Kanger OCC Coil Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikecomp93

Dec 6, 2014
Middletown, NJ
whats up fellow vapers!

so i have been using the Kanger Subtank series the past few weeks; the plus, mini, and nano. i love all of them, they are perfect for on the go.

i have only used the OCC coil heads so far, both the 1.2ohm and .5ohm. i prefer the .5ohm because i feel i get better flavor and vapor production. but i have noticed one thing and it's really starting to irritate me. the coils on the .5ohm OCC's gunk up so fast and give dry hits after only about a day or two before i replace them. i go anywhere between 1-3 tank fulls a day. right now i am using two different 80VG/20PG juices that i got from Vapetrik because they are great flavors and i personally prefer 60VG and higher.

i am thinking the higher VG rating has something to do with the coils gunking up so quickly but i wanted to see what others have experienced and done to fix this issue?

ps: i primarily use the STM on a VW device with a sony vtc4. i typically vape anywhere between 12-24watts depending on if i'm getting flavor or dry hits.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Higher VG juices, sweeter VG juices and darker colored juices will gunk up coils faster. I haven't run into any problems with the 0.5 ohm coils gunking up after a couple of days use and giving me dry hits. They last me between 1 to 2 weeks. Higher VG juices will have a tendency to wick slower. Are you taking really long hits? If you're taking like 5 or 6 second hits it might not be able to feed the juice into the coil quick enough to prevent a dry hit. I generally take about a 2-3 second hit at 20 watts and I am using a sweet 80/20 juice and have no issues with dry hits. I do notice that if I extend my draw to 4 or 5 second then the tail end of the draw starts to taste like the coil is running dry.

Mikecomp93

Dec 6, 2014
Middletown, NJ
Higher VG juices, sweeter VG juices and darker colored juices will gunk up coils faster. I haven't run into any problems with the 0.5 ohm coils gunking up after a couple of days use and giving me dry hits. They last me between 1 to 2 weeks. Higher VG juices will have a tendency to wick slower. Are you taking really long hits? If you're taking like 5 or 6 second hits it might not be able to feed the juice into the coil quick enough to prevent a dry hit. I generally take about a 2-3 second hit at 20 watts and I am using a sweet 80/20 juice and have no issues with dry hits. I do notice that if I extend my draw to 4 or 5 second then the tail end of the draw starts to taste like the coil is running dry.

thats what i figured on the higher VG, sweeter and darker juices. i generally take the same hit, 2-3 seconds. and youre exactly right when you take a 4-6 second hit is when you get that dry hit at the tail end. i do get that sometimes though with the 2-3 second hits. but my main concern is getting those nasty dry hits only after a day or so with the occ coil head. i mean it's really starting to get irritating having to replace the occ after only 2 or 3 days. i guess maybe i'll just have to find a lower VG juice or start rebuilding these things on my own so i dont have to keep buying more and more occ coils.

thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread