of dehydrate. The laser cut slot is smooth to the touch and sits flush with the body. Its location is 10 mm from the top of the base of the 510 connector. The total length of this unit 50.00mm and 44.5mm from the base (on top of the threads to the top)

Do you have a recommendation of the S Series over the Standard Platinum? Thanks again! :toast:

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 29, 2013
    Toronto
    I use the Innokin iClear30 clearomizers on my Provari's. I've not noticed a difference in the drain on my batteries from my single coil cartotanks.

I use both the iClear30 clearos and the IBTanked pyrex cartotanks on my Mini Provari when out of the house. I carry them in my front jeans pocket. The Mini is the most versatile between the two Provari's offered. You can't make the standard smaller, but you can make the Mini longer (to use longer lasting batteries).

Thanks for the reply, I had no idea that the Provari mini was so small, it looks pretty cool too!

Regards
    Glenn

Regards
    Glenn

Blu916

Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Now all you need is a Reo, and your arsenal will be complete. :2cool:

To answer Glenn-K's question, the Reo is more pocket friendly, and how can you hurt a solid block of aluminum?!
    The Reo Mini 2.1 even uses the same 18490 battery as the Provari (which really cuts down on the logistics)
    And don't worry Blu, it's only another $144 you need to save up :lol:

I'm not sure about a Reo, as I've never really liked the "Box" setups. However, I'll read up on them and something else to look into though for the future, but I have a feeling, I'll probably stick with the cylindrical setups. The big jump for me will be into RBA/RDA which I'm hoping to move into after I get good rebuilding the ProTank coils.

The next "BIG" purchase I'm coveting at the moment is a Kayfun 3.1 (Already mentioned it to the wife so maybe Santa will have some Brushed SS under the tree for me) :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Great info! Thanks so much Baditude, so High Drain only. Is the 2900 the biggest "capacity" you can get right now?
    Do you have a recommendation of the S Series over the Standard Platinum? Thanks again! :toast:
    Panasonic NCR18650PD Hybrid.jpg

Yes, the button-top NCR18650PD 2900mah is the largest capacity high drain hybrid available. Batteries : Panasonic High Drain NCR18650PD Hybrid 2900mAh Button Top

I wouldn't worry about the type of holes the Ikenvape cartos have. Just getting your hands on any of the 510-threaded cartos will be a treat as they are hard to get. Ikenvape cartos are only available from their website and often out of stock due to popularity, high demand, and limited production/shipments from the un-named China manufacturer that Ikenvape commissions to make them.

I use both the 510-Fusion (flanged) and the Platinum (un-flanged) and can not tell a difference between the two, other than they are better flavored and last longer than either Smoktech or Boge.

Last edited:

Blu916

Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Just remember that with the Kayfun/Protank, you can not do sub ohm coils on your Provari, but they will work great with normal resistance coils.

Yup, I had already read about the resistance limitations, thanks for the heads up! :)

no regrets....you'll love it.
    I bought two.

Thanks, its coming today! I can't wait!!

Also, can someone tell me how to get posting permissions in the Provari sub-forum? I was there today I can't seem to post or reply to posts there.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Also, can someone tell me how to get posting permissions in the Provari sub-forum? I was there today I can't seem to post or reply to posts there.
    You need to complete 5 posts in the New Members forum, which I see you now have. You should be able to post in the other forum categories now.

Kane76

Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    You'll love it...bought one for the wifey cuz all I use is bottom button mechanicals, & she didn't like using them. One night saw it standing on the dresser while she slept, tried it, liked it...found myself using it every time she went to sleep. So 2 months later I got myself one...It's what I use at work & where ever I go.

Blu916

Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm assuming this is no longer an issue, but you need to allow time for the forum to update after the 5th post (I understand this takes no more than an hour).

Nope still unable to post, went to ECF Chat to see if I could get a hold of a Forum Mod, but only found a Chat Mod, so I'll just lurk in the ProVari Sub-Forum until I can post... :unsure:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread