Elizabeth Comstock

Jun 19, 2015
Connecticut
Advanced release:

Flavoring Chemicals in E-Cigarettes: Diacetyl,
2,3-Pentanedione, and Acetoin in a Sample of
51 Products, Including Fruit-, Candy-,
and Cocktail-Flavored E-Cigarettes

Yes I saw this as well and am concerned. Can't seem to get anyone to respond. I see that 50 some odd members saw this post but no one chose to or felt as if they could respond. The vendors I use have not responded. Big bummer if this option turns out to be worse than the good old organic American Spirits I was so fond of. Haven't had one in 8 months and I think I will be getting off this vaping habit real, real soon.

Ddub22

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Did you download the study? Did you read it?
Look at the amounts present. They counted some samples that were detected, but so miniscule that they couldn't quantify it. These authors were arguing the limits for safe exposure on many grounds... Do you know why? Most of these samples are considered safe by work limits. Which is between 1 and 1000 and 1 in 10,000 with adverse effect, which is between .1-1%.
You breath in worse with every breath near a highway. If you smoked, your levels were 110 times e cig exposure.
You have 3 choices.
Find a vendor you trust that either has or is in the process of testing their liquids.
vape no flavoring just to be safe
Or quit.

Just don't pick cigarettes up again. It is 110x worse, and that is just the diacetyl.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Did you download the study? Did you read it?
L
Find a vendor you trust that either has or is in the process of testing their liquids.
vape no flavoring just to be safe
Or quit.

Just don't pick cigarettes up again. It is 110x worse, and that is just the diacetyl.

Yup. Nothing has changed for me.

Dr. F.'s gut feeling back in 2013 was that DAP was to be avoided in eliquid.

Add to that, I took up vaping as harm reduction. I never thought it was entirely *safe*.

Your suggestions are excellent. IF one has any worries: Vape to stay off the cigs which we already know are bad for ya. Find vendors who provide test results, or vape unflavored. Or, give up vaping.

Plenty of options there if ya ask me. ;)

I keep my own counsel, so I make my own decisions. So will everyone else. But I'm not totally invested in the idea that vaping is totallly safe, I mean, if I did that it would lead to what I call *desperation* thinking. I'm not desperate. Stuff you desperately want to believe but may not be entirely valid.

I accept vaping for how it may be "better than smoking", but that doesn't mean I cast concerns to the wind. this is my lungs we are talkin' 'bout. Many of us have made adjustments to the way we vape, that includes flavorings, amount vaped per day, amount of vapor production that we want to go into our lungs, etc. etc.

Just do what you are comfortable with. Or, find other NRT/harm reduction methods. There are plenty and there is a SNUS forum area here. :)

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Vape no flavoring just to be safe
    Or quit.

I don't know the exact amount, but I know that most liquids do not add tar to your lungs. I should say that I am nearly 100% positive that for most all pre-mixed and DIY juices, this is 0. As in zero, nada, zilch.. Now NET and WTA juices may have some tar that goes on the trip to ones lungs, but I think it's probably way less than a cigarette. I think tar is mainly produced by the combustion of tobacco, rather than tobacco itself, but I'm not a doctor or a scientist, nor have I ever portrayed one on TV.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread