ka1 clapton long ramp up on dual coil build

Status
Not open for further replies.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
so i was trying a clapton build for my dual coil rda (iCon rda). bought a spool of geekvape 26x32ga KA1 clapton. problem is the ramp up time on that rda. takes ~1s for it to get going, even then the vapor and flavor production is very poor. I did all the necessary stuff beforehand (strums, no hot legs, etc).

I put the same build on NaRda though it's single coil, 3mm ID 6wraps with a much better result, ramp up time is good, as does the flavor and vapor production.

need advice on this, did I do something wrong on the dual coil build?

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
What device are you using...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Wismec Predator

32g is too large for anything but core wire. Any geekvape wire of any kind is trash.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

aw :(
I have the 2x twisted kanthal and SS316L from Geekvape, those 2 performs really well on my builds.
any other brand recommendation for wire spools?

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
Ok... the mod's not the problem, and IMO, neither is the wire... it's by no means great wire, but it's perfectly usable... up your wattage...

will do. thanks!
the same build fires almost instantly on my narda (voltage reading at 4v), does dual coils need much more power? considering it runs in parallel, it shouldnt be right? resistance reads at around .4
if I rebuild with less wraps, at around 4-5 wraps, will it help with the ramp up time? cause less surface area and what not..

sorry for the questions, relatively new to all of these, heh. been only vaping around 4 months, and im mostly a single coil and simple round wires kinda guy.

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
Dual coils means twice the mass if you're comparing identical coils so yeah it'll need more power.
If you're using regulated mods lower mass builds are always going to ramp faster if the power stays the same which is why a 32g wrap is just ridiculous.
36g wrap is the biggest wrap I'd ever consider using for anything.
You could pretty easily outperform a 26/32 clapton with a few parallel stands of 30g or 28g.
Since the wrap isn't part of the circuit a good amount of your batteries will be spent just heating the wrap and the vape won't be any better than simple naked builds.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
Dual coils means twice the mass if you're comparing identical coils so yeah it'll need more power.
If you're using regulated mods lower mass builds are always going to ramp faster if the power stays the same which is why a 32g wrap is just ridiculous.
36g wrap is the biggest wrap I'd ever consider using for anything.
You could pretty easily outperform a 26/32 clapton with a few parallel stands of 30g or 28g.
Since the wrap isn't part of the circuit a good amount of your batteries will be spent just heating the wrap and the vape won't be any better than simple naked builds.

thanks for the inputs! very helpful.
im gonna try rebuild with less wraps, see if it helps, if not probably im going to mess around a bit with parallel coils (never use one) and use the 26/32 exclusively for my single coil RBAs.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
will do. thanks!
the same build fires almost instantly on my narda (voltage reading at 4v), does dual coils need much more power? considering it runs in parallel, it shouldnt be right? resistance reads at around .4
if I rebuild with less wraps, at around 4-5 wraps, will it help with the ramp up time? cause less surface area and what not..

sorry for the questions, relatively new to all of these, heh. been only vaping around 4 months, and im mostly a single coil and simple round wires kinda guy.
I suggest you do a bit of reading on ohms law. The mod you're using can protect you from most common goofs (resistance too high/low, short, etc.), but those protections are no substitute for a bit o knowledge.

Yes, generally speaking, the more wire stuffed into an atomizer, the more power it'll take to warm it up. Conversely, and also generally speaking, each additional coil is going to reduce the resistance... if a single is .6, a dual will be .3, and a triple will be .2, and so on.

Removing wraps from a coil can decrease the mass, but it also decreases the resistance.

In this case, you've got a mod that can easily push those coils... I suggest starting out around 60 watts, and adding around 5 watts each pull or so until you're happy with it.

As for wire, again, the joy of vaping is that there's something for everyone... some folks like really tiny wires, others like really chunky wires. You use what you have, and what you like...

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
tried the 6wraps build, and crank out the wattage (60-65), vapor production was good but it vapes too warm for my taste.
So I rebuild with 4/5 wraps, same Geekvape KA1 clapton, and made sure the wick ammount is just right so it doesnt choke, my wicking may be a factor on the sub-par performance previously, too much resistance, I didnt factor that cotton expand when you put ejuice on it, so yeah..
with this 2nd build, ramp time is good, flavor and vapor production are satisfying as well.
That feeling when you find "The" build that works for your devices is great, man :D

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread